Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 658141 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Pokemon Go Release has Begun!
« Reply #4965 on: July 19, 2016, 12:26:06 am »

Well my interest in it is mostly due to the fact that there is nothing I can really do outside that I enjoy, yet I do know that going outside and even simply walking around the block would be incredibly good for my health.

I need some kind of motivation to actually get outside and from what I've seen of it, the combination of it being a pokemon game, a series I am already familiar with, and that only one or two pokes show up at a time nearby and that others show up a fair, but not unreasonable, distance away would provide that motivation.

Why sure, I can take a short walk down to the end of the street to catch that pokemon.  Oh hey another one not too far off.  I think I'll grab that one too.  Oh hey, there is a park over here?  I didn't know that, I think I'll go see what's around there.   And before you know it you've gotten more actual exercise than you've gotten in a decade.

Could I do all that on my own?  Sure.  But it's the obvious goal being placed tangibly in front of you that's the difference.

EDIT: The DS already tried to do this with play coins. 1 play coin every 100 steps.  just 1400 steps and I won't have to pay Charon macca next time I die stupidly in Shin Megami Tensei 4.  Or because unlike pokemon go it doesn't also track gps positioning I could just do my laundry put my ds in sleep mode and put it on top of the washing machine for a cycle.  The diffrence is pokemon go actually tracks your position as well as steps taken.  It's a big step up in the Nintendo trying to push staying healthy campaign.  Which is kinda funny because last I checked nintendo has next to nothing to do with pokemon go.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 12:35:54 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: July 19, 2016, 05:25:15 am »

... Why exactly is this so extremely popular, again?

I also don't get it, but I don't have a smartphone, so I haven't actually played the game.

Still, at no point in my life have I ever thought "gee, I wish my walk had more RNG and grind in it".

having played a little, I share the sentiment. the game isn't overly grindy, but if you aren't in the top 10 percentile you will be leveled out of the most important part of the pokemon go experience (gym battles, with their daily bonuses etc)

frankly this game pisses all over the franchise established mechanics, themes, motives and lore - so I see the lure of being 'the only one available' but geez the system is just broken inside.

and it's not even pay2win the problem, as currently no amount of money can substitute time spent
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 05:28:16 am by LoSboccacc »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: July 19, 2016, 07:23:06 am »

I've actually been hearing the opposite complaint: that the game is incredibly shallow and easy and that the skill and level cap are set very low so you max out within a month and after that there's no more to do. Gyms are supposedly easy even when stacked with many pokemon.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: July 19, 2016, 07:40:24 am »

I wonder if anyone has attached their iphone to a remote control drone and created the ultimate pokemon hunting machine.
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: July 19, 2016, 07:53:33 am »

I wonder if anyone has attached their iphone to a remote control drone and created the ultimate pokemon hunting machine.

the ultimate hunting machine is bluestack

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: July 19, 2016, 08:00:47 am »

Google says bluestacks is full of adware.

Edit: I thought I was posting, not editing. Oops. :V
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 09:38:02 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4971 on: July 19, 2016, 08:04:37 am »

Bluestacks is illegal as fuck, though. I belive the game automatically detects you're using fake GPS signal and bans you.
Also...
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: July 19, 2016, 09:32:07 am »

It's nostalgia.  I'm no genwunner but the first 150 are special.  I have this weird nostalgia for certain pokemon, Geodude, Parasect, Exeggcute, Rhyhorn, Mankey and Primeape.  They remind me of when I was a little kid.

I think red came out when I was in first or second grade, and in third grade pokemon was the shit and the teachers had to send out letters to hte parents telling them not to let us bring the cards and games to school.  Even if it's not the same, it's got a charm to it.

And yeah, it's not that hard to beat gyms but is that a problem?  Do you want to see all the gyms eight pokemon deep and unbeatable?
Shoes...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: July 19, 2016, 09:39:32 am »

I belive the game automatically detects you're using fake GPS signal and bans you.

It doesn't. Well, I don't know about bluestacks, but it doesn't with the Nox app player. And why would it be illegal?

(It's a boring "game" anyways.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4974 on: July 19, 2016, 09:50:35 am »

Uh... seriously?
It would be illegal because you're cheating the system, basically. You can teleport everywhere along the world, hatch Pokemon without ever taking a step, visit hundreds of Pokestops in matter of hours and so on. Also, I belive it is in terms of service that you can only use the provided software without any middle-stuff and other legal shit.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: July 19, 2016, 10:01:14 am »

Uh... seriously?
It would be illegal because you're cheating the system, basically. You can teleport everywhere along the world, hatch Pokemon without ever taking a step, visit hundreds of Pokestops in matter of hours and so on. Also, I belive it is in terms of service that you can only use the provided software without any middle-stuff and other legal shit.
I think Shadowlord interpreted "illegal" as "in violation of national law", rather than "in violation of the game's terms of service".

