Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490850 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2100 on: November 26, 2014, 09:49:17 pm »

Glorious 6-Armed Master Race

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: November 26, 2014, 10:05:12 pm »

I can't wait till they come up with gene therapy that cures me of having only two arms.  Life as a mere two-armed person is kind of lame.   :P

They're working on the extra arms bit:

http://www.gizmag.com/mit-supernumerary-robotic-arms/32793/

Robot arms with AI that can sense what you're doing and help out automatically.
Just when I thought transhumanism couldn't sink any lower. They don't even want your mind to control your own limbs.

They'd have to make a brain-machine interface that doesn't involve installing a port into your skull first.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: November 26, 2014, 10:12:28 pm »

But... but...! My skull port! Skull ports are sexy. Just think of what you can stick in them!

... like wireless connections to one of those crowd suppressing drones or something. Impress your neighbors, terrorize your other neighbors, all from the comfort of your own mind (and many thousands of dollars of self-propelled crowd control)!

Seriously though you can't have cyberpunk and transitional transhumanism without the plug-in chic, damnit.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:14:17 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: November 26, 2014, 10:40:28 pm »

I was watching Stan Lee's Superhumans the other day and there was a father and son who according to how the show put it are around 200 times as resistant to electricity as normal people are. That could be a fun mutation if it has no down side.

Geez, I wonder what kind of bizarre accident happened to them that led them to finding that out.
I don't remember if they said how they discovered it but they showcased their ability at the start of the episode by taking apart a light fixture and creating a circuit through their arms while the host used a meter to measure the current. I'm not an electrical expert by any means so I have to take their word that it was an impressive amount of electricity. One of the tests observed the heart while electricity went through their body. I was in the bathroom during that test though. When I got back they were wrapping up and I think they said there was no ill effect on the heart.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #2104 on: November 26, 2014, 10:41:19 pm »

Eyeball ports.  Its like the sockets are already there!
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: November 26, 2014, 10:58:21 pm »

I'd hope they'd be for things other than carrots.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: November 26, 2014, 11:32:19 pm »

I can't wait till they come up with gene therapy that cures me of having only two arms.  Life as a mere two-armed person is kind of lame.   :P

They're working on the extra arms bit:

http://www.gizmag.com/mit-supernumerary-robotic-arms/32793/

Robot arms with AI that can sense what you're doing and help out automatically.
Just when I thought transhumanism couldn't sink any lower. They don't even want your mind to control your own limbs.

They'd have to make a brain-machine interface that doesn't involve installing a port into your skull first.

Don't they have those to some extend already? IIRC there are some devices that can sense electrical signals through the skin.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: November 26, 2014, 11:34:38 pm »

But... but...! My skull port! Skull ports are sexy. Just think of what you can stick in them!

... like wireless connections to one of those crowd suppressing drones or something. Impress your neighbors, terrorize your other neighbors, all from the comfort of your own mind (and many thousands of dollars of self-propelled crowd control)!

Seriously though you can't have cyberpunk and transitional transhumanism without the plug-in chic, damnit.
No can do. I want to keep my long hair.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: November 26, 2014, 11:36:53 pm »

You should be able to keep the long hair! Or at least grow it back. Hiding dataports under long hair is totally a cyberpunk thing. Hidden sockets are part of the style.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: November 26, 2014, 11:44:07 pm »

Fair enough. Sounds good to me, then.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: November 27, 2014, 06:47:39 am »

I just want to say, while transdermal implants are possible... they are really a terrible idea. The area is ripe for potential infection or injury.

Most likely, any future data-jack will be a high-bandwidth wireless link situated near, but importantly under, the skin, which allows our skin to actually do it's job and keep crud out. Put a couple of magnets there to help with orientation, and you're set (just make sure they're not too strong to pinch the skin excessively).
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: November 27, 2014, 06:55:40 am »

I just want to say, while transdermal implants are possible... they are really a terrible idea. The area is ripe for potential infection or injury.

Most likely, any future data-jack will be a high-bandwidth wireless link situated near, but importantly under, the skin, which allows our skin to actually do it's job and keep crud out. Put a couple of magnets there to help with orientation, and you're set (just make sure they're not too strong to pinch the skin excessively).

Those already exist in the form of cochlear implants.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2112 on: November 27, 2014, 01:41:37 pm »

Geoengineering experiments starting in the next two years.

Seems pretty neat to me. Not sure how efficient it'll be in the long run, though.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: November 27, 2014, 01:42:26 pm »

Crossposting from the Happy thread:

Today is Bill Nye's birthday! Be sure to do some science today in his honor.

!!SCIENCE!! optional.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: November 27, 2014, 01:52:32 pm »

Geoengineering experiments starting in the next two years.

Seems pretty neat to me. Not sure how efficient it'll be in the long run, though.

Um, one of the experiments involves releasing a kilogram of sulfur, wouldn't that potentially contribute to acid rain on larger scales? I know it's a tiny amount and the only way we will find out how things will behave is to do the experiments.

There is the whole butterfly effect at a simpler level hanging over the whole thing, doing one thing would have a cascade of effects.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 339