Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490931 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1215 on: March 04, 2014, 12:14:45 am »

Well, yeah. We have a lot of desert on our planet.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: March 04, 2014, 12:20:28 am »

The main problem is the ice, I think.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: March 04, 2014, 12:28:14 am »

It's about liquid water and sunlight. Our planet has a lot of ice, and several areas with relatively little water. Additionally, our oceans are quite deep, so the sea floor tends to get little sunlight even a short way off the coast. High temperatures draw up more water, and therefor, more nutrients from the soil. Places with high temperatures, lots of sunlight, and plenty of water have the densest vegetation. Add all 3 together and you get rainforests, the most miserable places on earth.

Why am I babbling on about this?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: March 04, 2014, 01:08:26 am »

I was trying to think of things that a exo-planet has that would affect vegetation-ability that we would be able to know about.

I.E. size of planet(maybe), and distance from the sun.

Though I don't know if we're too close to the sun, thereby heating up the equator and giving us deserts, or too far from the sun, thereby freezing water and locking it up to prevent in-land regions from getting to it.

I'm thinking it's the latter, based solely on the fact that in this context, we have no real way of knowing how much water is on those other planets. At best, we can tell how much water is in the atmosphere, and I think that's only a recent thing we can do. So without knowing how much water is in it's hydrosphere, the "higher vegetability" would be a planet that has no chance of having frozen water.

Is my thinking, at least~

*Note: Since we don't know the land-areas and water-content of most of these planets, it's totally possible for a planet to have a thin film of water on a barely-bumpy planet, or have a pangaea-like continent. One would make it so EVERY place on that planet is within a few hundred miles of water, so very few deserts, and the other would almost certainly create a massive in-land desert. These two scenarios would skew a planet that would otherwise be poor/rich in vegetation to the opposite end, simply because of geography that we can't actually see from earth.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: March 04, 2014, 02:14:40 am »

Though I don't know if we're too close to the sun, thereby heating up the equator and giving us deserts, or too far from the sun, thereby freezing water and locking it up to prevent in-land regions from getting to it.
According to this(companion calculator here), we are actually too close to the Sun. There's some atmospheric effects that keep us habitable, but we're definitely on the hot end.
This is in terms of insolation only, mind you, as the planet could have the same average temp and be much farther, as long as there were strong greenhouse effects.

*Note: Since we don't know the land-areas and water-content of most of these planets
You misspelled "none".

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: March 04, 2014, 02:37:08 am »

Add all 3 together and you get rainforests, the most miserable places on earth.

Why am I babbling on about this?

Have you actually been in a tropical rainforest? I have, and in summer, they're much cooler than the open areas.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: March 04, 2014, 04:30:41 am »

According to this(companion calculator here), we are actually too close to the Sun. There's some atmospheric effects that keep us habitable, but we're definitely on the hot end.
This is in terms of insolation only, mind you, as the planet could have the same average temp and be much farther, as long as there were strong greenhouse effects.
Aren't we too far?
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: March 04, 2014, 04:38:11 am »

Aren't we too far?
No. As discussed in the paper, we're on the inner edge of the Goldilocks zone.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:20:26 am by Il Palazzo »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: March 09, 2014, 02:39:35 am »

I've posted this just about everywhere else, but I may as well post it here too:
The new Cosmos series with Neil deGrasse Tyson starts within the next day. So be sure to watch it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: March 09, 2014, 04:45:49 am »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: March 09, 2014, 10:26:05 am »

As long as they're made of ice and are filled with bi-curious cons, I'd be okay with that.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: March 09, 2014, 03:27:01 pm »

As long as they're made of ice and are filled with bi-curious cons, I'd be okay with that.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: March 09, 2014, 07:40:23 pm »

WTF? Did I miss something?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: March 09, 2014, 07:41:17 pm »

Most likely referencing the A Song of of Ice and Fire books.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: March 10, 2014, 02:51:49 am »

I think Dutchling only ever read ASOIAF fanfiction.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 339