Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691494 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Chinese plastic organs?]
« Reply #915 on: December 11, 2014, 05:32:43 am »

I think it depends on the vowel that follows, but I'm not sure. Generally the pronunciation of v and c is fairly random, yes.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: December 11, 2014, 05:37:01 am »

I think it depends on the vowel that follows, but I'm not sure. Generally the pronunciation of v and c is fairly random, yes.
I chose those two words specifically because they have the same vowel after [f]. Still, thanks.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: December 11, 2014, 05:40:33 am »

Oh shit, yeah, they do - then it's probably just random. But one general rule of thumb is: If it starts with '[v/f]er', you need to use v because that's a common starting syllable. Exception: Ferkel (piglet)...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: December 11, 2014, 11:16:14 am »

Oh shit, yeah, they do - then it's probably just random. But one general rule of thumb is: If it starts with '[v/f]er', you need to use v because that's a common starting syllable. Exception: Ferkel (piglet)...
Fertig, Ferne, Ferien, Ferse... There really aren't any rules to that. Best to just remember the spelling of all the words you read.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: December 11, 2014, 12:23:40 pm »

Tell me, noble niemcy, is "Nicht so viel" "not so much" or "not so many"?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: December 11, 2014, 12:57:58 pm »

The latter. The former would be "Nicht so viele."

Don't expect that to work when someone is putting food on your plate. It's seen more as a polite encouragement than as a serious protest.
The Bay12 postcard club

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: December 11, 2014, 01:00:35 pm »

Does "nicht so viele" work as an answer to a "Do you like X"-type question? Like "not so much" would in English?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: December 11, 2014, 01:03:45 pm »

That would be 'Nicht so sehr." "Nicht so viel"/"Nicht so viele" refers to objects. (Uncountable and countable ones, respectively.)
The Bay12 postcard club

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: December 11, 2014, 01:30:56 pm »

Thanks. I have one more question before I leave you alone: have you ever heard somebody pronounce kosten with a [sh]? Outside of speech impediments, I mean.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: December 11, 2014, 01:36:25 pm »

Thanks. I have one more question before I leave you alone: have you ever heard somebody pronounce kosten with a [sh]? Outside of speech impediments, I mean.
That's pretty common in South German dialects, so you'll hear it from people who have such an accent. Would be wrong in Standard High German though.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: December 11, 2014, 07:12:02 pm »

That's pretty common in South German dialects
Outside of speech impediments, I mean.
The Bay12 postcard club

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: December 12, 2014, 12:36:04 pm »

That's pretty common in South German dialects
Outside of speech impediments, I mean.
Vorsicht, sonscht koscht's dich.  :P

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: December 19, 2014, 03:23:01 pm »

Does anyone know how to contact Tawanchior outside of Bay12? He hasn't been on for a week.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #928 on: December 19, 2014, 03:28:24 pm »

Who's Tawanchior?

If you PM someone, they get an email, and I'm sure he's on Steam. He's probably writing finals at the moment, so give him a little more time and I'm sure he'll be back.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: December 19, 2014, 03:35:20 pm »

Who's Tawanchior?
I swear, his name changes every time I think I have it right. I was damn close this time too.

He's probably writing finals at the moment, so give him a little more time and I'm sure he'll be back.
Still, no five minute study break? I'm concerned.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 638