Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089845 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #7845 on: June 27, 2013, 12:20:14 pm »

So if aircraft has to be better than infantry, and common enough that newbies get lots of time to practice it, why would anyone do anything other than fly?

Seriously, vehicles don't deserve to be better than infantry and be able to be used exclusively at the same time.
I don't think anyone thinks vehicles should be able to be used exclusively unless you're both good and lucky sustainably (and probably subscribe for more resources). The question 'why would anyone do anything other than fly?' is silly, flying is difficult and can't capture bases. most people have no interest in it. Vehicles should always be better than infantry 1 on 1 except for some scenarios with MAXes, because otherwise vehicles don't make any sense in a strategic sense and vehicles would never be used for warfare because everyone is a super soldier. A group of infantry working together or using the element of surprise should certainly be able to destroy vehicles.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7846 on: June 27, 2013, 01:15:33 pm »

I get the feeling an experienced pilot probably doesn't have much difficulty in keeping his ESF alive for 5 minutes and accumulating 250 resources in the process... so if a pilot can expect to fly 24/7, then why can't you expect to solo him? (Or, at least, chase him off.)
I bolded the problem. If newbie pilots get shot down constantly, they won't become experienced pilots and aircraft will gradually dissapear from the game.
If he keeps flying aircraft and kills things with relative impunity he won't learn either.
Now if he gets killed by a Skyguard and ask himself the question... why did i get killed?
AND if he finds a solution to it then you have a pilot that just gained some RL experience.

A pilot that repeats hes mistakes over and over and over again will never improve (and become an experienced pilot).

As for the Vehicle/Infantry problem...
There is a LOT more infantry running about than vehicles so if ANYONE wants infantry to be on par with vehicles... than what's the point of vehicles in the first place?

A ESF that flies around an infantry blob will sooner or later get shot at by 2 AA missiles or punctured by flak.
A tank that drives into a infantry blob will get mined/c4'd/rocketed to death before it reloads them ain gun.

Vehicles are ALREADY balanced against infantry by the fact there always WILL be more infantry than vehicles.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7847 on: June 27, 2013, 01:19:48 pm »

Exactly. Getting shot down is becoming more experienced. We learn from failures, not successes.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7848 on: June 28, 2013, 03:44:09 am »

Problem is in the case of lockon launcher there's not a lot of experience involved. It really takes minimal skill for the player using it and the player in the plane it being used on. There really is no counterplay involved apart from flare usage, unless you consider holding your reticule near an air target for a few seconds, and turning tail and flying away, skillfull plays.

Contrary to flak where there is constant counterplay between the player using the weapon and the player being shot by it, namely the shooter's ability to aim and predict movement when leading shots and the pilots ability to dodge and avoid fire, there really is no skillful or fun interaction in the case of lockons. There is for the pilot being targeted really nothing to learn, or to improve upon. Only possible interaction is when you're getting locked use flares turn tail and run. Not even any way to 'outplay' the rocket as you can no longer use terrain since the rocket ai goes around obstacles, or manage to get a rocket off your tail with sharp turns like you used to be able to way back.

Only lesson you learn through experience as pilot is don't go near large fights with enough heavies with lockons. You don't need to become experienced and gain skill, just to learn this simple but sad fact.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 03:47:43 am by Jelle »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7849 on: June 28, 2013, 04:52:57 am »

When I was flying I avoided most lockon missiles shot at me by terrain dodging.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7850 on: June 28, 2013, 05:05:50 am »

From my experience a mossy with racer can often outrun missiles... and i say that as a mossy pilot.
Most of my deaths in a mossy came from another aircraft and flak guns.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7851 on: June 28, 2013, 05:23:09 am »

I bolded the problem. If newbie pilots get shot down constantly, they won't become experienced pilots and aircraft will gradually dissapear from the game.
I doubt aircraft will ever come close to disappearing from the game.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7852 on: June 28, 2013, 06:00:15 am »

Then you were flying before lockons started going around terrain, or you're making things up.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7853 on: June 28, 2013, 06:06:43 am »

The missiles go around terrain (but only recently), but you can interrupt the locking-on-process by going around terrain. If you fly low and fast and have some stealth certed for longer lockon times, it's quite possible, I think.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7854 on: June 28, 2013, 06:09:17 am »

Then you were flying before lockons started going around terrain, or you're making things up.
Indeed, it was before they added terrain avoidance.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7855 on: June 28, 2013, 07:18:46 am »

From what I can tell, the new terrain avoidance isn't foolproof, I've seen non-ECM'd missiles fly into terrain before, though it seems to be a rare occurance.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7856 on: June 28, 2013, 10:14:17 am »

From what I can tell, the new terrain avoidance isn't foolproof, I've seen non-ECM'd missiles fly into terrain before, though it seems to be a rare occurance.
Yeah, I've managed to dodge them like that before but you have to pull some real crazy moves.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #7857 on: June 28, 2013, 10:23:47 am »

(*quote pyramid*)

I've managed to dodge 2 simultaneous Strikers that were shot at me. Well, less, dodge, more "fly next to an enemy plane and have them hit it" XD
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7858 on: June 28, 2013, 04:27:28 pm »

You would've thought that they wouldve gone with a require constant lock system, like the ps1 striker. 

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7859 on: June 28, 2013, 06:17:32 pm »

That's how it was going to work but I guess they got lazy or figured they'd work on that later.
nothing
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 826