Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 489854 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4530 on: October 25, 2016, 02:36:41 pm »

I'll keep an eye on this, I guess...

Having a sorta trippy moment thinking about relativity and such at the moment.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: October 25, 2016, 02:41:00 pm »

All moving object, like, has the properties of a wave, maaaaaaaaaan

* Cinder creates a bong movement wave function
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: October 25, 2016, 02:42:58 pm »

._.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: October 25, 2016, 03:21:54 pm »

relativity
wave
I can't decide if I want to get amused or offended.
Either works, depending on how you look at it.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: October 25, 2016, 03:52:36 pm »

Don't forget to consider your frame of reference!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: November 06, 2016, 08:11:03 pm »

Remember that whole 'swimming in spacetime' thing? Here's a cool (/cute) article on the subject, complete with illustrations that actually make you understand how it works!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4536 on: November 06, 2016, 09:20:53 pm »

I strongly recommend the 2-D globe-surface illustration. It is very good.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: November 06, 2016, 09:31:55 pm »

That's what this was.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: November 07, 2016, 05:09:20 pm »

The Dutch physicist and professor in theoretical physics Erik Verlinde has finally published his new paper on gravity, which has been highly anticipated amongst his fellow physicists. It is said that this could be the succesor to Einstein's theory of general relativity.

The 40 page article, published on Arxiv this night, is the first paper that offers an comprehensive explanation for dark matter, which has been one of the main problems in theoretical physics for decades.

Verlinde says in his paper, that dark matter is an illusion, based on our dated / obsolete understanding of gravity.

In 2010, Verlinde already made world news with his position that gravity is not a force, as assumed by Newton.
Einstein's perception of gravity as a curvature of spacetime is also dated / obsolete, according to Verlinde.
Instead of a force, the tendency of masses to move towards each other is a kind of pressure that is created by the change of information in the universe when a mass moves. When a mass appears heavy, it is because the universe resists lifting it.
In 2010 Verlinde surprised his international colleagues by deriving Newton's laws from his cosmic information theory. Back then, his theory did not include dark matter yet.
Now it does.

Sorry, my newspaper does not have a link yet to the arxiv file, probably because it's too fresh.
http://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/baanbrekende-theorie-donkere-materie-is-een-volstrekte-illusie~a4410710/

this is a link to the arxiv listing of his 2010 paper https://arxiv.org/abs/1001.0785
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 05:17:14 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4539 on: November 07, 2016, 05:20:17 pm »

Eh, seems kind of ill-defined, but then again the same could be said for Einstein's Relativity. The universe "resisting lifting something" doesn't sound that promising, though.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: November 07, 2016, 05:22:27 pm »

The 40 page article, published on Arxiv this night, is the first paper that offers an comprehensive explanation for dark matter, which has been one of the main problems in theoretical physics for decades.

can you tell me what the problem actually is

Eh, seems kind of ill-defined, but then again the same could be said for Einstein's Relativity.

not if you actually know anything about general relativity

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: November 07, 2016, 05:22:56 pm »

Interesting interpretation of gravity. I don't see the meaningful difference between gravity as a force and gravity as a pressure, though. We know that gravity works over infinite distance except being constrained by the observable universe, so the idea of this "cosmic information" is disturbingly close to invoking simulation theory.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: November 07, 2016, 05:24:11 pm »

the idea of this "cosmic information" is disturbingly close to invoking simulation theory.

i don't see how? the universe acting as if it were a simulation is not strong evidence for the universe being one

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: November 07, 2016, 05:27:17 pm »

the idea of this "cosmic information" is disturbingly close to invoking simulation theory.

i don't see how? the universe acting as if it were a simulation is not strong evidence for the universe being one
I didn't say it was evidence, but it does leave the possibility open. As opposed to a universe that acts in a way which makes simulation impossible.

I'm also more talking about the tendencies of the author. If the cosmic information concept is being fueled by the belief that the universe is a simulation, the idea becomes suspect. It's the kind of thing I'd expect a person who believes in simulation to believe.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: November 07, 2016, 05:27:25 pm »

can you tell me what the problem actually is
The basic problem is that astronomical observations of star systems point at there being more gravity / mass than you would expect based on the observed stars. Dark matter is a hypothetical explanation of which no one had a clue what it actually is or if it exists at all.
Reading a bit more into it, it seems that it's not so much a "pressure" as it is entropy itself. Entropic gravity.
yes, this, I might have worded it a bit wrongly with 'pressure'.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 339