Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084865 times)

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile

I'm the best Vanu sniper ever.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My current want for ESF Fix...
Not able to eject from ESF in flight unless you have an Ejection Seat...
Too many Suicide Players ejecting when their craft is about to go down...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I probably got about 50 certs per hour while playing with The Ascended.

But then again, i was in the defense squad, wich i really enjoyed too. Just gotta learn how to fly a plane.

@Neyvn If they make ejection seat standard, amounts of flares will double.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They don't sell you power is only true if you think in the most simple of short term - terms.

They allow you to get power faster, if not straight out buy them.

Easy example:

Rocketlaucher.

Basic - fires straight only, normal damage
Anti Vehicle - CAN fire straight, more damage + possibly lock on.

Yeah.

Still a side-grade.

Basic: DMG 1000     Speed 100    (fast, weaker, dumbfire)
AV:    DMG 1500     Speed  40     (easy to evade slow fired rocket)
AA:    DMG 1275     Speed 100    (only engages air)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AuOojvNLMApVdEtIU1NKenEzNzZOSWNaanFqSUVxLWc&gid=12
Yeah, that doesn't really fly. The AA rocketlauncher is better at dumbfire than the default one.
Yup, near as I can tell the AA rocketlauncher still works better than the regular one against ground targets.

There's also an NC sniper rifle the SAS-R that's listed on there, it's better than the basic sniper rifle in every respect except projectile speed (which means you have to lead slightly further). The only drawback is that you have to actually buy a scope for it, it only comes with ironsights default.

EDIT: Oh, and of course you've got the rocket pods, which make fighters incredibly good at just blowing apart clusters of infantry and such, they also work pretty well against other fighters and liberators if you get close and sneak up on them.

Also the air superiority gun seems to be better than the basic gun in every respect except ammo. It's better against aircraft, it's better against infantry, it's better against vehicles, but you do need to resupply pretty soon.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 12:22:54 pm by Pnx »

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's also an NC sniper rifle the SAS-R that's listed on there, it's better than the basic sniper rifle in every respect except projectile speed (which means you have to lead slightly further). The only drawback is that you have to actually buy a scope for it, it only comes with ironsights default.

Umm, what? The SAS-R has exactly the same damage as the default LA80. The SAS-R gains a slightly faster reload speed and small RoF bonus, in exchange for a pretty hefty drop in projectile speed. That, plus the fact that it comes with ironsights, suggests it's designed to be a slightly closer-range weapon than the default rifle.

EDIT: Oh, and of course you've got the rocket pods, which make fighters incredibly good at just blowing apart clusters of infantry and such, they also work pretty well against other fighters and liberators if you get close and sneak up on them.

Only if they're not moving - the slow-firing rockets are utterly useless against anything that's mobile. A Lib has enough armour to react before the rockets kill them, though they'll be heavily damaged. And fighters are almost never stationary in combat.

Also the air superiority gun seems to be better than the basic gun in every respect except ammo. It's better against aircraft, it's better against infantry, it's better against vehicles, but you do need to resupply pretty soon.

That's because hemmingjay mis-typed his values. Sorry, hemmingjay.  :( The sheet actually gives values of:

Basic: 1700    Speed: 100
AV:    1500    Speed: 40
AA:    1275    Speed: 100

Note that all of them have a splash damage of 1000, so you're better off using the basic or AA rockets for infantry killing.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

The AA rockets have the advantage of a straight trajectory, at least.

The AV rockets seem useless, though. I mean, sure, you're more likely to hit your target... if you sit and wait for it to lock. You can usually spend the same time or less aiming and still get a good chance of hitting an unaware enemy, plus the basic rocket has a lot better damage range.
Nothing important here, move along.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The AV rocket's not bad at long-range combat. If you're firing at a vehicle a distance away, they can intentionally dodge dumbfire rockets.

But yeah, I agree: the AV rocket is very situational, and 9 times out of 10 I'd rather have the default rocket.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

Okay, getting to a base, there's a few tanks sitting outside the gate, shooting towers or something... I deploy my sundy, switch to LA, jump over the wall, kill some guys, disable the gen, and then they pour through, meanwhile spawning like madmen for some reason (by now theres over 25 of my guys running around).

This is why I don't join squads zergs.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Umm, what? The SAS-R has exactly the same damage as the default LA80. The SAS-R gains a slightly faster reload speed and small RoF bonus, in exchange for a pretty hefty drop in projectile speed. That, plus the fact that it comes with ironsights, suggests it's designed to be a slightly closer-range weapon than the default rifle.
The projectile speed drop is pretty meaningless, the 10% difference just means the bullet arrives .26 seconds later, instead of .25 seconds later, if you could hit with one, you can generally hit with the other. It makes some difference at longer ranges because you have to adjust for a greater bullet drop, but this is not really a huge deal.

