Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490968 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE and the Higgs!
« Reply #225 on: September 19, 2012, 06:07:34 am »

At this point, there's really no reason to believe that there will be a lot of life out in the universe that isn't carbon based. Carbon just bonds with everything so much more easily than anything else we know of thus far. According to Neil deGrasse Tyson, "Carbon is the slut of the periodic table."
In 'our kind of Goldilocks Zone', with 'our kind of base chemical mix'.  I reckon the first life we actually meet (maybe not detect[1]), and maybe even have inadvertently met[2], will occupy a currently unknown other stable point in the "equation of life"'s multidimensional surface.

It's not totally out there to suggest that Silicon (under pressures and at temperatures applicable to it behaving as such) might produce an substitute 'organic' chemistry to roughly parallel our Carbon-based system, although I'm not sure what the Universal Solvent of that environment will be, because it won't be water.  Actually, I'm betting that what we'll eventually find will be much more different.  It'll all depend under what circumstances the applicable abiogenesis occurs, but any 'successful' happenstance of that kind will be continue to be self-organising.  (Because any that isn't, I have already discounted as "not successful".  Really, I can afford to 'cheat' with that logic loop, because potential abiogenetic experiments are spontaneously going on all over the place[3].)  Oh, if there's already a (different) viable form of 'life' in the immediate vicinity, the fledgling 'new paradigm' might get swamped, and there's always natural disasters of whatever kind, especially a threat for particularly lethargic self-organisers.

But I wouldn't be surprised to find out that our nearest living neighbours would find our chemistry extraordinary.  They'd never have thought that on a planet as cool and H2O-sodden as ours that any self-organising molecule could ever arise!  It was only the strange seasonal variations in green land-cover which led them to believe that the native global organism was chlorophyll-based[4], and eventually they landed their probes and after a few.... misuinderstandings... realised that the intellectually dominant life-form on the planet was actually dolphins/octopuses/veliceraptors[5]/whatever...  But they could at least deal with these strange Human things, too...

But what was the point again?  Oh yeah, I was just trying to discourage too much of an anthropocentric POV.

[1] Because we'd be biased towards looking for planets of roughly Earth Mass orbiting at roughly 1AU around stars roughly like Sol, etc...

[2] Probably no-one knew, if we're significantly different.  Possibly the same holds true on the other side of the meeting.

[3] If you want me to limit "all over the place", I'd suggest wherever there's an 'edge' between two distinct mediums, for reasons I won't go into right now.

[4] An exotic complex of that their native scientific community had occasionally developed in their low-pressure chemistry rigs, but which their engineering community was looking to replicate the functionality of in more 'room temperature'-friendly compounds in order to better power their Smartphones....  (That description to be read in terms of an Alien 'standard' of temperature, pressure, etc.)

[5] They featured in the first survey, but by the time they got together a 'manned'/Aliened expedition, they'd died out and been replaced.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 19, 2012, 11:17:10 am »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #227 on: September 19, 2012, 11:45:01 am »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 19, 2012, 11:46:54 am »

Anything called a "buckyball" has to be awesome.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 19, 2012, 09:15:49 pm »

"buckyball" is short for "buckminsterfullerene ball".

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 20, 2012, 12:03:58 am »

Quick, steal the stuff needed to make it and create ourselves armor!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 20, 2012, 12:24:57 am »

Vacuum chamber, carbon of any form, energy (trivial amounts, really), a solvent to allow you to separate buckyballs from other polycarbon molecules and... a way of holding together a load of the resulting diamond(plus)-hard balls in an object big enough to be counted as armour.

The latter will be the hardest.  The surface of the buckyballs is almost exactly like a bit of graphite sheet.  Unlike graphite, one ball can only touch another ball at a very small area (the area of a C5 or C6 ring, at most), and any bonding you force to be made branching off that surface is only really going to be as strong as that bond would normally be off of graphite.  The surface is strong, the adhesion with anything else is pretty ordinary (or worse).

Stop the 2D curvature of the balls and make it a 1D curvature of a tube, and you've got carbon nanotubes.  Strong along their length, like the ball is in a ball-like way.  (Not quite sure about deformations in and out of the radius, along the line of the tube's axis.)  A nanotube may well hold its two ends together better than anything 'normal', and certainly a strand of a standard saturated carbon-chain (with a single link between single carbons along its length, and not the same free-electron cloud 'field' supporting/aiding the bonds).

