Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 489812 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #915 on: October 26, 2013, 01:35:21 am »

A problem with cannibalism is however that it carries an increased risk of prion diseases.
Only if you eat brains. Prions have large difficulty spreading outside the brain/spine.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: October 26, 2013, 01:41:20 am »

Still, there're other diseases too. Additionally any hormones used in production would effect humans too, and must be eliminated.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: October 26, 2013, 05:39:35 am »

......we just put on yet ANOTHER watch list, didn't we?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: October 26, 2013, 05:43:35 am »

Gotta watch 'em all?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: October 26, 2013, 08:54:41 am »

Honestly, at this point its probably safe to assume that we're on every watchlist known to man, and probably a few that are not even on Earth.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: October 26, 2013, 12:38:12 pm »

Researchers at Vanderbilt University develop previously-thought-nearly-impossible supercapacitors using graphene-coated silicon. These supercapacitors have excellent energy density and are likely to be very economically viable, especially since they could be built onto silicon chips using just the excess silicon found on modern chips.
From this link: energy density - 15 kJ/kg. For comparison -  rechargeable LiIon batteries - 700 kJ/kg. This thing can charge or give away energy very fast but will not substitute most batteries. People frequently get wrong, too optimistic ideas about application area of supercapacitors. (I am not saying that you did but in this thread somebody always did after supercapacitor news.)

In regard to in-vitro human meat - no matter how safe and nourishing it can be made - I would not eat it without VERY strong additional reasons to.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: October 26, 2013, 12:42:20 pm »

I wouldn't eat it on a day-to-day basis. I'm just curious on what human tastes like.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: October 26, 2013, 12:54:55 pm »

Eh, it varies from person to person.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #924 on: October 26, 2013, 01:13:00 pm »

From this link: energy density - 15 kJ/kg. For comparison -  rechargeable LiIon batteries - 700 kJ/kg. This thing can charge or give away energy very fast but will not substitute most batteries. People frequently get wrong, too optimistic ideas about application area of supercapacitors. (I am not saying that you did but in this thread somebody always did after supercapacitor news.)

In any case, I appreciate the extra clarification.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: October 26, 2013, 04:37:19 pm »

High-power tasers anyone?

Maybe they could be used to transmit energy wirelessly, more effectively? I know it's been done over a not-too-small distance of either inches, 2 feet, or a meter. I can't find the article. But it's been done and this could maybe make it better.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: October 26, 2013, 06:52:13 pm »

I wouldn't eat it on a day-to-day basis. I'm just curious on what human tastes like.
It tastes like shit. Most creatures have it to discourage eating their own.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: October 26, 2013, 07:33:22 pm »

It tastes like shit. Most creatures have it to discourage eating their own.
No it doesn't, and that is blatantly false.

By most accounts I've heard, it tastes pretty good. There was an interesting interview with someone who had done extensive research on the subject, including interviews with some modern tribes who still occasionally practice it. For the most part, it isn't practiced for cultural reasons or because they didn't have enough food; it was because they really liked the taste of the meat.

Beyond that, your statement is quite obviously false. For one, it's entirely at odds with evolution; the species distinction is entirely invented, and so no way of determining what is your species could possibly exist which didn't blur over into a few million years of evolutionary cousins. Secondly, producing such a species tagging mechanism would require an increase in energy needs, cancelling out any tiny benefit it could give in terms of cannibalism; and so even if such a thing did somehow magic into the population, it would disappear in fairly short order.

tldr; version: it all tastes like chicken. Meat is meat is meat. And while there is some variation based on conditions of the muscle tissue, meat will pretty much always taste like meat. Because from an evolutionary standpoint, you generally don't evolve your muscles to optimize taste; you evolve them to optimize their function as muscles.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: October 26, 2013, 08:06:38 pm »

I'm fairly sure human meat would taste bad purely by virtue of bio-accumulation of all the random chemicals we put in our bodies on a daily basis. Synthetic foods, pesticides and herbicides, drugs and supplements - hells, even tap water can be heavily chem'd. We might still be edible, but the taste would very likely be inferior to other meats. (Of course, bio-accumulation takes time, so if you're going the Jonathan Swift route you're fine.)

That said, if we had the option of lab-grown human meat, I'd be right there with a copy of Short Steve's Long Pork Cookbook.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: October 26, 2013, 08:24:59 pm »

You seem to be under the impression that livestock aren't fed foods with similar levels of "contaminants". Trust me, if anything, they're going to be worse off in this regard, quite possibly even if you're buying organic meat. Bioaccumulation doesn't affect taste in any but the weirdest situations, either. You can't taste the mercury in a fish, for instance. Also, most drugs and supplements are going to be degraded and/or excreted pretty quickly. That's a very common thing that's figured out during clinical trials, since it's vital for proper dosing.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 339