Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490721 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2970 on: April 09, 2015, 05:45:08 pm »

Couldn't you hypothetically build a working warp-drive if you harnessed the ability to project these particles in a given space, removing mass and thus instantly teleporting you I guess?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: April 09, 2015, 06:20:35 pm »

Context...?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: April 09, 2015, 06:42:19 pm »

Couldn't you hypothetically build a working warp-drive if you harnessed the ability to project these particles in a given space, removing mass and thus instantly teleporting you I guess?

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: April 09, 2015, 07:19:53 pm »

These are all words, but they don't mean much together. I'm particularly interested in "the ability to project these particles in a given space." What particles, what ability, and what do you mean given space?
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: April 09, 2015, 07:47:07 pm »

This right here. So much this.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2975 on: April 09, 2015, 07:48:59 pm »

I think he might mean the Higgs boson?

*Shrugs*

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: April 09, 2015, 07:49:36 pm »

The higgs boson is pretty massive, not... uh, whatever "removing mass" is supposed to mean.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: April 09, 2015, 10:31:46 pm »

A better question would be if you could artificially increase higgs field interactions by putting a high energy particle collider on the front of a spaceship, so that high energy higgs particles co-exist with normal virtual higgs particles, and thus slightly alter the gravitational forces on the front of the ship, vs the aft of the ship.

The particles dont have to live for very long, just long enough to exert a tiny force.

Probably would NOT be worth the energy expenditure (EVER), and would be FAR more trouble than it is worth-- the question is hypothetical-- would it slightly increase apparent mass of the front of the ship from the increased interactions?

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #2978 on: April 10, 2015, 06:20:38 am »

I don't think the Higgs Boson works that way.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: April 10, 2015, 06:41:19 am »

I'd use the power of friendship.

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: April 10, 2015, 09:21:44 am »

I don't think the Higgs Boson works that way.
The closest you could get is using dark energy (if it actually exists) to give everything inside a ship and the ship itself negative mass.
Dark energy doesn't work that way. It obeys gravity same as dark matter and normal matter. It's known characteristics are: negative pressure (pushes outward), low density, and uniform distribution across the universe.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: April 10, 2015, 09:58:00 am »

I'd use the power of friendship.

Not as powerful as gravity
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: April 10, 2015, 11:08:32 am »

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 06:34:16 pm by penguinofhonor »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: April 10, 2015, 11:22:50 am »

Apparently sports supplements (protein bars/shakes/etc) market themselves as a good way to recover after a workout but a study has suggested they're no better for that than fast food. Makes sense to me, that stuff has always seemed like snake oil for healthy people.
I am as surprised as I am thirsty. And I've just drank a litre of juice, so you can imagine how thirsty I'm not.
2/10

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: April 10, 2015, 11:28:41 am »

Apparently sports supplements (protein bars/shakes/etc) market themselves as a good way to recover after a workout but a study has suggested they're no better for that than fast food. Makes sense to me, that stuff has always seemed like snake oil for healthy people.
I am as surprised as I am thirsty. And I've just drank a litre of juice, so you can imagine how thirsty I'm not.
If you drank a litre, you probably have in fact been quite thirsty and still might be :P

The thing here is, both groups got relatively equal amounts of nutrients, both energy- and quality-wise. I don't understand why would anybody imagine there's any difference. The things that actually matter are things that tip the balance in either calorie or nutrient counts, such as high-protein foods - protein BARS are a joke, those are pretty much chocolate bars with an obligatory small dose of protein thrown in and, apparently, used to replace 50% of the taste of an actual chocolate bar, while keeping roughly the same amount of sugar.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 339