Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490723 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #3345 on: August 09, 2015, 10:02:28 am »

@Iceball- .-. I've already said that I agree with you guys and that acid bullets aren't practical.. At all..
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: August 09, 2015, 05:16:51 pm »

The polymer department of my town's technical university has made a breakthrough in researching polymers that can be commanded to expand or shrink, when triggered by photons or electric stimuli.

Practicable application in the near future will include "mobile coatings", "touchscreens that you can feel (braille touchscreens anyone?)", and "finely adjustable robot fingers"
Is it practicable for other haptic feedback uses, such as for virtual reality gloves, or is the resolution too low?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: August 09, 2015, 10:41:18 pm »

There's a much better technology for haptic feedback.  it can cover more than just tactile sensation; can make your finger tips feel hot, cold, and a number of other sensations using simple electrical feedback in the finger tip.

Sadly, cannot find link right now.  Very cool though.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: August 11, 2015, 07:13:54 pm »

... because nothing has actually been built yet. Be excited when there's at-least a prototype or somethin', not just unimplemented designs.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: August 11, 2015, 07:18:21 pm »

Sounds good, thanks.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: August 11, 2015, 08:29:53 pm »

Quick, somebody competent tell me why I shouldn't be excited.
≡Fusion reactor plan≡
This is a fusion reactor plan.
The work is of “exceptional quality”
The humans are toiling. The article depicts a more efficient magnetic containment for super-heated plasma.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: August 11, 2015, 11:10:15 pm »

Except pretty sure if a fusion reactor breaks down, it just kind of fizzles out :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: August 11, 2015, 11:13:37 pm »

Pretty much. It would vent some very hot helium and hydrogen, a blast of neutrons and protons-- and then be done.

Now, the fusion reactor's containment system might get quite radioactive from the neutron and proton surge--- but those are expected to become irradiated over time anyway from the fusion reaction itself under normal operation.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: August 11, 2015, 11:22:01 pm »

Then what you want, is for an underground natural fission reaction to go supercritical underneath a major city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_nuclear_fission_reactor

Fusion is so much safer than fission it just isn't funny.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: August 14, 2015, 08:09:44 am »

Some remarkable footage of an opera singer undergoing open brain surgery to remove a tumor, while singing an opera. (don't worry no blood)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obiARnsKUAo

Now, a year later, the guy in the video reports he's doing fine, and still singing opera.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 08:28:22 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: August 14, 2015, 11:31:43 am »

Such things always remind me of the ending sequence from 2000 a space oddessy, where they pull HAL's microchips with him still on.

This had a much happier ending though. Amazing how fault tolerant human brains are.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: August 14, 2015, 11:35:08 am »

It's pretty clever, really. You don't feel pain in your brain, and if people are performing an activity such as opera singing, the doctors can tell when they touch an area that they shouldnt touch.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: August 14, 2015, 12:04:31 pm »

Some remarkable footage of an opera singer undergoing open brain surgery to remove a tumor, while singing an opera. (don't worry no blood)

Now, a year later, the guy in the video reports he's doing fine, and still singing opera.

Scary as hell.  All I can think of is that scene in Agents of Shield.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've got a bit of a phobia about brain surgery though.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 03:07:56 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Rubidium

• Bay Watcher
  • Rubidium has RETURNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: August 18, 2015, 09:58:05 am »

Scary as hell.  All I can think of is that scene in Agents of Shield.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've got a bit of a phobia about brain surgery though.
Just tell me, was that scene real?
Rubidium has RETURNED!
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 339