Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 489797 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4170 on: August 18, 2016, 09:43:38 pm »

In fairness, we don't know that it can never allow for communication. We merely have not observed any manner that allows for it so far.

I think prudence is called for when dealing with quantum mechanics. They seem to have a tendency to beat down human intuition and logic.

The theorem that it is not possible to do so is based on the math in QM, not "human intuition and logic". That's just completely unrelated.
Easy there killer, I'm just saying we don't have enough experience and knowledge to go scoffing at experimental attempts at quantum communication, and that QM is slippery. The math still gets viewed and analyzed by our crazy meat brains, and we miss almost everything we observe.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: August 18, 2016, 09:57:55 pm »

It's just weird because there are rules that make it seem from our experience as though there are no rules, which couldn't be much further from the truth.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: August 19, 2016, 10:16:52 am »

No, but QE would allow transmissions that cannot be intercepted en-route at all. You could only intercept it at the destination or source, and if you know where they are then you've probably got more information than necessary in the situation anyways.
Except ways to have snoop proof communication already exist. It's called RSA 4086.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: August 19, 2016, 10:31:10 am »

Except ways to have snoop proof communication already exist. It's called RSA 4086.
(4096)

Until a sufficiently neat way of circumventing the current limitations of decryption arises (such as Quantum Computing?), and then you'll be glad to have a stream of data that cannot be broken by listening in (or, rather, which will break and not transmit anything of any use to anyone) like with Quantum Entanglement.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: August 30, 2016, 10:53:09 pm »

Researchers in a Liberian study into Ebola are saddened to have to report, that ebola can still be found in a man´s sperm, even one and a half year after being cured from the illness.
Up until now it was assumed that the virus would have completely left the body after about 3 months.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: August 30, 2016, 10:54:50 pm »

Excellent. This conclusively proves the long held suspicion that sperm cells are immune carriers of ebola. Now we may, through gene therapy, make ourselves immune to ebola by coding every cell in the body as sperm.

Praise science.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: August 31, 2016, 01:08:17 am »

Excellent. This conclusively proves the long held suspicion that sperm cells are immune carriers of ebola. Now we may, through gene therapy, make ourselves immune to ebola by coding every cell in the body as sperm.

Praise science.
We Donald Trump now?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: August 31, 2016, 01:24:06 am »

Researchers in a Liberian study into Ebola are saddened to have to report, that ebola can still be found in a man´s sperm, even one and a half year after being cured from the illness.
Up until now it was assumed that the virus would have completely left the body after about 3 months.

This is sufficiently terrifying. When the fuck does it die?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: August 31, 2016, 03:49:18 am »

Starting to look like it doesn't, just like HIV. If you've had ebola once, you could well be a carrier for the rest of your life.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: August 31, 2016, 03:56:23 am »

Now that could be a serious problem. It sidesteps ebola's main limitation while allowing it to return to more conventional spread at any time.
No Gods, No Masters.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: August 31, 2016, 10:49:37 am »

Conspiracy to depopulate the world?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: August 31, 2016, 12:11:34 pm »

I doubt it. An actual bioweapon would be much harder to treat.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: August 31, 2016, 12:57:45 pm »

Unless the bioweapon was designed to not be an obvious untreatable bioweapon in order to avoid alerting the effected populace.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4183 on: August 31, 2016, 01:01:24 pm »

That actually makes sense. I'm scared now, simply because all the evidence points toward "no reason to be scared."
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: August 31, 2016, 04:02:58 pm »

Unless the bioweapon was designed to not be an obvious untreatable bioweapon in order to avoid alerting the effected populace.
> implying they don't think it's a punishment from god for the gays

Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 339