Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686924 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #2550 on: August 28, 2016, 11:25:08 am »

Just buy any Xbox 360. They all play Xbox 360 games. If you have a hard drive, you'll be able to save your progress and the settings on your system. If you want to be able to save things, get one with a hard drive.

That's it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: August 28, 2016, 11:52:20 am »

Thanks, yeah I'll probably get the cheapest one with any hard drive.  I won't be saving to the cloud since I won't be hooking up internet at all, so I guess I need space to save.  And I won't need much space for save games or, uh, preloaded data?  GTA5-era stuff.  I'll just have a few relatively older games.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: August 28, 2016, 07:33:03 pm »

So the Al Azif (The original Necronomicon) was written in the 700s in Damascus by a Arab man.

Meaning likely it is written in Arabic (correction it IS written in Arabic)

Yet what form of Arabic?

Since well... Written English from the 700s would be unreadable today.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: August 28, 2016, 08:37:02 pm »

On XBox 360:
I don't think you need a hard drive to save (though we have one)... Ours came with a "memory unit" (card) instead, which holds 256 MB. It's not hooked up now so I can't check, but I think the memory card was sufficient to store all our saves on. We ended up just saving everything to both places as backup.

Of course ours is super old and apparently the newest ones don't have the slots for these so maybe it doesn't apply anymore.

Fakedit: Apparently you can just use a USB stick now? So the entire hard drive thing might be moot.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: August 28, 2016, 09:08:00 pm »

Me and my brother's slim Xbox 360 came with a "memory unit" built in which we initially used for save data. We only ever actually filled up a small portion of it, the only reason we ever had to get a hard drive at all was because games started needing to install stuff like you said. So yeah, if you only plan on playing a small number of old games that'd definitely be more than enough, although I don't know if the original 360 has it or not.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: August 29, 2016, 04:08:10 am »

So the Al Azif (The original Necronomicon) was written in the 700s in Damascus by a Arab man.

Meaning likely it is written in Arabic (correction it IS written in Arabic)

Yet what form of Arabic?

Since well... Written English from the 700s would be unreadable today.
I suspect it would be Classical Arabic, the language of the Quran. It is mostly intelligible to Modern Standard Arabic speakers, I believe. Can't vouch for it, though. Plus, as with Church Slavonic, Ecclesiastical Latin, and other liturgical languages, it was always extensively studied by religious scholars and the like, so it would not really be much of a problem to learn it or find somebody who can read it. Compared to all your other problems if you somehow came by an edition of the Necronomicon, I mean,
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 04:12:52 am by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: August 29, 2016, 05:13:10 am »

Ok here is one...

Hypothetically lets say someone is suffering from severe dehydration! Not ordinary dehydration mind you...

The kind so bad that you can't even give someone water because either it won't help... or it might kill them.

Now usually you treat this at the hospital with an IV.

Is there a way to treat this without an IV?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: August 29, 2016, 05:38:02 am »

It depends on the cause I guess, but dehydratation is often a result of lack of salt rather than pure lack of water (eg, in case of dysentry). Oral Rehydratation Solution is very, very good a rehydrating people without causing osmotic shock, one of the most important advance in medical science ever. It's basically a liter of water with a fistful of sugar and a spoonful of salt (sugar help the intestine absord salt).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: August 29, 2016, 01:49:14 pm »

You could try approximating an IV by administrating the stuff rectally. Lots of big blood vessels in the big intestine, y'know.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: August 29, 2016, 01:52:01 pm »

If you're at a stage where being given water is pointless or detrimental I don't think anything could replace intravenous saline.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: August 30, 2016, 05:30:43 am »

Ok here is a poison in a show I am trying to decipher what it is... IF it exists

It is a slow acting poison that must be administered daily AND is tasteless.

They do show it as a white powder (but, as with some things they could have mixed it in with a powder)

The Symptoms seem to be wasting (Losing weight, loss of energy, coughing)... And it seems to cause you to cough up blood.

Is this a real poison or a drama poison?

---

My current research highly suggests it is just a made up poison.

And it took the show long enough to reveal EXACTLY what the poison was... It is just beetle venom... from some unknown beetle... mixed in a powder.

Apparently it kills you by making you cough blood to death...

Sounds made up... but you can never be too sure... But honestly I think made up. Even if there WAS a beetle with this venom... that is insane to try to extract.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:37:27 am by Neonivek »

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: August 30, 2016, 05:40:22 am »

In a somewhat vague sense, this is consistent with arsenic poisoning. I guess if you adminstered arsenic in the form of As2O3 daily, it could progress to the phase where you're throwing up blood gradually, since arsenic builds up in the body, IIRC. You'd have to forgo the bloody diarrhea, though.

E: shit, ninja'd. Oh well.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:42:04 am by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: August 30, 2016, 05:42:39 am »

In a somewhat vague sense, this is consistent with arsenic poisoning. I guess if you adminstered arsenic in the form of As2O3 daily, it could progress to the phase where you're throwing up blood gradually, since arsenic builds up in the body, IIRC. You'd have to forgo the bloody diarrhea, though.

So basically they stumbled upon a source of Arsenic... and left out the whole Bloody diarrhea part (which... given the subject matter... yeah)

And to admit the beetle part could have just been her hypothesizing what the poison could be... (for some reason... Silver needles detect poisons... But wouldn't that only be limited to certain types?)

Edit: Never freeken mind... it isn't Arsenic. As a Silver Needle that they used to try to detect it... is one of the few ways to detect arsenic.

Yeah this HAS to be a fake poison. It is basically Arsenic in everyway except it isn't.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:47:36 am by Neonivek »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: August 30, 2016, 07:20:51 am »

Yeah this HAS to be a fake poison. It is basically Arsenic in everyway except it isn't.

It's probably plotonium gizmoxide.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: August 30, 2016, 11:28:33 am »

If it had those effects it would have to be some venom that ONLY causes haemorrhaging in the lungs (probably affecting the lung's mucous membrane). As far as I'm aware, toxins don't tend to be that specific. The liver's easy to take out because toxins all wind up there because it's basically your body's toxin filter. Lungs... not so much.

That plus the wasting makes it seem like what Magma suggested.
Stomach lining damage would also cause you to throw up blood (though not cough it up).
One of the things that might cause strictly lung haemorrhaging and not much else is an aerosolized mechanical agent, like silicate dust or whatever. Or perhaps some chemical aerosols. But this specifies that the poison is ingested, right?
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 637