Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490835 times)

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #3000 on: April 10, 2015, 03:10:41 pm »

It keeps it from being externally lethal.
This has been used in game multiple times to survive falling from upper atmosphere with no way of slowing down. It has an ((electro magnetic?)) outer shielding, armor plating, some sort of futuristic skin suit, and some fluid to protect the wearer.

Though this is also used on people who are heavily modified so maybe I'm leaving a lot of info out on the person wearing the suit.
This is the augmentations put on the person we are talking about.
Strong bones, strong muscles, strong vascular system. But yeah, you could easily suffer extreme brain damage unless the suit supported your head incredibly well. Also, I know they covered strong vascular system, but there still seems like there'd be a huge risk of an artery around the heart severing, at least partially, on impact (called traumatic aortic disruption).

Generally the only safe way to survive is gradual deceleration. I'm not terribly familiar with Halo, but their hypothetical scientists were complete idiots if they thought the best way was to just make a suit that could withstand impact at terminal velocity rather than building in any way to slow down.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: April 10, 2015, 03:24:57 pm »

I don't think the Higgs Boson works that way.
The closest you could get is using dark energy (if it actually exists) to give everything inside a ship and the ship itself negative mass.
Dark energy doesn't work that way. It obeys gravity same as dark matter and normal matter. It's known characteristics are: negative pressure (pushes outward), low density, and uniform distribution across the universe.
Something something shutup. *walks into corner crying*
How dare you make him cry. It's obvious he meant negative energy. Jerk. :P

Couldn't you hypothetically build a working warp-drive if you harnessed the ability to project these particles in a given space, removing mass and thus instantly teleporting you I guess?

If you're talking about the Higgs Particle, then no. What I think you're asking is if you removed mass from a collection of particles, couldn't that be used to teleport things. Let's say we could hypothetically "shut off" the Higgs field in a given region. Let's take a long long tunnel, where you want to stand on one end, and teleport to the other end by shutting off the Higgs field. As soon as it's shut off, basically all the electrons and protons and quarks and anything else with mass would be ripped apart from each other and all your particles would go flying off in different directions at the speed of light. There'd be no way to accelerate them in a particular direction, or even predict which directions they'd fly out. Very few particles would ever reach the other end of the tunnel, let alone in a state you could reassemble anything.

As an aside, I think there'd be some nice weapons tech with being able to shut off the higgs field. Instant and efficient disintegration.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: April 10, 2015, 03:26:00 pm »

being able to shut off the higgs field.

might as well shut off the electron field while you're at it...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: April 10, 2015, 03:30:01 pm »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:26:58 pm by penguinofhonor »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: April 10, 2015, 03:31:53 pm »

This thread can be used for random science questions right? It's been like that before I think.

What would happen, well detailed, if a person were to fall from upper atmosphere (or where ever they would gain terminal velocity I guess) in an armored exo suit (Like in halo) and landed with no parachute. Lets say landing in a grassy field.

Assuming that the suit can make the impact survivable would there be any effects of that quick of a stop on the brain or internals such as a concussion?
So you're asking, "Assuming the suit made the fall survivable, how would it kill you"?

E:
Also of note, Redemption Ark featured inertia dampeners rather prominently.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: April 10, 2015, 03:49:06 pm »

If it made the impact itself not break you such as powdering your bones or ripping off flesh because of hitting at such speeds. Basicaly if you could survive the other ways would internal damage kill you.

@Urist Arrheneis- the makers of the suit acctualy never meant for them to be dropped from atmosphere, it was designed as combat armor for augmented super soldiers. Basicaly take a human who is augmented to be super human and put them in armor to amplify the modifications then add a hyper inteligent AI to the suit to help them and basicaly be almost melded into their conciousness. ((Sorta like the two pilots in Jagers from pacific rim)) The AI helps with information the soldier doesn't have and the soldier has the tactics and combat side of being a super soldier.
The suit costs as much as a small starship with a slip space drive ((expensive engine used for interstellar travel))
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3006 on: April 10, 2015, 04:06:45 pm »

Well, you could hypothetically build a suit that would allow the skeleton to get through orbital insertion intact, given some kind of supermaterial (probably carbon nanotubes, according to this thread) but you'd need a similar support structure to basically keep every organ rigid on impact, or they'd liquefy from the shock. That's a lot more difficult. So yeah, internal damage would kill you. Comprehensively.

Your alternative is to increase the time element of the impulse equation, i.e. wrap them in a heck of a lot of cotton wool.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 04:09:46 pm by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: April 10, 2015, 04:08:00 pm »

Carbon nanotubes will make the impact even worse, since they'll either be a harder impact than the ground or rip you to shreds when they break.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3008 on: April 10, 2015, 04:13:59 pm »

It was a joke about the whole 'carbon OP' thing. I have no idea what would be best for building a suit like that.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3009 on: April 10, 2015, 04:17:36 pm »

And reverse the polarity of the shield capacitor!
Rout the higgs-boson compensator through the main deflector array and you can achieve faster than light travel and brew a mean cup of tea at the same time!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: April 10, 2015, 04:42:04 pm »

The only way I can think of to make the shock survivable is to construct some sort of magical device that evenly distributes the force of impact evenly across a sufficiently large majority of the molecules in your body. Perhaps Maxwell's Demon, armed with a very finely-tuned array of arbitrary force generators could do it. Perhaps you exploit whatever it is that lets superconductors levitate things? If the force that creates is dependent on water concentrations or something else that varies across organ systems, you might be able to rig something up with those that could do the job if it were ever possible to have enough information to aim the damn things. You run into the problem of "I need to exert more force on your liver than on your skin, how do I do that without cutting you open."
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: April 10, 2015, 04:49:54 pm »

Would the ((2-3 inches?)) of fluid in the suit be able to absorb the impact?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3012 on: April 10, 2015, 04:53:48 pm »

Would the ((2-3 inches?)) of fluid in the suit be able to absorb the impact?
I imagine the fluid would quite efficiently transfer the impact force to your skin. Unless it has some kind of magical physics-defying properties?

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: April 10, 2015, 04:57:35 pm »

It's got some wierd properties.
They talk about it in the link I gave earlier

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3014 on: April 10, 2015, 05:00:21 pm »

Bottom line is that to survive the impact you basically need to ignore what we know about physics and invent a sci-fi device which accomplishes the task. If you're asking what COULD do that, well a device that simply nullified the impact force or redirects it would suffice.

Unpowered lithobraking isn't especially survivable or compatible with biological life.
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 339