Which is how I read it, too; illegal is almost always used that way, after all.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: July 19, 2016, 10:10:09 am »

Yeah...  They banned a lot of people for GPS spoofing in Ingress, occasionally overzealously.  I'm sure they still have the same algorithms now, probably tweaked.  It's not *illegal* but a violation of the ToS, and one they really care about.  It's cheating of course.

Also
... Why exactly is this so extremely popular, again?

I also don't get it, but I don't have a smartphone, so I haven't actually played the game.

Still, at no point in my life have I ever thought "gee, I wish my walk had more RNG and grind in it".
Growing up spending hours riding my bicycle through samey NC farmland, usually without even music or a radio, I did often wish I could play a grindy JRPG or something to allay the tedium.

Walking can be kinda interesting depending on location, but I've walked from my house hundreds of times now.  It's booooring.  But there's a gym 15 minutes away that's often blue, so the game's basically offering me 10gold (and some egg progress) just for a half hour walk, once a day.  (And once I start walking, I usually keep going for a couple hours.  It was just getting hard to start)

I'm really susceptible to games like Swarm Simulator and Kittens Game, though, and grindy old JRPGs, so it feels nice to have those stupid impulses encourage a good activity (power walking, meeting people).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: July 19, 2016, 10:16:06 am »

Uh... seriously?
I think Shadowlord interpreted "illegal" as "in violation of national law", rather than "in violation of the game's terms of service".

Which is how I read it, too; illegal is almost always used that way, after all.

Ironically it's probably actually illegal in the US, pursuant to the CFAA. But you're probably just risking a ban. Plenty of people were banned from Ingress in the past for the same thing.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: July 19, 2016, 11:18:20 am »

New Sun and Moon trailer released, with new pokemon and information on the new ability to make user created tournaments in the new global link.

Quote from: Serebii
It has been confirmed that the next batch of Pokémon Sun & Moon information is to be released on the official sites tonight at 22:00 JST, which is 14:00 BST, 15:00 CEST, 09:00 EDT & 06:00 PDT. It's not currently known what information will be revealed at this time but be sure to keep checking back for news
Edit @ 14:02: Some new Pokémon have been revealed: Wimpod which is Bug/Water with the ability Wimp Out which when this Pokémon’s HP drops below half in battle, it will run away or swap out for another Pokémon., Bounsweet which is Grass with Leaf Guard & Oblivous, Comfey, Fairy-type with Flower Veil and Triage, which makes restorative moves gain the highest priority in battle., Mudsdale which is Ground with the abilities Own Tempo & Stamina which increases the Pokémon’s Defense goes up by 1 when it’s hit by an attack.. Mimikyu keeps its Japanese name and its ability Disguise which allows it to escape damage from an enemy’s attack just one time, and then its appearance changes. The bear Pokémon is called Bewear. Its ability Fluffy halves the damage taken from attacks that make direct contact, but in return it also doubles the damage taken from Fire-type moves.
You can also host your own competitions on the Pokémon Global Link
A new mode called Hyper Training is announced. With Hyper Training, Pokémon that have grown to Lv. 100 will be able to increase their individual strengths (IVs), which has never been possible before. It utilises Bottle Caps as an item in order to boost the stats. Magearna will be given one when distributed
Edit @ 14:23: Updated our Pokémon Listing
Edit @ 14:35: Updated our New Attacks page, Abilities Page & Pre-Release Screenshot Page
Edit @ 15:00: Created a page for Hyper Training
Edit @ 15:12: The customisable rules in Pokémon Global Link hosted tournaments are as follows
Name - The Name of the competition Description - The Description of the competition
Ruleset - Currently only Singles & Doubles are listed
Pokédex - Currently can select Alola Pokédex or National Pokédex
Restrictions - Can choose whether to be Pokémon Sun/Moon only or to include Pokémon transfered via Pokémon Bank
Duration - The length of the competition
Timer - The duration of battles | 10 minutes or 30 minutes.
Battles Per Day - The number of battles allowed per day
Competition Type - Public or Private
Participating Trainers - Everyone or Specified Trainers, with a selection allowing you to specify trainers
Edit @ 15:21: Created a page for the Pokémon Global Link
Edit @ 15:39: The Japanese site elaborates and states that Magearna is holding a Silver Bottle Cap
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:25:29 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: July 19, 2016, 11:28:36 am »

I wasn't planning on buying Sun or Moon, but I'm liking these new designs (excluding the bear, which is horrifyingly ugly).
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 463