Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686896 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3180 on: December 31, 2016, 10:29:12 am »

He invented eggs benedict, probably.  ::)

/s
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: December 31, 2016, 09:02:15 pm »

Ok I have to ask

Do people really have Judas as a name?

I mean don't get me wrong, contemporary interpretations imply that Judas isn't really a villain. Yet I wouldn't think people would be naming their kids that.
Essentially no one names their child Judas.

It may well be thanks to the reaction to the Holocaust, as pastors tend to not invoke his name on the pulpit.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: January 02, 2017, 05:30:14 am »

What's a good, profanity-free alternative to the word "mindfuck"?
I'm sure there has to be one somewhere that I have just tragically forgotten. Or is this slang term actually filling an important void in the English language? One similar phrase I've seen is "head trip," but sources conflict as to just what that really means.

I don't usually worry about cursing, but I was shocked to realise that I don't know of any synonyms for it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: January 02, 2017, 05:32:43 am »

What is the intended meaning?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: January 02, 2017, 05:36:57 am »

An unexpected, mind-blowing kind of experience/moment. Not sure how best to describe it.
The familiar and the strange colliding with each other at great speed, causing recurrent confusion and/or amazement to the viewer whenever they think about it? That sounds almost clever, I'll go with that.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: January 02, 2017, 10:22:32 am »

That kinda sounds like "cognitive dissonance", though that's a mouthful.  There's also "A total trip, maaaan"
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: January 02, 2017, 05:13:02 pm »

"Whoa." As said by Keanu Reeves.

@Yoink
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: January 03, 2017, 05:00:32 pm »

Can someone tell me what song it is? It's pretty cool.

It's "Paint It Black". Sorry for wasting your time.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 05:07:51 pm by CrocAndBearLover »
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: January 03, 2017, 05:08:18 pm »

You've never heard "Paint It Black?" It's very recognizable. Didn't even have to wait for the singing.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: January 03, 2017, 05:12:08 pm »

You've never heard "Paint It Black?" It's very recognizable. Didn't even have to wait for the singing.

I feel ashamed. Yes, I've heard it a lot of times, I just kinda didn't listen to lyrics well enough.

And damn, that song is good.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: January 03, 2017, 05:14:01 pm »

I was very tempted to answer "Darude - Sandstorm."  :P

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: January 03, 2017, 05:17:43 pm »

That meme is as dumb as Harambe. Some gorilla dies and suddenly everybody screams "Sausages are out for Harambe!".

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: January 03, 2017, 05:23:03 pm »

That meme is as dumb as Harambe. Some gorilla dies and suddenly everybody screams "Sausages are out for Harambe!".

This is what happens when memes go mainstream.

Anyway, in the USA there are a lot of names that are stereotypically associated with old people, like Esther, Maurice, Rose, Doris, Elmer, Pearl, Carol, or Jasper. What are some "old people names" in other countries?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: January 03, 2017, 07:21:22 pm »

This is what happens when memes go mainstream.

Anyway, in the USA there are a lot of names that are stereotypically associated with old people, like Esther, Maurice, Rose, Doris, Elmer, Pearl, Carol, or Jasper. What are some "old people names" in other countries?
I dunno if this counts as "old people names", but in Russia, there's a stratum of rare names that are associated with the Old Believers, and consequently, also some of the indigenous peoples of Siberia, like Yakuts. They were popular before the schism, and the Old Believers who fled to Siberia sort of retained them. Some of those names, off the top of my head, are Savva, Nikifor, Avakoum, Elizar, Faddei and Mina for men and Praskovia, Khavronia and Pelageia for women. There also some names that I only remember old guys ever having, like Potap.

On a different note, there are also the revolutionary names, which were mildly popular at one point in the early XX century, but then kinda fell out of use, so most of their living bearers are old-ass people now. Some that I remember are Rem ("Revolution. Electrification. Marxism"), Vladlen ("Vladimir Lenin") and Kim ("Youth Communist International"). Those are like ultra rare, though.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: January 04, 2017, 04:07:31 am »

What's a good, profanity-free alternative to the word "mindfuck"?
I'm sure there has to be one somewhere that I have just tragically forgotten. Or is this slang term actually filling an important void in the English language? One similar phrase I've seen is "head trip," but sources conflict as to just what that really means.

I don't usually worry about cursing, but I was shocked to realise that I don't know of any synonyms for it.
Mindscrew!
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 637