Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490832 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4950 on: April 01, 2017, 11:39:27 am »

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN1722LD

So SpaceX got more rocket back than they planned for, I think?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: April 01, 2017, 11:42:12 am »

No. They added recovery systems to the launch fairing. Those systems were experimental, but successfully salvaged half of the launch fairing.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4952 on: April 01, 2017, 01:17:18 pm »

For a second I was confused and thought you were saying they got more rocket back than they launched... in my defense, I'm on some pretty potent cough medicine right now

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: April 01, 2017, 01:47:35 pm »

For a second I was confused and thought you were saying they got more rocket back than they launched... in my defense, I'm on some pretty potent cough medicine right now
"After today's space launch, onlookers were stunned when Elon Musk announced they had recovered not one, but *two* first stages from the mission. "It was just hovering there over the ocean next to the drone ship, so it was easy enough to pick up," the eccentric billionaire was quoted as saying. Analysis of the recovered craft showed it to be made of a material unknown to science, but otherwise built to the same specifications as the first. "Just goes to show you," Musk continued, "that we are on the right track for revolutionizing the cost of spaceflight with 100% reuseability.""

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: April 01, 2017, 03:10:55 pm »

200%, more like.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: April 01, 2017, 07:49:58 pm »

It turns out that just running more detailed simulations of the equations for the standard model of cosmic evolution they were able to remove more of the simplifying assumptions, and the pre-dark energy theory actually accounts for much more of the variation than was previously claimed.

http://www.sciencealert.com/bubbles-of-expanding-space-could-be-the-end-of-dark-energy
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 07:51:43 pm by Reelya »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: April 01, 2017, 07:52:47 pm »

Huh.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4957 on: April 01, 2017, 08:33:50 pm »

Wasn't dark matter/energy just a term for "Our model predicts that there must be SOMETHING but we can't SEE it so it's gotta be DARK"?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: April 01, 2017, 08:36:31 pm »

Wasn't dark matter/energy just a term for "Our model predicts that there must be SOMETHING but we can't SEE it so it's gotta be DARK"?

Yes, if you want to make it sound stupid.

Also, the two concepts are unrelated.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4959 on: April 01, 2017, 08:58:43 pm »

It doesn't sound stupid, just a reference to an unknown/unobserved but predicted phenomenon.

Yes I realize they're unrelated, aside from the name

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: April 01, 2017, 10:01:35 pm »

Dark Matter is the opposite, it is an observed phenomenon (galactic rotation curves) which was later linked to another observation (light passing through galaxy clusters is lensed in a manner which indicates that there is far more mass present than the visible matter can account for) and then we determined that it can't just be dim ordinary matter (because we saw two clusters which passed through each other and the distribution of stars, intercluster gas, and mass is all fucked up but clearly indicates that there is a lot of shit we can't see directly there) so we're now in the phase of "what is this stuff, what properties does it have, can we shake the standard model until it falls out?" science regarding dark matter.

Also another story on that site was about giant sloths digging tunnels?

Sounds like a real pain...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: April 01, 2017, 10:14:45 pm »

There's a radio (semi-comedic, in approach, but studious in scope) quiz programme called "The 3rd Degree" that has just been re-(re-re-)repeated on BBC Radio 7Again (for I'd heard this episode multiple times before) I was annoyed when a provided answer "Dark Energy" was replied to by the questionmaster (who read English at Cambridge, where he also got his Footlights introduction) with "Correct, Dark Matter", or somesuch.

Still, I'm betting I'd do no better with ambiguous mispronunciations of something Chaucerian...

(Badger buries cow?)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 10:16:24 pm by Starver »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: April 02, 2017, 01:56:18 am »

I knew those little fucks were worse than anyone wanted to admit. Stealing your entire hamburger right out from under your nose.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 01:57:52 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: April 04, 2017, 09:02:27 am »

Technically still science: an official FEMA estimate on effects of full-scale nuclear war on USA, complete with geographical maps of nuclear explosions. Some places get, like, ultranuked, like New York or, for some reason, North Dakota.
._.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 339