The reload speed is also pretty pointless, but the recocking speed (which I don't believe is shown on there) is not, you can recock the SAS-R quite a bit faster than you can recock the LA80, which makes a huge difference when you're trying to snipe a target that's moving around too much to hit in the head. If you hit someone in the chest, you need to hit them again in order to finish them off, with the SAS-R the faster recock which lets you fire your second shot faster, means that it's much easier to kill someone with two chest shots, while being ever so slightly more difficult to kill them with a headshot (at least with a scope you have to pay 100 certs for).

Only if they're not moving - the slow-firing rockets are utterly useless against anything that's mobile. A Lib has enough armour to react before the rockets kill them, though they'll be heavily damaged. And fighters are almost never stationary in combat.
Eh, I've done a try before you buy with them a few times and I never had that much trouble against moving targets (unless they were lightnings or something), in all honesty I never found them that great against vehicles, but they are better than the main guns. Where they really excel is at quickly hosing down clusters of infantry, you can rack up a hell of a lot of kills by blasting the rear of a sunderer. As for liberators, in my experience most liberators have to hover if they want to get a steady shot, especially if they're at the ceiling, if you come up behind them in a fighter while they're distracted, it can be pretty easy to get really close and then hammer into them with the rockets. Then when they inevitably start running away you can gun them down. It's by no means perfect, and it helps to have someone with you who can help finish them off, but it does do nothing but add to your killing power.

That's because hemmingjay mis-typed his values. Sorry, hemmingjay.  :( The sheet actually gives values of:

Basic: 1700    Speed: 100
AV:    1500    Speed: 40
AA:    1275    Speed: 100

Note that all of them have a splash damage of 1000, so you're better off using the basic or AA rockets for infantry killing.
I was actually refering to the air superiority cannons on the fighters. They're slightly worse when strafing vehicles at a range, but better under most other circumstances.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

So... my faction just captured a continent... I think?... Do you have to capture the warp gates to accomplish this?... can the warp gates be captured?... is there anyway to learn about this stuff without sitting through a 20 min video?... I managed to hunt down a couple testimonies stating that basically nothing happens... there's no announcement on screen and no notable reward for this accomplishment... yes every statement in this post is delineated with ellipses to express how perplexed I am by this game design... I would think that capturing a continent would be a big deal... this is the first time I've seen it happen in like 30 hours of gameplay, and for being the heavily implied ultimate goal of the game, there is suspiciously little concrete information about it anywhere...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

theres no big message in the sky, no.

but you can tell when its done because you'll have the bonus and the continent will be your colour in the warp gate thingy

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did they actually make it so a faction can capture a continent? Because last time I checked, you could push back the other 2 groups and make everything but the warp gates your territory, and then you waited until enough players were on that they could push back.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can't capture warpgates, you can't even get close because it'll say you're out of bounds and kill you after ten seconds if you get too close. A continent is conquered when everything except the the other faction's warpgates is under your control, at which point your team will get a bonus on all three continents until someone else captures that continent. The bonuses are honestly not all that great either.

There is really not ultimate goal, you just fight, fight, and fight some more. Something to give all of this some kind of greater meaning might be nice, but as far as I know there really isn't one planned, it's just an endless, ultimately pointless war where the three sides go back and forth taking the same territories over and over and over again. Which is fine I guess.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

39% TR population on Waterson. I feel like such mainstream trash now. ;_;

The Hipster is strong with this one.

No, but really, you and your TR compatriots really are mainstream trash.

:P
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

So... my faction just captured a continent... I think?... Do you have to capture the warp gates to accomplish this?... can the warp gates be captured?... is there anyway to learn about this stuff without sitting through a 20 min video?... I managed to hunt down a couple testimonies stating that basically nothing happens... there's no announcement on screen and no notable reward for this accomplishment... yes every statement in this post is delineated with ellipses to express how perplexed I am by this game design... I would think that capturing a continent would be a big deal... this is the first time I've seen it happen in like 30 hours of gameplay, and for being the heavily implied ultimate goal of the game, there is suspiciously little concrete information about it anywhere...

The game can technically be "won" if one faction controls the entirety of all of the continents (except for enemy warpgates, obviously); the NC did it something like five times in the original (and the Vanu once, maybe). But IIRC there's no concrete reward from doing so, just bragging rights.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 826