Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490983 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4185 on: August 31, 2016, 04:59:29 pm »

> implying they don't think it's a punishment from god for the gays

That doesn't mean "they" are alerted that the bioweapon is actually a bioweapon though. It's just an act of a vengeful god, not the creation of a shady backroom organization of people that wants to destroy the world for whatever reason.

People can't do shit if it's an act of a vengeful god, but if people are responsible it would be theoretically possible to find the people responsible and get revenge for using the bioweapon. They just have to find irrefutable proof that the bioweapon is actually a bioweapon made by the shady backroom organization.

That actually makes sense. I'm scared now, simply because all the evidence points toward "no reason to be scared."
This is how conspiracy theorists start. Make sure you have a tin foil hat handy and remember to buy water filters.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: August 31, 2016, 08:39:01 pm »

No, no don't buy waterfilters. Don't you know that the government installs tracking devices in all survival kit gear? Turning your tinfoil hat upside down and filling it with coal should work. Remember to remove the coal before putting it back on.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 08:40:34 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: September 01, 2016, 01:11:05 am »

Just get the filter with the correct bonding angle.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4188 on: September 01, 2016, 01:06:26 pm »

I don't get it. Should I get it?

(Of course I get the xkcd, I'd be ashamed if I didn't.)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: September 01, 2016, 01:15:12 pm »

It's somewhat obscure, but I know that it's memetic in some circles. Basically, there's this certain company that really likes to advertise their dumb water filter in scientific magazines, mainly Popular Science and Scientific American, and they keep claiming that their water filter will you water molecules with the "healthy" bonding angles which will make you less likely to get cancer and other illnesses. So on places like r/science if scientific quackery show up people start making jokes about bonding angles. i.e. "That new age treatment didn't work because she meditated with the wrong angle."
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4190 on: September 01, 2016, 01:30:21 pm »

I had no idea that there were science memes

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: September 01, 2016, 02:40:34 pm »

Well, "meme". More like an in-joke between people who read English-language science magazines, really.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4192 on: September 01, 2016, 02:43:41 pm »

Random Aside: I don't know if we've talked about it here before but I just read about the delayed-choice experiment again and I'm just trying to wrap my brain around the fact that photons somehow consider every possible path along their trajectory before resolving their position

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: September 01, 2016, 03:00:45 pm »

There both are and are not science memes, at least until someone tries to see what they are...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: September 01, 2016, 03:43:56 pm »

Random Aside: I don't know if we've talked about it here before but I just read about the delayed-choice experiment again and I'm just trying to wrap my brain around the fact that photons somehow consider every possible path along their trajectory before resolving their position

Personally, I think resolving the understanding of this could be related to sorting out quantum relativity.

Photons are traveling at the speed of light, meaning they should experience time and space dilation. A quote here from another site: "the spacetime distance of the path travelled by a photon (through vacuum) is zero". Perhaps we need to view a "photon" not as a "thing" but as an instantaneous (to light) energy-discharge event from one place to another, with the intervening space shaping the discharge. That's one of the things which makes interpretation complex: the logic of time and space themselves break down when you're dealing with speed-of-light objects. It's kinda common sense once you think about these things in relativistic terms. We just haven't gotten our heads around the fact that photons are fundamentally a relativistic phenomena as well as a quantum one.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 03:45:35 pm by Reelya »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4195 on: September 01, 2016, 03:48:33 pm »

Personally, I think resolving the understanding of this could be related to sorting out quantum relativity.

Photons are traveling at the speed of light, meaning they should experience time and space dilation. A quote here from another site: "the spacetime distance of the path travelled by a photon (through vacuum) is zero". Perhaps we need to view a "photon" not as a "thing" but as an instantaneous (to light) energy-discharge event from one place to another, with the intervening space shaping the discharge. That's one of the things which makes interpretation complex: the logic of time and space themselves break down when you're dealing with speed-of-light objects. It's kinda common sense once you think about these things in relativistic terms. We just haven't gotten our heads around the fact that photons are fundamentally a relativistic phenomena as well as a quantum one.
The part that really got me was imagining the same experiment but on a galactic scale. A photon from another star, or from the creation of the universe itself, considered all possible collisions and routes that could ever occur before resolving itself. It really underlines what you said, their own space-time distance is zero. In other words, photon don't care about that 10 billion year trip across space, it already knows where its going and where it will end up. Its already happened, as far as the photon is concerned. We're just stuck out here watching it in macro time.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: September 01, 2016, 07:12:38 pm »

Photons are traveling at the speed of light, meaning they should experience time and space dilation.

This is exactly wrong. To be exact, it's wrong to say that photons experience anything, not because of any philosophical bull regarding definitions of "experience" but because they don't have any valid frame from which "experience" can be defined at all.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: September 02, 2016, 06:13:57 am »

so like whoa man
what if you were a photon
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: September 02, 2016, 09:02:17 pm »

Future
--------/ ### H ### D
-------/ #### E ### R
------/ ##### R ### A
Now ###### E ### G
------\ ###### # ### O
-------\ ###### B ### N
--------\ ###### E ### S
Past

You can follow an observer and note what they're doing from the past as they move along to the future, you could follow an observer as they wonder how they shoomped some great distance across the universe into dragonland.

If you're massive and traveling along the diagonals between "timeland" and "dragonland" then you're by definition moving at the speed of light, have infinite inertial mass, and infinite time dilation: no witty journal quips are going to come out of the universe-brightening wreckage when you hit something, you wouldn't be able to measure time between hitting c and hitting whatever poor planetary system you obliterate.

Applying that to what a photon would experience is... weird, since the whole "infinite time dilation" thing kicks in due to the specification of a massive observer moving at c.

A body without rest mass at c doesn't quite fit the same "what would x experience" framework, if you want to go down a series of fun rabbit holes along that hypothetical sheaf though, you could do worse than follow Wheeler and Feynman and wonder if an electron experiences itself jumping back and forth through time, interacting with itself in a gigantic fustercluck? Probably not, but it is a neat thought experiment!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4199 on: September 03, 2016, 11:45:04 am »

Code: [Select]
Future
--------/ ### H ### D
-------/ #### E ### R
------/ ##### R ### A
Now ######### E ### G
------\ ###### # ### O
-------\ ###### B ### N
--------\ ###### E ### S
Past

You can follow an observer and note what they're doing from the past as they move along to the future, you could follow an observer as they wonder how they shoomped some great distance across the universe into dragonland.

If you're massive and traveling along the diagonals between "timeland" and "dragonland" then you're by definition moving at the speed of light, have infinite inertial mass, and infinite time dilation: no witty journal quips are going to come out of the universe-brightening wreckage when you hit something, you wouldn't be able to measure time between hitting c and hitting whatever poor planetary system you obliterate.

Applying that to what a photon would experience is... weird, since the whole "infinite time dilation" thing kicks in due to the specification of a massive observer moving at c.

A body without rest mass at c doesn't quite fit the same "what would x experience" framework, if you want to go down a series of fun rabbit holes along that hypothetical sheaf though, you could do worse than follow Wheeler and Feynman and wonder if an electron experiences itself jumping back and forth through time, interacting with itself in a gigantic fustercluck? Probably not, but it is a neat thought experiment!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 339