Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490859 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #870 on: October 11, 2013, 09:07:42 pm »

Also, every piece of music I've listened to outside of a car radio. Between Pandora and Youtube recommender systems, I don't really search for music any more.

On an unrelated note: http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/11/health/miracle-marathoner-carlos/index.html?hpt=us_t2
Man lives for a month without breathing, recovers. Who needs lungs anyway. We have magic sufficiently advanced technology.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 12:36:18 am by alway »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: October 12, 2013, 01:43:03 am »

With 3D printers, we're getting closer. Once people start to 3D-print protein paste into artificially flavored foods, and realize how much having access to that kind of tech has the potential to change the world, we'll see a drive toward more and more refined printers that can handle a wider variety of matter.

Eventually, we'll get a molecular printer that can use heat/pressure/electricity to bond raw elements into complex compounds. Of course, we'll still have to buy raw elements... but once fusion is working smoothly, and we can synthesize heavier elements like carbon and nitrogen from lighter ones on an industrial scale, I could see something akin to replicators on the distant horizon.
That is actually possible already. It makes small cookies. Major corporations have decided not to develop the technology, as there's currently a "back to the old times" trend going on in cooking.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: October 12, 2013, 01:45:28 am »

With 3D printers, we're getting closer. Once people start to 3D-print protein paste into artificially flavored foods, and realize how much having access to that kind of tech has the potential to change the world, we'll see a drive toward more and more refined printers that can handle a wider variety of matter.

Eventually, we'll get a molecular printer that can use heat/pressure/electricity to bond raw elements into complex compounds. Of course, we'll still have to buy raw elements... but once fusion is working smoothly, and we can synthesize heavier elements like carbon and nitrogen from lighter ones on an industrial scale, I could see something akin to replicators on the distant horizon.
That is actually possible already. It makes small cookies. Major corporations have decided not to develop the technology, as there's currently a "back to the old times" trend going on in cooking.

Free-range farm cookies popular among today's hip youth, experts say.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: October 12, 2013, 09:14:21 am »

Free-range farm cookies popular among today's hip youth, experts say.
I suppose that joke was inevitable.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: October 12, 2013, 10:14:02 am »

outside of a car radio
I have a USB port and an auxiliary jack on my car stereo. I never listen to the radio in the car, either.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: October 13, 2013, 03:56:24 am »

How Target and similar companies know you're pregnant before anyone else. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/magazine/shopping-habits.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0

Not only that, but also how they know EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU after you shop there once...
This goes into the terrified thread.

As long as you (can) pay cash, no one tracks you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: October 15, 2013, 01:23:39 pm »

That was kind off expected, with the financial crisis and all that.

Interesting page to watch.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: October 15, 2013, 01:37:24 pm »

I've always had high hopes for Iter. It's the kind of project we need more of (not necessarily fusion, but large-scale research).

Besides, I like the symbolism in its name.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: October 15, 2013, 01:54:22 pm »

Well, we have some more of these projects. They're called the flagship projects. And are all similary large scale. Link

At this point both the Graphene and Human Brain projects are working. Others might be under consideration.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 02:49:52 pm by 10ebbor10 »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: October 15, 2013, 02:27:49 pm »

Your link is wrong.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: October 15, 2013, 02:49:59 pm »

Fixed

Both projects have a 1 billion euro budget.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 02:53:07 pm by 10ebbor10 »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: October 15, 2013, 03:13:39 pm »

I don't think it's that bad, the news, I mean. While they're trimming edges, the project goes forward, which is all fine and good.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: October 15, 2013, 03:18:35 pm »

Technically they're not even trimming. They're just reorganizing the shedual, postponing non essential scientific tests.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: October 15, 2013, 03:26:20 pm »

I was genuinelly cheered by the news article. In the middle of a major crisis, they're still up-to-scheudle with putting together what insofar as I know will be the first fusion reactor ever with a bigger energy output than input.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 339