Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691598 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3105 on: December 14, 2016, 11:11:48 pm »

How do I stop Cortana running on startup?

I noticed that Cortana is a separate program (so I'm able to close the process (and keep the search bar)), but in spite of my searching, I've yet to find any way to stop Cortana being turned on at startup. I recall while I was trying to get my computer to update I came across something that allowed you to prevent even Microsoft programs running on startup, but I can't recall how to do it and I can't find the webpage that told me how.

EDIT: Can someone also point me to a free antivirus? I tried Avira but it seems they've decided to add some other programs to it, rather than just the antivirus (such as a VPN... thing and a thing that supposedly improves system speed (personal experience says otherwise with these things))

You can go into the settings or control panels and turn off cortana. I would not recommend trying to do it manually. (When cortana dies on me, disappearing from the list of processes, I can no longer search the start menu by typing stuff)

Not any more you can't. They changed that in an update, it's always-on now. The best you can do is disabling all the info-gathering, services, and functions, but the process will still run, still eat up resources, and probably still spy on you. Even the regedit that I used before doesn't work now, apparently. If you're not using the Home version I think you can still make her fuck off with group settings but that's about it.

Wow, that's shitty.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: December 15, 2016, 12:47:41 am »

More proof win7 best win.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: December 18, 2016, 12:21:52 pm »

Archery question today!

Why aren't Target Arrows the ideal arrows in general?

My guesses
-Target arrows are too light and thus their ability to penetrate a target wearing any sort of protection is limited
-Target arrows aren't great at hitting things indirectly
-Target Arrows have a limited range because once they drop they lose all their penetration ability
-Target arrows damage to a person isn't as substantial as arrowheads and broadheads.
-Target arrows are ideal and I am a freeken idiot

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: December 18, 2016, 12:41:06 pm »

That's interesting.  Looks like target arrows are pretty similar to "bodkin point" or "field" arrows, except much blunter.  They look dangerous because they're shaped kinda like bullets, but a bullet doesn't need to be sharp.  Arrowheads do.

The classic "arrowhead" shaped head is a broadhead, basically a sharp blade.  Bodkin arrows were much better at penetrating armor (and kinda look simpler), but broadheads caused much more uh, physical trauma.  So very much like hollowpoint versus full metal jacket rounds...  A broadhead could as much damage coming out than going in, if you aren't careful.

But yeah target arrows are kinda blunt, making them strictly inferior to bodkin points as far as I can tell.  There are even blunter arrows but they're weird.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3109 on: December 18, 2016, 12:45:37 pm »

Target arrows are lighter, making them fly flatter and easier to cluster on a target, but less able to cause damage. That's the main difference. The heaviest target arrows are around the same weight as the lightest hunting/combat arrows.

Tipping is a different story, but it amounts to put a bodkin on if you want to go through things, put a barbed broadhead on if you want to lacerate things. Target arrows have a bluntish bodkin because you don't want them to go through the target. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: December 18, 2016, 12:50:30 pm »

Well another aspect to the broadhead is that it has a lot of rain power. At least I think that it was the Broadhead.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3111 on: December 18, 2016, 12:54:39 pm »

You mean, when falling? That's a function of the grain of the arrow, not the shape of the head per se. Bodkins happen to be better at piercing helmets and skulls, though, which is probably what you're thinking of. Broadheads are, IIRC, scarier at shorter ranges and flatter arcs because at lower distances they can also punch through some level of protection but cause far more trauma. Bodkin wounds are pretty clean, as far as a puncture wound can be clean. Broadheads combine the worst characteristics of cuts and punctures.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: December 18, 2016, 01:02:40 pm »

Thanks for providing an actual answer!  Everything I said just came from a few minutes on Wikipedia :P  Force of habit, my friends and I do mutual wiki-surfs sometimes.

I almost suggested that a bodkin arrow could be removed mid-battle, but then thought...  Probably a great way to lose a lot of blood...  But might be relatively okay to leave in and continue fighting, as opposed to trying to do stuff with a broadhead under your skin.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3113 on: December 18, 2016, 01:22:03 pm »

Apart from the debilitating pain (which is an enormous caveat), you probably could snap off the shaft and keep fighting with a bodkin in you somewhere non critical (perhaps your off-hand forearm? 'Non critical areas' are something of a myth). That kind of puncture wound self-seals very nicely, which is why you should never remove an impaling object. Broadheads, on the other hand, will probably leave a bleeding entry wound because the blade is wider than the shaft and it actually slices the flesh rather than just moving it out of the way. Ripping a broadhead out is a good way to kill yourself, too. Much like fish hooks, they're best removed out the other side.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: December 19, 2016, 12:48:26 pm »

Ok a common trope is a police officer having a ticket quota to meet and because he is short he gives you a ticket you probably didn't deserve.

This is so widely believed that everyone believes this is true.

YET one person has told me that it is in fact completely fictitious... and that makes sense because ticket quotas create FAR more problems then they would fix.

So... How true is it? To admit the person was just referring to New York, that... New York in particular doesn't have ticket quotas.

and yet... Ticket Quotas seem like a terrible idea to me, no one likes them... so why are they so widely believed in unless they are true?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: December 19, 2016, 03:05:57 pm »

Because they do? http://www.npr.org/2015/04/04/395061810/despite-laws-and-lawsuits-quota-based-policing-lingers

That article explicitly says they don't... But rather that because a cop's performance is measured by their tickets and arrests, it creates a hypothetical quota.

So no police chief ever says "You need to write 20 tickets" (that part is the myth) but if in a month a officer says they only wrote 5 tickets because it was a slow day... Their performance review will suffer.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: December 19, 2016, 05:06:30 pm »

Does it count as sleep paralysis when you die in a dream, and are then just trapped there, in some grey void, unable to wake up, with an uncomfortable feeling of being unable to move your physical body no matter how hard you try and beginning to panic that you may actually be dead or stuck there forever?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: December 19, 2016, 05:11:04 pm »

No, that's just a really nasty nightmare. Sleep paralysis is where you wake up or are halfway asleep but you can't move, sometimes accompanied by freaky hallucinations of stuff like goblins sitting on you.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: December 19, 2016, 05:15:44 pm »

Well, I was kind of halfway asleep... it was like the dream had ended but Real Life hung on the loading screen.
Certainly can't recall ever having a nightmare like that before... plenty where I've died etc., but never one where I've been stuck afterwards.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 638