Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089622 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #7500 on: May 26, 2013, 11:53:02 pm »

I love shotgun headshots in all games. Favorite one was in Ace of Spades.

But I hate the slugs, at least right now, due to low FPS. Initially I wanted a sniper rifle for my LA, but it didn't work out... eh.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7501 on: May 27, 2013, 12:36:44 am »

I'm working my way up the cert ladder to dual Mattocks for my NC MAX, that's 2000 certs for both arms, and another 1000 for extended mags on both, then 400 for the final level of MAX FLAK armor.

I've got one arm at the moment and the base scattercannon left arm, its pretty decent out to ~30 meters.

You can even take it outside sometimes.

Does anyone have an opinion on slug rounds for the NC MAX?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7502 on: May 27, 2013, 04:02:02 am »

Shotgun headshots. Their impossibility reminds me of rocket headshots, which are undoubtly the best headshots.

Um, why exactly would it be impossible to shoot someone in the head with a shotgun?

Up close?
No problem.
Medium/long range with everyone constantly moving?
Nearly impossible,
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7503 on: May 27, 2013, 09:01:05 am »

So now that the merge is in place, Connery players, sound off!

[LNML]Sysion, VS

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7504 on: May 27, 2013, 01:17:58 pm »

JimGroovester, TR.

Does anyone know enough about the TR MAXes to say whether dual Mutilators is a good investment?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 04:53:45 pm by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7505 on: May 27, 2013, 07:40:57 pm »

So I felt like I was playing beta tonight.

Only instead of TR all MAX armies it was VS all MAX armies. VS MAXes that move as fast as regular infantry and deal bonus damage. That they take extra damage doesn't seem to matter given they still have a vast amount more health and damage reduction than infantry, can still be repaired and can move to break line-of-sight easily. And unlike beta you can't one-shot them with rockets.

I'm hoping it feels less excessive once the hype dies down and not everyone with the certs to spend is spamming MAX suits on cooldown, but until then I think I might focus on fighting TR.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7506 on: May 28, 2013, 02:54:32 am »

Yes, finally. A VS MAX used to be a rare sight, they're finally getting some attention. It'll level out, it's just that all us VS people never successfully played a MAX before, so we're all trying it out :)
It's too bad I use so much C4 and Tankmines that I rarely have the resources for a MAX.

Also, over 1100 certs to spend after this weekend. No idea what to spend it on. Better mag? Or even a different cannon or Saron on top? Start certing into the lightning? Or maybe the lib? Or make my scythe better even though I suck at it? Or maybe just get some decent armor for my infantry classes? Or get an SMG for close quarter infiltrator annoyance? There's so much that I want to do......

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7507 on: May 28, 2013, 04:55:01 am »

I never understood why the VS so rarely used their MAXes before, in normal battles (i.e. not one-on-one) they were roughly as potent as the TR MAXes, it's just that there were usually less of them.

The ZOE is insane, though. It's not that it wins you all that many battles that you wouldn't win before, but it allows you to back out of the ones you don't win. Choosing your battles is an amazingly powerful ability, since it allows you to stay alive a lot longer, and it's a luxury that is afforded only to the VS MAX. There's a reason that the MAX crash was always the most effective MAX tactic, and that almost all other tactics involved defending. The VS MAX is now a defensive powerhouse, by virtue of being a MAX, and an offensive powerhouse, able to keep up with infantry pushes by pressing F. On top of this, they get a (not amazing) damage bonus and can freely toggle between the two without any form of cooldown.

There's simply no real downside to the VS MAX in the same way the two other abilities have downsides. The TR can't move, and the NC can't shoot with their ability, and they take a second or a few to toggle. Meanwhile VS gets to instantly shut off the ZOE whenever the armour reduction is more of a downside than the damage + movement speed buff is an upside.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7508 on: May 28, 2013, 05:36:04 am »

Just keep shooting them. They really die easily, the problem is just that there are so many of them.

The rest of the VS is all like

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7509 on: May 28, 2013, 05:41:27 am »

It's very difficult to keep shooting them when they can retreat and reengage at will due to a much faster speed. Remember that a ZOE MAX has 50% higher walk/strafe speed than infantry and roughly the same sprint speed while retaining their much higher HP pool (even after armour reduction, a ZOE MAX has more effective HP than infantry) and damage than infantry.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7510 on: May 28, 2013, 06:30:01 am »

I never understood why the VS so rarely used their MAXes before, in normal battles (i.e. not one-on-one) they were roughly as potent as the TR MAXes, it's just that there were usually less of them.
IIRC, the weapons were simply subpar compared to TR or NC for most useful ranges (CQC in particular), attributed to bugs (Blueshift) and relative differences in accuracy and DPS. (Occasionally, lack of unique features to set them apart as is often the case when comparing TR and VS, further attributing to the negative image). This relegated most of them to mostly AA duty.
Granted, several passes has been made and Blueshift is finally working as advertised so now with ZOE, the VS MAX has finally moved out of the "worthless" club.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7511 on: May 28, 2013, 06:36:30 am »

It's very difficult to keep shooting them when they can retreat and reengage at will due to a much faster speed. Remember that a ZOE MAX has 50% higher walk/strafe speed than infantry and roughly the same sprint speed while retaining their much higher HP pool (even after armour reduction, a ZOE MAX has more effective HP than infantry) and damage than infantry.
MAXes are supposed to be better than infantry, right?
The mobility now makes it a better all-round unit than the TR and NC MAXes, where before it was the laughing stock of the entire game. All of the VS is now "YAY WE GET MAXES TOO" and that'll die down eventually. I'd rather have had the flying MAXes from PS1 though.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7512 on: May 28, 2013, 07:12:11 am »

MAXes are not supposed to be better at infantry at everything, they have strengths and weaknesses. Their strength was higher defensive and offensive presence in the form of higher HP and firepower. Their weakness was always lower mobility. Now, the VS MAX has gotten the ability to at any time invert the weakness into a strength for the cost of reducing one of the original strengths of the MAX.

I'm not against the VS having a good MAX, I'm against them having one with no weaknesses compared to the other MAXes. I would reduce the movement speed buff of the ZOE to normal infantry levels, which is still a substantial buff. it's ridiculous that a MAX moves faster than normal infantry while still retaining high damage and health. Or maybe add some form of cooldown, like the HA overshield or the infiltrator's cloak. Or, finally, have the ZOE spool up over a second or so when toggled, during which it has the armour reduction but not the speed or damage buffs.

Either one of these things would level it out more with the other MAXes.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7513 on: May 28, 2013, 08:18:29 am »

Hmm, I always gathered that the MAX's disadvantages were no weapon swapping (you're stuck with what you picked), no way to interact (cap or overload), and they cost resources, not specifically the lack of mobility. Perhaps because, again, PS1 MAXes.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7514 on: May 28, 2013, 08:22:26 am »

What? No, you can swap weapons with a MAX at a weapon terminal just like with any other class.
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 826