Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490741 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #3090 on: April 15, 2015, 02:33:34 am »

Literally the only part of the universe that matters.

I'm not using literally in the figurative sense, either; there is absolutely no possible way for anything outside the observable universe to affect Earth. That's kinda the definition of the observable universe.
That said the observable is getting bigger at the rate of 1 light year per year. :P

And technically anything on the other side of a wormhole would be included in the observable universe, you'd just need to look through the wormhole.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: April 15, 2015, 02:36:49 am »

Literally the only part of the universe that matters.

I'm not using literally in the figurative sense, either; there is absolutely no possible way for anything outside the observable universe to affect Earth. That's kinda the definition of the observable universe.
That said the observable is getting bigger at the rate of 1 light year per year. :P

And technically anything on the other side of a wormhole would be included in the observable universe, you'd just need to look through the wormhole.

It's getting bigger faster than that...

Though not by much. It's about 1.000000103 light years per year.

Expansion of space and all that.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: April 15, 2015, 02:50:13 am »

I'm not sure about being able to transport mass past the speed of light. I think FTL information travel is definitely possible, though, but then again that's a meaningless statement since we achieved it already.

So far the only way for FTL that I can imagine is to destroy something and send its information to be rebuilt at the destination, which, again, is kind of pointless as FTL because you might as well make a dozen copies of the thing you want to send over.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: April 15, 2015, 02:55:42 am »

I think FTL information travel is definitely possible, though, but then again that's a meaningless statement since we achieved it already.

No it is not and no we have not.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: April 15, 2015, 06:59:00 am »

There isn't anything FTL because light-speed already equals infinite speed from your point of view, if you're looking from the front of the object moving at light speed.

It also equals exactly half of light-speed if you're looking from behind the object moving at light speed.

Relativity is confusing.
._.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3095 on: April 15, 2015, 07:27:26 am »

I think FTL information travel is definitely possible, though, but then again that's a meaningless statement since we achieved it already.
Gonna need a citation here... did we develop the ansible when I wasn't looking?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3096 on: April 15, 2015, 07:33:02 am »

I recall us managing to transfer information via quantum entanglement without having to send the information there post-rotation or whatever, but I know my brain, so that's probably something it made up.
Again... Citation Needed. I'm not finding anything in searches other than a few crackpot claims along the lines of free energy and a few about how you can live on nothing but air and sunlight, no food needed!

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: April 15, 2015, 07:36:09 am »

I recall us managing to transfer information via quantum entanglement without having to send the information there post-rotation or whatever, but I know my brain, so that's probably something it made up.
You're referencing a real thing, but it's not genuinely faster than light information travel. Two distant observers may make the observation simultaneously, but one could not send a determined piece of information to a distant observer faster than light.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: April 15, 2015, 07:39:28 am »

If we had achieved FTL information transfer, we'd know about it; that's a Nobel prize winning, Earth-shattering, causality rewriting ability.

No, as it stands, we still need to compare results to confirm entanglement had occurred.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: April 15, 2015, 08:09:04 am »

Wouldn't FTL messages get to where you send them before you even sent it? or was that some stupid sifi thing that stuck in my head as true?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: April 15, 2015, 08:12:59 am »

Wouldn't FTL messages get to where you send them before you even sent it? or was that some stupid sifi thing that stuck in my head as true?

If they're in different inertial reference frames, yep. To use them as a time machine, all you would need is to shoot one off as fast as possible into space, and use it as a relay to bounce messages off.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3101 on: April 15, 2015, 08:14:56 am »

I remember a book where that was one of the primary plot elements. People on Earth in the future were using an untested technology to send messages to themselves in the past by beaming the message at the point in space where the earth would have been, or something to that effect. Warning themselves about an upcoming disaster so they might better prepare for it.

It got weird.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: April 15, 2015, 12:13:01 pm »

To be clear, an FTL message that you send cannot return to you before you send it. And there isn't much preventing a new type of particle that can travel faster than light, but we haven't found one yet, and likely we won't. It would make the concept of simultaneity more complicated, but that wouldn't make it inconsistent or anything. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNriGs9hL8M

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: April 16, 2015, 07:11:23 am »

To be clear, an FTL message that you send cannot return to you before you send it.

Uh, only because a message is unable to change direction. If you have an ansible, and you have a relay moving relative to you with their own ansible, you can bounce messages back into your past.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: April 16, 2015, 08:20:08 am »

So what exactly makes time?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 339