Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 489833 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1680 on: July 13, 2014, 06:29:18 am »

Spoiler: Obligatory xkcd (click to show/hide)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: July 13, 2014, 11:27:35 pm »

Has this been posted yet?

http://www.digitaljournal.com/science/vantablack-the-darkest-material-ever-made/article/389583
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Carbon fiber tubes properly arranged on aluminum foil, apparently, reflect only about 0.035% of light that hits it. No matter how you hold this stuff up to the light, you still can't see any of the surface features, only a silhouette.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: July 13, 2014, 11:30:36 pm »

www.independent.co.uk/news/science/blackest-is-the-new-black-scientists-have-developed-a-material-so-dark-that-you-cant-see-it-9602504.html

A British company has produced a "strange, alien" material so black that it absorbs all but 0.035 per cent of visual light, setting a new world record. To stare at the "super black" coating made of carbon nanotubes – each 10,000 times thinner than a human hair – is an odd experience. It is so dark that the human eye cannot understand what it is seeing. Shapes and contours are lost, leaving nothing but an apparent abyss.
Sounds like a pretty cool supermaterial, and I'm sure you guys can think up some applications for this. Stealth planes for a start.

The material conducts heat seven and a half times more effectively than copper and has 10 times the tensile strength of steel.
As mere side-effects obviously.

Fake-edit: Ninja'd by Lagslayer.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:39:32 pm by Reelya »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: July 13, 2014, 11:49:21 pm »

It's carbon nano-tubes, of course it's a bloody wonderwaffen.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: July 13, 2014, 11:55:25 pm »

As cool as it is, are we sure this is real? The Digital Journal links only to the Independent and the Daily Mail as sources, while the Independent doesn't link to anything at all. I'm under the impression that those two aren't exactly the most...honest of publications.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: July 14, 2014, 12:00:25 am »

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: July 14, 2014, 12:06:58 am »

This might be it?
Looks like that's a couple of years old. Of course, it could be that they only announced it to the public after managing to semi-reliably produce the stuff.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: July 14, 2014, 12:14:40 am »

It's the only result on Google Scholar for Vantablack, and vanta by itself brings down a storm of foreign language papers that appear unrelated.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: July 14, 2014, 12:37:00 am »

And searching "Surrey Nanosystems" only brings up details of their process. It's hardly surprising that they won't publish the details though.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: July 14, 2014, 04:36:11 am »

It's the only result on Google Scholar for Vantablack, and vanta by itself brings down a storm of foreign language papers that appear unrelated.

And searching "Surrey Nanosystems" only brings up details of their process. It's hardly surprising that they won't publish the details though.

VANTA is an acronym, and is general to this type of research, so it's about as specific as googling carbon nanotubes. From Google Scholar, there's been two papers put out this year about VANTA CNTs on Al foils (as in the article) but neither list Surrey Nanosystems as a sponsor or research partner in the acknowledgements, so it is likely these are unrelated;

The partial space qualification of a vertically aligned carbon nanotube coating on aluminium substrates for EO applications, by Theocharous et al (same author as MSH's paper).

And

Freestanding foils of nanotube arrays fused with metals by Poenitzsch et al.

Ultimately, this is unsurprising; typically, industry based research isn't published, or at least, not until it's been patented to hell and back.

Now, as to the military applications, I actually don't think there'd be too many. Pure black is a horrible colour for camoflague, and I doubt it would have the same absorbance in radar wavelengths, so it's not so great for stealth planes. The linked article on VANTAs by MSH says it's spectrally flat in the IR range (0.8-14 um), so it might have some application in fooling thermal detection, but I doubt it.

Most likely, I'd say the biggest application would be as a heat-sink material; emissivity is equal to absorbance, so the blacker something is, the better a radiator it is. Coupled with the good heat conductance of the CNTs, this would be very helpful for dumping heat.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:38:08 am by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: July 15, 2014, 01:11:55 pm »

Subsurface liquid water oceans on titan, which could explain the methane replenishment in it's atmosphere. Unlike Ganymede (come on! Multiple layers of oceans!), we don't know whether there's a rocky bottom, improving chances of life, and it's thought to be a bit of a sulfurous cocktail.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/whycassini/cassini20120628.html
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/m/news/news.php?release=2014-217#.U8VJN7En9Wl
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: July 15, 2014, 01:46:02 pm »

Subsurface oceans on Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Ceres, and now friggin titan. I'm sure I've missed some. Yeesh.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: July 15, 2014, 02:04:30 pm »

Subsurface oceans on Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Ceres, and now friggin titan. I'm sure I've missed some. Yeesh.

I'd missed some of those, thanks :D
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: July 15, 2014, 02:08:51 pm »

Encladeus as well I believe.

Also, didn't know that Titan has a subsurface ocean.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: July 15, 2014, 03:29:45 pm »

Titan? Titan has fricken surface oceans of hydrocarbons in addition to a potential liquid layer.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 339