Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490853 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #495 on: June 24, 2013, 01:56:49 pm »

That's all fantastic, but can we play Dwarf Fortress on them?
More importantly, can they be recreated within DF?
Can you use a Quantum printer to print Quantum computers that play DF?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 24, 2013, 04:15:42 pm »

That's all fantastic, but can we play Dwarf Fortress on them?
More importantly, can they be recreated within DF?
Can you use a Quantum printer to print Quantum computers that play DF?
Quantum printers!? I have to call my boss.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 25, 2013, 11:43:54 am »

Here is an amazing high resolution view of the Rocknest site by Curiosity's cameras.

http://mars.nasa.gov/multimedia/interactives/billionpixel/index.cfm?image=PIA16919&view=cyl

When seen like this, mars colonization do not seem like an impossible dream anymore, it's just a matter of time.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 28, 2013, 05:45:25 am »

And a matter of "what's the point?".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 28, 2013, 06:27:40 am »

Point? Sooner we can start loosening our dependency on a single planet, the better off we are, flat out. Gives us some more room to slow down the fuckery we pull on the one we've got, as well as a potential out (or at least partial safety net/assistance possibility) in case of large scale disaster. From a survival point of view, the more baskets we can put our eggs in, the better.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 28, 2013, 06:57:10 am »

A multi billion basket, which hangs by a thread from the original one.

I'm all for space exploration, but there's a time and a place for everything.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 28, 2013, 08:21:34 am »

...So when is that time and place? I'm with Frumple, the sooner we start laying roots on other balls of rock (or start floating in gas clouds, I'm not picky), the better. As messed up as humanity can be sometimes, I'm quite fond of it and would rather not see the whole lot of us wiped out by a single Texas-sized rock from space.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 28, 2013, 09:00:50 am »

I think the point made was that with our current technology, a mars colony would not save the human race if the earth was wiped clean. All  it would mean is that the last humans would die of starvation or asphyxiation instead of meteorite.

That quite frankly, it doesn't actually help at all with your goal saving the human race from disaster, and in fact it would cost so much money that could conceivably be spent elsewhere it could actually hurt your goal.

If you have a actual goal. IE: "Preserve the human race!" you can't just take a action that sounds cool and say "COOL DO IT BECAUSE THIS GOAL!" you have to actually think and see if it will help you reach your goal.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 28, 2013, 09:19:04 am »

1. Send explorer robots until we know pretty much about Mars geology.
2. Send robots that will bootstrap basic industry from mostly local resources until they are able to make more of themselves on-site with at most only very lightweight components imported from the Earth.
3. Construct radiation-shielded habitats and greenhouses with those robots.
4. Only at this point manned flight to Mars would make practical sense.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 28, 2013, 09:31:54 am »

...So when is that time and place? I'm with Frumple, the sooner we start laying roots on other balls of rock (or start floating in gas clouds, I'm not picky), the better. As messed up as humanity can be sometimes, I'm quite fond of it and would rather not see the whole lot of us wiped out by a single Texas-sized rock from space.
When we're willing to invest money in space to be able to actually finish this decently.

The current Mars projects are almost certainly going to result in disaster, probably involving the death of quite a few people.

1. Send explorer robots until we know pretty much about Mars geology.
2. Send robots that will bootstrap basic industry from mostly local resources until they are able to make more of themselves on-site with at most only very lightweight components imported from the Earth.
3. Construct radiation-shielded habitats and greenhouses with those robots.
4. Only at this point manned flight to Mars would make practical sense.
1. Check
2. Mostly impossible
3. Trivial

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 28, 2013, 10:06:36 am »

Ebbor, the current professional Mars projects are planned for around 20 years from now. They're not even out of the planning stage.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 28, 2013, 10:11:31 am »

2. Electrochemically smelting plain carbon steel from what can be readily found on the surface is easy with the right equipment. Copper minerals in sufficient concentrations need finding but probably exist. Al and Si containing stuff is known and so low-quality photovoltaic panels can be produced from mostly Martian resources.

Advanced electronics is not something that could be produced without really huge and diverse supporting industry. Thankfully microchips are really light-weight.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 28, 2013, 12:59:26 pm »

Ebbor, the current professional Mars projects are planned for around 20 years from now. They're not even out of the planning stage.
20 years really isn't a long time in space development. Especially not with the 2 year flight time. The Chinese, which is the only space agency I actually see reaching Mars, isn't planning a permanent colony before 2060.

Also, Mars One is aiming for 2016 for the first, automated, mission. Won't call them professional though. There is a more realistic mission aiming for a touch and go in 2018.

2. Electrochemically smelting plain carbon steel from what can be readily found on the surface is easy with the right equipment. Copper minerals in sufficient concentrations need finding but probably exist. Al and Si containing stuff is known and so low-quality photovoltaic panels can be produced from mostly Martian resources.

Advanced electronics is not something that could be produced without really huge and diverse supporting industry. Thankfully microchips are really light-weight.
Martian solar dust storm. For several months, solar power drops to 1% or less of normal levels. All your equipment freezes to death. It's strange that many missions just ignore it. I mean, it doesn't happen often but it's very dangerous.

Also, martian dust is really annoying. It creeps into every creak, and setting up an isolated environement on another planet is hard.

Spoiler: About Martian Dust (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 01:16:26 pm by 10ebbor10 »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 28, 2013, 02:04:45 pm »

20 years really isn't a long time in space development. Especially not with the 2 year flight time. The Chinese, which is the only space agency I actually see reaching Mars, isn't planning a permanent colony before 2060.
20 years is plenty long. NASA went from having not much more than a plan and several test rocket failures to walking on the moon in only 10 years.

And the Chinese as the only ones to reach Mars? Are you kidding me? Not NASA, not ESA, not RFSA, but CNSA? Amongst the major national space programs, I'd put China in last place. They may have done an independent manned launch, but that doesn't mean they're better. Space needs to be a cooperative venture, and CNSA is not very cooperative compared to the others. Not to mention their total mission count is fairly low.

NASA has suffered severe funding cuts, but they're not out of the game by any means. Soon, when people start talking about walking on Mars in more than theoretical terms, they will have public support that will make the Apollo program look meager in comparison and cause politicians across the entire political spectrum to drool with envy at whomever holds the White House when it happens. At worst, NASA is going to get second place for walking on Mars.

Speculating on permanent colonies is probably a bit too far in the future for accurate predictions.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 02:08:48 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 28, 2013, 04:00:36 pm »

My bet is on a NASA/ESA cooperative mission within 40 years. If the world as we know it hasn't collapsed by then.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 339