Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686985 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #2280 on: April 16, 2016, 06:03:32 am »

Wot

I have a chin because my jaw is in it. And the function of my jaw is to chew stuff. Your 'scientists' might actually be reptilians in disguise.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: April 16, 2016, 07:31:23 am »

Wot

I have a chin because my jaw is in it. And the function of my jaw is to chew stuff. Your 'scientists' might actually be reptilians in disguise.
shit

he's onto us
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: April 16, 2016, 07:54:20 am »

Wot

I have a chin because my jaw is in it.

Not completely true, the human chin extends far beyond what is needed for housing the chin and compared to other primates.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: April 16, 2016, 08:05:23 am »

Could be just one of nature's numerous fuck ups in human design.
This is my stance on every oddity in human body, or it is until I'm proven wrong.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: April 16, 2016, 08:48:47 am »

Wot

I have a chin because my jaw is in it.

Not completely true, the human chin extends far beyond what is needed for housing the chin and compared to other primates.

Doesn't that increase the jaw strength though? Perhaps humans need more jaw strength then other primates.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: April 16, 2016, 10:00:16 am »

It seems to me that the correct question is "Why is the human jaw proportionally larger than other primates' jaws?" That's probably explained by our diet, right?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: April 16, 2016, 06:59:47 pm »

It could be, or it could be comrade's take on it. Or something else entirely. The biggest mistake you can make in regards to evolutionary biology is to assume something came about for a reason, or that it came about because of the reason(s) that make(s) sense. this is also why most of the field, along with its friend evolutionary psychology, is complete and utter just-so bullshit

Though I guess the actual explanation is that our predecessors with larger jaws managed to breed more. Whether that's because of the jaws themselves or because the jaws were piggybacking on something else or because the jaws were just not meaningfully selected against and got lucky or about a half dozen other things or some combination of any and/or all of the above is something it would take a time machine and another fifty to a hundred years or more of genetics research to actually figure out with any degree of notable accuracy.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 07:03:09 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: April 16, 2016, 09:00:45 pm »

I have an overbite. :'(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: April 16, 2016, 09:45:11 pm »

perhaps sexual selection selected for larger chins?
I mean, my chin looks okay if I correct my overbite (which I do pretty much constantly).
But if I somehow get distracted my chin defaults to being pathetic. Also crooked. It makes me sad.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: April 17, 2016, 07:06:02 pm »

Is that a thing?  The fratboys always chilled or even freezered their liquor.  Of course it was cheap, absurdly harsh liquor that you don't want to taste at all.

I still put my cheap liquor in the freezer to take the initial edge off.  Probably different for those top-shelf liquors that are naturally smooth and have actual flavor you might want to taste.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2290 on: April 17, 2016, 07:38:38 pm »

Late to the party, but I've seen that perpetual motion design. Pretty much every single person who makes a design like that doesn't understand osmosis and reverse osmosis.

Reverse osmosis takes up pressure. It's not a magic filter. Any "free" energy is just the energy that was put in to filter the fluid.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: April 17, 2016, 08:47:19 pm »

every single person who makes any perpetual motion design doesn't understand some part of the systems with which they are working

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: April 17, 2016, 08:50:09 pm »

To be fair, capillary action is freakin weird.  Of course it makes sense eventually, uh
I assume

Yeah I still don't quite follow, except that the action only happens to a limited extent which keeps things in accord with the entropy's inevitable victory over all things.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: April 18, 2016, 01:21:14 am »

So, in the States, its apparently customary to keep referring to people by their former title, at least for government officials (See everyone calling Hillary "Madam Secretary"). What are the rules for which title to use? The highest one (No one refers to Hillary as "Madam Senator")? What defines the precedence if someone was, say, a Governor and a Senator?

Also, how far down does this practice go? I expect you won't see someone being called "Mister Water Commissioner" for the rest of his life he he was elected once.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: April 18, 2016, 01:57:42 am »

How much u.s politics depend on president?
If theoretical senate is mostly republican and goes lol no mr president,
how much will it affect him?
What is the function of supreme court?
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 637