Engineer a sufficient 'weave' of tubes, and you'll probably have something that's pretty resistant to macro-sized impacts, but if all you can get as tubes is micrometre-length pieces, then you've got a problem.  Even using them like threads in a yarn, the interaction between tubes is 'graphitic' in nature (along adjacent edges of the tubes), and again you're reliant upon side-bonds being made.  And other problems.

With 'Diamond Age' technology (referencing Neal Stephenson's book, there), I suppose you could weave subsequent armour-shaped layers of graphene over each other, with discontinuities and sheet bends/corners created to mould around the non-flat bits of the shape you're tyying to form, each subsequent layer having a lateral 'slippage' possibility (mitigated by the shape, as overlaid/underlaid with the neighbouring sheets), but very strong against all other distortions (at least sacrificially, the outer layers breaking up from any initial impact).

A 'sheet' or 'mass' of somehow-bonded Buckyballs wouldn't seem to me to be particularly useful.  The best you could hope for would be to effectively create a diamond-like intersticial structure, and then I'm wondering how that'd be much different from 'solid diamond' armour.  (And I'm thinking that would be susceptible to catastrophic fracturing, from any impact that doesn't get shrugged off.)

But that's just my immediate thoughts, without looking up any actual facts to support what I say. ;)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 20, 2012, 12:42:49 am »

*Wall of text*

But that's just my immediate thoughts.
I like you.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #233 on: September 25, 2012, 06:41:03 am »

Because there is far more SCIENCING to do than just the Higg's, this thread is now a general science thread!

Read a cool article about some revolutionarry new tech? Post it here! Someone's done a study on the viscosity of waffles? I'd love to hear it! Someone hooked the skin of squid up to "Insane in the membrane"? Well, I just posted it here, but you can still talk about it!

Also, here have something us guys have known forever; even thinking about talking to a girl makes us stupider!
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 25, 2012, 06:52:21 am »

Someone's done a study on the viscosity of waffles? I'd love to hear it!
I think somebody actually got an IG-nobel prize for developing a formula for determining the maximum length of time that you can dunk a cookie in a drink for.

Link.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:55:05 am by Darvi »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 25, 2012, 07:24:39 am »

I think somebody actually got an IG-nobel prize for developing a formula for determining the maximum length of time that you can dunk a cookie in a drink for.

Link.

Hah, that's brilliant :p

Paid for by McVites though... hmmmm part of the biscuit conspiracy perhaps?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:03:31 pm by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 25, 2012, 04:46:57 pm »

Personally I have considered diamonds disappointing since I found out that being the hardest natural material doesn't mean that they have high toughness, which is the property you want in armor and such.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 25, 2012, 05:28:59 pm »

Sometimes you don't even need toughness! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiq2Hxl5zx4

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 25, 2012, 05:43:10 pm »

Absolutely no-one calls them "buckminsterfullerene balls" though. Hell, you got to be lucky for people to not just call them C60 or C70, depending on the type of buckyball they're referring to.

Now we have diamonds that are harder than diamonds.
fun fact: we found things that were harder than diamond a few years back.

carbon nanotubes.
CNTs are anisotropic though, and only stronger than diamond on the scale of individual strands, so they don't really count.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 05:51:26 pm by Virex »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 26, 2012, 07:45:06 pm »

Absolutely no-one calls them "buckminsterfullerene balls" though. Hell, you got to be lucky for people to not just call them C60 or C70, depending on the type of buckyball they're referring to.

Now we have diamonds that are harder than diamonds.
fun fact: we found things that were harder than diamond a few years back.

carbon nanotubes.
CNTs are anisotropic though, and only stronger than diamond on the scale of individual strands, so they don't really count.
welp, never knew that.

still, it could make good lightweight bulletproof armour. when woven, the carbon nanotubes act as a fabric, so you could easily line clothes with it. a bullet hits you? broken bones, internal haemorrhaging... not nearly as bad as the bullet actually penetrating your body and doing even more damage.

still, pretty damn expensive right now. in the future, maybe it'll become cheaper...
Apparently, the problem with all that is getting the nanotubes to any length with consistency.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 339