Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490690 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE and the Higgs!
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2012, 10:04:14 pm »

There is no evidence of black holes being infinitely small (in fact, they actually grow as they absorb more stuff).
Just a note on this:

The event horizon grows. The distance between the center and the "point of no return, even for light" is what gets bigger. No one knows what it "looks like" inside a black hole, but whether it's a point of singularity or a REALLY compressed (but not infinitely small) hunk of matter wouldn't result in any difference in behavior.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2012, 10:04:26 pm »

So, if there is a Higgs-Boson field spread out through the entire universe, are they spread evenly, or at random, or some other third option that I didn't think of?
There the higgs boson, and then there the higgs field, where the higgs boson propagates and interacts. Its uniform, and everywhere.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2012, 10:06:15 pm »

So, it's the aether.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2012, 10:08:07 pm »

The event horizon grows. The distance between the center and the "point of no return, even for light" is what gets bigger. No one knows what it "looks like" inside a black hole, but whether it's a point of singularity or a REALLY compressed (but not infinitely small) hunk of matter wouldn't result in any difference in behavior.
I doubt it would look like anything. It is a gravitational singularity. A place where space-time has ceased to exist.
So, it's the aether.
Looks like the Greeks were onto something after all.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2012, 10:14:42 pm »

Hey guys, discussion about faster than light travel is over. Someone's set up an orange portal on Earth and a blue portal on the Sun.

Kidding, of course, but that's another incredibly cool science discovery. Higgs Boson AND real portals around Earth? Science is awesome!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2012, 10:15:47 pm »

So, it's the aether.
Ehh... I suppose.

So, it's the aether.

In as much as, Phrenology was on to something.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2012, 10:20:57 pm »

So, it's the aether.

In as much as, Phrenology was on to something.
Shut up and let me have my pseudoscience. Also, buy my new book, The Dreamings of Self-Actualization now available through Amazon.com for the low price of 59.99$ and learn the secrets that Big Pharma doesn't want you to know.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2012, 11:19:06 pm »

So, if there is a Higgs-Boson field spread out through the entire universe, are they spread evenly, or at random, or some other third option that I didn't think of?
There the higgs boson, and then there the higgs field, where the higgs boson propagates and interacts. Its uniform, and everywhere.
Sooo...is there any hypothetical way to interact with the Higgs field?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2012, 11:23:06 pm »

Given that we can observe it, maybe there's some sort of quantum thingamawhatsit that'll change stuff?  </uninformed>

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2012, 11:28:07 pm »

Only experimentation will tell from here I think.
Raising fist and yelling HIGGGGGSSSSSS!!!! doesn't work. 
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2012, 11:30:23 pm »

Given that we can observe it, maybe there's some sort of quantum thingamawhatsit that'll change stuff?  </uninformed>

Well, we interact with it continuously, it what gives us our mass. Now, if you meant novel means to manipulate the higgs field. Uhh, current understanding says no. I dont particularly buy this. Each further understanding of underlying physics have open us a host of novel applications, through clever engineering. I couldnt tell you, what these application will be. Maybe having a finer understanding of mass and energy will be the lynch pin to make a net positive fusion reactor.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:31:59 pm by MrWiggles »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2012, 11:34:37 pm »

I am disappointed by the lack of Bill Nye in this thread.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2012, 11:37:17 pm »

Well, we interact with it continuously, it what gives us our mass. Now, if you meant novel means to manipulate the higgs field. Uhh, current understanding says no. I dont particularly buy this. Each further understanding of underlying physics have open us a host of novel applications, through clever engineering. I couldnt tell you, what these application will be. Maybe having a finer understanding of mass and energy will be the lynch pin to make a net positive fusion reactor.
Well, I'm thinking that we should next figure out if the Higgs field can be manipulated via gravity or somesuch. If we can do that, we should observe whether or not the Higgs field wants to remain uniform. If that's the case...we can build giant gravitic slingshots ala the Mass Effect.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2012, 11:40:03 pm »

Fun stuffs about event horizon "crossing" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_horizon#Interacting_with_an_event_horizon

Finding the Higgs itself won't lead to technological breakthroughs. What will lead to those are the discoveries resulting from finding how it changes the Standard Model and our overall understanding of the way the universe works. After all, you must remember a huge majority of the mass in the universe is currently unaccounted for in theories. Dark matter will probably be some rather mundane substance with weak interaction, but the dark energy causing the acceleration in the universe's expansion has the potential to be something really REALLY interesting. Seeing as the Higgs is responsible for mass, it has a good chance of clarifying matters regarding one or both of those. It's sort of a wedge to poke at the theory and find cracks leading to entirely new discoveries which for all we know will make quantum mechanics look mundane.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2012, 12:03:17 am »

I like that. I want humanity to realize collectively how pants-shittingly, intensely disturbing the vast intricacy of the universe is.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 339