Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089876 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #10530 on: June 03, 2014, 03:08:00 am »

Not sure what you mean, I've never had problems finding a larger battle even without a squad, it's just usually better -with- a squad =p

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10531 on: June 03, 2014, 03:14:47 am »

I have discovered the fun of antitank mines. I figured that c4 would be plain better and engi would have a really rough time getting the mines where they need to be, but there are always lowpop fights where they simply cant keep the sunderer guarded. That, and there are a lot of times where tanks are just roaming around your base as you're losing it - you can almost always drop some pretty much anywhere around your base and they'll eventually drive over it. Also have had luck using them as anti-MAX mines. The possibilities are endless!

One thing I've come to dislike about planetside is that the playerbase is too small. I get all pumped up to play, jump on, and find out that there's no one playing and the biggest fight is some 6v1 on esamir. Waterson sucks.

You need to play on Indar for most servers. I think only Connery has any good fights on Amerish at primetime.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10532 on: June 03, 2014, 03:19:31 am »

but there are always lowpop fights where they simply cant keep the sunderer guarded.

Don't let the size of a fight stop you from making a sundy run. It's more than possible to pop a sundy in a heavily populated fight by being a little sneaky, using ambiguous camo and armor, and looking like you belong.

Mine runs on sundies are less effective now since they reduced the no-deploy radius on sunderers, making deployed sunderers that much more numerous. It's hard to stop a zerg if their spawn options drop from eight down to seven.

Remember the magic combo: throw a mine, throw a sticky grenade, throw the second mine, run! You get extra points if you spam callouts for repairs and help while doing this.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10533 on: June 03, 2014, 03:53:11 am »

You need to play on Indar for most servers. I think only Connery has any good fights on Amerish at primetime.

NC is warpgated on Indar, and for whatever reason this makes it so the continent is completely abandoned. Some small fights broke out on Esamir and Amerish, but Indar was empty all night. Otherwise yes, that's where most of the fighting is.

Not sure what you mean, I've never had problems finding a larger battle even without a squad, it's just usually better -with- a squad =p

I don't play primetime. In fact, I play at like 2am server time - I probably should of been a little smarter with my server, heh. Just picked the closest one to me. Regardless, now I have a lot of time invested on a server that's nearly empty when I play. Yay me!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 03:55:30 am by Rex_Nex »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10534 on: June 03, 2014, 06:21:58 am »

You play connery? what faction?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10535 on: June 03, 2014, 08:35:55 am »

Honestly the game is in trouble, populations are down by 40% since the beginning of the year. Mostly, due to SOEs stupid balance decisions and lack of new content.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10536 on: June 03, 2014, 11:42:54 am »

Don't let the size of a fight stop you from making a sundy run. It's more than possible to pop a sundy in a heavily populated fight by being a little sneaky, using ambiguous camo and armor, and looking like you belong.
I actually found it easier to get to sunderers in a zerg due to it being so chaotic and most people just dont expect to see someone so close to the sunderer and/or far away from the front fighting.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10537 on: June 03, 2014, 11:47:57 am »

I actually found it easier to get to sunderers in a zerg due to it being so chaotic and most people just dont expect to see someone so close to the sunderer and/or far away from the front fighting.

My standard tactic is to use things like buildings and rocks to fly overhead as LA. This works better for other vehicles that die to two C4s rather than just barely surviving, but usually someone has done some other damage to the Sundi.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10538 on: June 03, 2014, 11:56:13 am »

Well, I mostly did it as engineer during the time that two mines broke it unless it had mineguard.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10539 on: June 03, 2014, 02:04:06 pm »

I hear from outfit-mates that tanks mines are great for anti-infantry if you put a proximity mine on them to trigger them. Supposedly they can one shot a MAX with max level flak armour.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10540 on: June 03, 2014, 02:18:08 pm »

My standard tactic is to use things like buildings and rocks to fly overhead as LA. This works better for other vehicles that die to two C4s rather than just barely surviving, but usually someone has done some other damage to the Sundi.

If you grab the crossbow and explosive bolts, you can usually finish off a sundy you have dropped two bricks on in a clip or less. If you have good aim while in-flight, you can stick 2-3 bolts into it on your way in before you drop your bricks.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10541 on: June 03, 2014, 02:28:57 pm »

I just had a really silly bug. I stepped out of a Lightning onto a lifting thingy at a biolab, and I didn't stop going up after I left its influence. I went up to about 7500m before I respawned due to boredom. It reminds me of a certain poem by Shel Silverstein.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10542 on: June 03, 2014, 03:58:47 pm »

Where the Gravity Lift Ends?

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10543 on: June 03, 2014, 04:46:27 pm »

Sounds like a network problem, though who knows.  There have definitely been peculiar bugs in the past.  Anybody remember the day when people switching continents to esamir would spawn them in the air in a field in the middle of the continent?

Honestly the game is in trouble, populations are down by 40% since the beginning of the year. Mostly, due to SOEs stupid balance decisions and lack of new content.

If they released hossin, it would just be another continent that no one would play on outside of alerts.  A year ago or more the game had all the weapons it needed.  So what if they released that flying aircraft carrier thing?  The issue with PS2 since launch hasn't been a lack of content; it has been a lack of well-balanced content with an understanding of what it would do to the game.  The addition of any major vehicle change saw absurd balance issues (harasser with 40mm, rocket pods, etc.) that each took months to fix.  To be honest, it would take a massive amount of content to pull me in on that alone, like, an archipelago map, complete with an NS PT boat, vehicle-carrier galaxy variant, and a bunch of new assets for the bases on it.

The biggest problem is the clusterfuck of logistics and the mess it makes of the strategic game.  Because resources are neither limited nor localized, there's almost never a strategic interest in capturing specific outposts or facilities.  The total lack of ANT's and resupplying mechanics means that a large number of tactical situations can simply never occur.  No setting ambushes for reinforcing convoys, no glorious sprint into a facility running on fumes.  The addition of things like adjacency and lattice didn't fix the issues with the strategy level gameplay.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10544 on: June 03, 2014, 05:26:42 pm »

I just had a really silly bug. I stepped out of a Lightning onto a lifting thingy at a biolab, and I didn't stop going up after I left its influence. I went up to about 7500m before I respawned due to boredom. It reminds me of a certain poem by Shel Silverstein.

There was a patch today:

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/update-notes-june-3rd.188606/

Those new ribbons look good, and there is this:

The 3.4x Red Dot sight reticle will now show up better at night.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 05:31:15 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 826