Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089352 times)

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11130 on: August 16, 2014, 09:31:13 pm »

Hmm. Progress percentage disappeared, it was somewhere around 40%. Edit: Now it is installing a 6.200 thigymajigger, after the 9.000 MB one apparently finished.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:39:52 pm by Alev »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11131 on: August 16, 2014, 10:42:26 pm »

I think that the new alert system could use some changes. Earlier today VS triggered an alert and NC ended up with the most percentage yet it still ended in a draw. All things considered that should have been a win considering the VS weren't able to hold the largest share despite starting at 51%. The system as it stands benefits the strongest realm the most, and the weakest will lose territory until it's mostly only two realms fighting. Instead of that it should be the two weaker realms double teaming the strong one that started the alert in the first place.

To help fix it, I'd suggest the realm that triggers the alert loses if it doesn't have the highest percentage at the end instead of the current draw. The triggerer wins and locks if it makes it to 65%. The non-trigger winner would be the one that ends up with the most territory at the end as it's more than the trigger realm. If a different realm than the one that triggered the alert wins then the non-trigger realm that did not win would get a draw. If the trigger realm for the alert doesn't take 65% but does end the alert with the highest percent, it should then be a draw for all realms.

I would also like to suggest considering ways to counter the tendency to see one realm steamrolling the others at night time hours with massive overpopulation. There should be a very significant end alert reward reduction for having overpopulation. It should take into account how far apart the lowest population realm is from the others and the distance between the two highest population percentage numbers. This is because the weakest realm folds easily and is almost always devoured by the two realms who have the population to compete. It isn't bullying on the part of the other defender, it's just so the weaker realm's territories can be contested against the other power when the lattices allow it instead of being an easy capture. In addition sometimes both opposing realms are outnumbered, and one side having an easy win should be penalized instead of encouraged. I'd suggest it start as a small penalty after reaching unbalanced population for the first three percent of continent population advantage and quickly ramp up after that. At what point in the alert you measure I don't know, but maybe you could divide the alert into time segments where the population in each segment is measured for a reward and then add the awards together at the end. You could even add a nifty graph that shows population, possibly including in each contested hex, that shows how hard fought the victory was or if it was essentially a steamroll after halfway through.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 11:15:58 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #11132 on: August 17, 2014, 01:08:49 am »

There's night-time hours, on any highly populated server?
It's a game. Have fun.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11133 on: August 17, 2014, 03:03:38 am »

You do have a good point there.  :P
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11134 on: August 17, 2014, 07:34:22 am »

Now that we have a shotgun pistol, I think NC really needs a shotgun for the rocket launcher slot to complete the set. I'm thinking same damage and spread as the canister, but with just one round loaded at the time (a bit more in reserve than rocket launchers, though).
That sounds... Fun actually. Big ass shotgun rocket thing...
I reckon it'd be plenty useful in CQC for dealing with MAXes, and completely useless against vehicles.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11135 on: August 17, 2014, 11:56:38 am »

PS2 on MAc didn't work. It entered full screen mode, and then crashed with a black screen. Oh well.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11136 on: August 17, 2014, 05:00:55 pm »

I've started to move on over from AP Lightning to AP Vanguard, and am enjoying myself. Running reinforced frontal/rival/shield with the Halberd as my secondary (VERY convenient for it to go on sale today). I'll eventually migrate over from reinforced frontal to either autorepair/radar/stealth, but I havent decided yet and reinforced front/sides are probably the best you can do with 100 certs.

Pros over the lightning:

Nothing beats you 1v1. Except air, but fuck air :P
You can 2v1 AP Lightnings, 3v1 any other kind. With an engineer repairing, you can pretty much deal with an endless stream of 1v1 lightning encounters. Great in smaller armor-centric fights.
One-shots ESFs, can easily take out careless Libs.
Losing your vanguard is a bit harder than losing a Lightning. In the Lightning, there will be a lot of deaths that you really couldn't see coming or avoid.
Allows you to play with a buddy.
Ammo is a lot less scarce at lower capacity levels due to the longer reload and higher damage per shell.

Cons:

It moves very slowly. It doesn't sound like a big deal at first, but the improved mobility on even the stock Lightning is actually important in reality.
Dealing with infantry is a nightmare. It's a bigger target, can be chased down a lot more easily, kills them slower, and dies to just as many mines.
If you decide to roll with an armor column in large fights, render range becomes your worst enemy, and unlike in a lightning you can't just run.
Much bigger cert sink than the lightning.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11137 on: August 17, 2014, 05:24:28 pm »

From what i know if you reinforce the sides on the vanguard then the sides become actually stronger than the front.. it's pretty much an IS-4 :P
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11138 on: August 17, 2014, 05:41:34 pm »

Yeah. According to the wiki, the Vanguard has 66% damage absorption from the front, and 65% on the sides. This sounds fishy to me, because if that's the case reinforced frontal is absolutely useless, giving 5% less damage absorption to a much smaller area. The only perk is not having to turn broadside.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11139 on: August 17, 2014, 07:22:48 pm »

Yeah it has very strong side armor to begin with... and people tent to try and shoot the side if they can so you don't have to even try showing the side because people will actively try shooting your strongest (side) armor... just "angle" the tank to show a bit of the side and people will usually shoot it there.
Self promotion below.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11140 on: August 17, 2014, 07:34:44 pm »

Armor doesn't actually work like that, it doesn't care where the shell lands - top, side, rear, whatever. It just cares about their tanks' position to yours, so if you angle but they are still in front of you, they'll deal damage to the frontal armor even if they shoot the side.

The fact it doesn't care about shell placement, angle, etc. and is really kind of a drag, it makes the armor game a lot less dynamic than it should be... but hey, I guess this isn't WoT, we can't expect such luxuries ._.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11141 on: August 17, 2014, 07:47:23 pm »

I'm not saying you should angle it like in WoT. i'm saying that if you have extra side armor you should "angle" it to expose some of your side armor.
People will generally try shooting the side as they percieve it as weaker... so you don't have to sit sideways towards other tanks as only showing them a bit of it works the same.
Self promotion below.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11142 on: August 17, 2014, 07:55:17 pm »

I'm not saying you should angle it like in WoT. i'm saying that if you have extra side armor you should "angle" it to expose some of your side armor.
People will generally try shooting the side as they percieve it as weaker... so you don't have to sit sideways towards other tanks as only showing them a bit of it works the same.

I know. Again:

Armor doesn't actually work like that, it doesn't care where the shell lands - top, side, rear, whatever. It just cares about their tanks' position to yours.

That's my point. If you angle to show some of your side armor, it'll just deal the damage to your front armor regardless of where the shell lands. If you want to put that reinforced side armor to use, you HAVE to go (at least sorta) broadside.

Baiting shots into your side armor by showing some of it does nothing whatsoever in this game. As long as they are in front of you, they will always deal damage to your front armor, even if the shot lands on your side.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11143 on: August 17, 2014, 08:10:16 pm »

Hmm... well i thought it was based on the point of impact of the shell... guess you learn something new every day.
Self promotion below.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11144 on: August 17, 2014, 08:34:58 pm »

I've been meaning to check how the armor works but just haven't bothered. I assume this means that if a sliver of their rear armor is showing but most of their side is then it deals side damage if you hit the rear. This just means that it is always a good idea to aim center mass at tanks, good to know.
Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 826