Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 489815 times)

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1395 on: May 08, 2014, 07:46:39 pm »

So... Klotho.

http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21601809-potent-source-genetic-variation-cognitive-ability-has-just-been

http://www.cell.com/cell-reports/abstract/S2211-1247%2814%2900287-3

Quote from: Original Summary
Life Extension Factor Klotho Enhances Cognition

Who wants to have a Klotho doping party?
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: May 09, 2014, 04:03:02 am »

Genes of intelligence? Time to construct me some ubermenches.
._.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1397 on: May 09, 2014, 04:06:22 am »

Fresh air and sunlight converted to kerosene.

Apologies if it's already been posted. If that source isn't reliable, there are others- that's just the one that showed up first when I searched, having seen it somewhere and forgotten.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: May 09, 2014, 04:18:45 am »

IIRC the big problem with that process was that the level of CO2 purity required was high enough that the only current way to make it economical was to use pure CO2 piped in from other sources, not stuff that was actually taken from the air itself.

Or at least that was the problem with the (I think it was British) company that was looking into this process a year or two back.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: May 09, 2014, 04:22:39 am »

Still pretty cool depending on the efficiency of the system. Plug it into a power station, and you effectively get twice the energy per unit of carbon pumped into the atmosphere.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1400 on: May 09, 2014, 05:41:41 am »

As far as I know, they're working on increasing the efficiency of this to 15% as a long-term goal. The awesome thing about it is that there are almost no running expenses; you put capital in and get money out, with only the price of maintenance. As far as I understand it.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: May 09, 2014, 07:16:32 am »

I'm really REALLY hoping we get a drop-in solution like that, making fuel from water and atmospheric/loose CO2 using renewable energy. We can fuel our infrastructure, make it green again, without needed to overhaul the entire system like with electric cars. Plus, run oil plants on converted fuel for a baseline, when the winds aren't roaring and the sun isn't shining~ :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: May 09, 2014, 07:57:43 am »

I'm a great fan of methanol fuel for precisely those reasons: Easy to manufacture from captured CO2, liquid for easy transportation and refuelling, and with roughly similar characteristics to existing fuels, allowing current engines to switch fuels without too big a hassle.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: May 09, 2014, 08:19:47 am »

It can work as a replacement for fossil fuels, but not as an energy carrier to make up for renewables unreliableness. I mean, a fossil fuel plant only has a 40% efficiency , and the syn fuel process is even worse.

Besides, we can't even produce enough renewable power for our electricity needs. Replacing fossil fuels for transportation might be premature.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: May 09, 2014, 08:51:53 am »

I'm a great fan of methanol fuel for precisely those reasons: Easy to manufacture from captured CO2, liquid for easy transportation and refuelling, and with roughly similar characteristics to existing fuels, allowing current engines to switch fuels without too big a hassle.

And unlike ethanol, there is very little risk in people trying to drink it. At least in the long term. (I've actually been very amused by learning that methanol is called 'screensaver' in some circles, for obvious reasons).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: May 09, 2014, 08:58:50 am »

(I've actually been very amused by learning that methanol is called 'screensaver' in some circles, for obvious reasons).
"Let's hurry up drinking, it's getting dark."

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: May 09, 2014, 09:16:59 am »

It can work as a replacement for fossil fuels, but not as an energy carrier to make up for renewables unreliableness. I mean, a fossil fuel plant only has a 40% efficiency , and the syn fuel process is even worse.
Just an example of a drop-in replacement, my dear.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: May 09, 2014, 01:46:44 pm »

Still pretty cool depending on the efficiency of the system. Plug it into a power station, and you effectively get twice the energy per unit of carbon pumped into the atmosphere.
This would effectively be the best way to do it. Elsewise you run into needing
captured CO2
Which, to quote Wikipedia:
Extraction (recovery) from air is possible, but not very practical.

In a sense we've already got most of the technology we need to turn CO2 into fuel as a drop solution; but we are missing most of the technology we need to actually pull said CO2 out of the air.

That said I'd be fully up for something like this; if we could get it working on a large scale inefficiencies it could very easily solve/revert a large chunk of climate change without us needing to actually change anything else.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: May 09, 2014, 01:49:23 pm »

Anyway, just as a note you don't get twice the energy per unit of carbon pumped into the athmosphere.

All synthetic fuels are energy carriers, not energy producers. Basically, the cycle is this.

Fossil Fuel --> Power plant = Energy + Co²
Co² + Energy --> Conversion plant = Fuel 

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: May 09, 2014, 01:51:00 pm »

Anyway, just as a note you don't get twice the energy per unit of carbon pumped into the athmosphere.
Point, though it would allow for much higher solar energy utilization because we would have a more easily stored and widespread form of solar energy than through electricity/water.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 339