Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490667 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4560 on: November 08, 2016, 05:25:04 pm »

As far as I can tell, residual strong nuclear force is just another name for the strong nuclear force?

Are you talking about quantum chromodynamics?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 05:26:37 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: November 08, 2016, 05:29:21 pm »

Interactions are not dimensions. Same as electricity is not distance and horses are not cardinal directions.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: November 08, 2016, 05:34:24 pm »

Not in terms of spatial dimensions, no. But like I said, it could be a misinterpretation, since I'm just starting college. Just a musing I had. I was thinking in terms of fields and things that seem to be constant to all matter. Like gravity being caused by all energy, not just mass, and thus why it's separate from the Higg's Field.

I don't pretend to think it's accurate, it was mostly a way for me to understand how the universe could exist in 11 dimensions, or 26(!?!) in terms I could comprehend.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: November 08, 2016, 05:35:19 pm »

I'm pretty sure the extra dimensions in string theory are literal spatial dimensions, though small ones.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: November 08, 2016, 05:44:14 pm »

The reason for keeping electricity together with magnetism is actually pretty clever - it's because one is another, depending on the velocity relative to the observer. It would make no sense if an actual physical phenomena was dependent on the observer, hence electromagnetism as a single thing.

Also, magnetism can be pretty accurately described as a relativistic effect of electricity.
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: November 09, 2016, 02:20:09 pm »

A team Swiss scientists of the EPFL technology institute has managed to let a monkey regain mobility after partial paralysis, using an electronic device implanted in the brain that records motoric brain activity, and sends it to the leg using wireless signals. They've already started trials with human patients.

The monkey tests were done in China, to circumvent strict EU regulations on monkey testing.

Who needs a spine when you can have wifi, right?

http://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/verlamde-aap-loopt-weer-door-hersenzender~a4412085/
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 02:22:03 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: November 09, 2016, 03:32:43 pm »

Somewhere Jill Stein just got a piercing headache and doesn't know why.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: November 13, 2016, 06:59:21 am »

I'm sure its Nuclear Energy fault.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: November 21, 2016, 05:17:18 am »

Heh, wow. Microsoft must want this guy really bad:

The Dutch quantum computer expert and professor at Delft Technical University, Leo Kouwenberg, has been hired by Microsoft. But instead of coming to work everyday, work will come to him. He will keep teaching at the Delft University, and Microsoft is going to build a quantum computer lab in our university for him to do research at.
Currently, the professor does his research in an already existing quantum lab at the university, of which he is one of the founders, and which curently sees over a hundred scientists and technicians doing fundamental research on the building blocks of quantum computers.

Damn, building a whole new lab just to employ one guy. Makes sense though, Delft University is where the breakthroughs were and are being made.

With Trump as head of state, we should be wary of industrial espionage though.. /sarcasm

EDIT: together with Kouwenberg, Microsoft also hires the Danish phycisist Charles Marcus. Marcus and Kouwenberg have been working for years, doing research mainly into so called 'topological quantumbits', which are less susceptible to discturbance than ordinary quantum bits.

Kouwenberg was the first, a few years ago, to realize superconductive nano wires, which would be very suitable for topological quantum bits. Marcus is working on something similar.

Kouwenberg says even he himself is somewhat surprised by his career step. "I started work here as a student. I never thought that what we did would ever be of use for anything at all"

EDIT: hmm. perhaps Microsoft wants to upgrade Deep Mind to a quantum network and would rather it be across the atlantic so they can nuke it when it awakens  :D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 05:27:59 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: November 21, 2016, 07:06:14 am »

That reminds me of one interesting article I read a little while back; apparently, nanotubes are a promising avenue for a single photon light source. This would be very useful for developing an optical quantum computer, which would be a nice way to do a lot of quantum calculations at relatively benign conditions, versus the current need for heavy chilling etc. with physical qubits.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: November 21, 2016, 09:47:46 am »

The New York Times wrote an article about Microsoft's plans with the scientists. They're going to try and build an actual topological quantum computer using Kouwenhoven's nanotubes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/21/technology/microsoft-spends-big-to-build-quantum-computer.html

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: November 21, 2016, 10:42:18 am »

It seems logical to me. Quantum expert works in two places simultaneously, one of them being at a distance, and it is currently unknown what the end result will be...   :P

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: November 21, 2016, 11:07:10 am »

Spooky peer review at a distance.

Anyway, its nice seeing that there's so much investment going into quantum computing. I was scared interest in it would've down a bit after D-Wave was pitted against intel machines and didn't quite perform in a way convincing enough to prove it is actualy making productive use of quantum phenomena, though it was still rather impressive in its own right.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: November 21, 2016, 12:13:37 pm »

A team Swiss scientists of the EPFL technology institute has managed to let a monkey regain mobility after partial paralysis, using an electronic device implanted in the brain that records motoric brain activity, and sends it to the leg using wireless signals. They've already started trials with human patients.

The monkey tests were done in China, to circumvent strict EU regulations on monkey testing.

Who needs a spine when you can have wifi, right?

http://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/verlamde-aap-loopt-weer-door-hersenzender~a4412085/
Wouldn't this be affected by the recent fabricated results controversy?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4574 on: December 08, 2016, 05:57:26 pm »

"There are two kinds of scientific progress: the methodical experimentation and categorization which gradually extend the boundaries of knowledge, and the revolutionary leap of genius which redefines and transcends those boundaries. Acknowledging our debt to the former, we yearn nonetheless for the latter."

I have tried to explain this so many times, unsuccessfully. Thanks, Sid!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 339