Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686945 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3255 on: January 15, 2017, 09:13:39 pm »

Does anyone else find it odd that the US education system so often teaches a story about a drunk getting sealed into a wall for petty revenge?

Why is it important that we all know Montresor's fable?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: January 15, 2017, 09:18:11 pm »

"Yes," I replied. "For the love of God."

It's a famous piece of classic English literature and that's what gets taught when you run through the really good American lit, is the short answer. But it is also a genuinely great story, it's certainly the story that I remember most clearly from those days. It's short, it's senseless, and it's thrilling. What more could you ask for?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: January 15, 2017, 09:41:31 pm »

I keep resisting posting this bit of Montressor/Space Station 13 fan "art".  But tonight, well.
Spoiler: I regret nothing. (click to show/hide)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: January 15, 2017, 10:54:12 pm »

Does anyone else find it odd that the US education system so often teaches a story about a drunk getting sealed into a wall for petty revenge?

Why is it important that we all know Montresor's fable?

I have literally never heard of this story, and I was in public schools in 4 different states.  Is it a regional thing?
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: January 15, 2017, 11:02:32 pm »

It's Edgar Allen Poe!!  I mean, he's Virginian, but that's literally borderline.
He's like "intro to Cthulhu".  Madness inoculation.  Did you at least get The Raven?  Nevermore, and all that?
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: January 15, 2017, 11:17:58 pm »

I still think it's a crime that none of the Mythos authors get taught in schools, at least no schools that I've ever seen. That'd serve people better than struggling through the impenetrable prose of The Scarlet Letter.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: January 15, 2017, 11:41:07 pm »

I liked the Scarlet Letter, but I only remember the twist.  You're probably right that it took more time than necessary.

Really though...  I always assumed everyone read the Raven (and maybe they did).  But I thought they all got the Cask of Amontillado, too.  And hopefully, The Telltale Heart.
It's a lot like the Cask of Amontillado, in that both are about

They're short stories.  VERY short.  If you read nothing else, please read The Cask of Amontillado
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~hyper/poe/cask.html

The Telltale Heart is also really good:  http://xroads.virginia.edu/~hyper/poe/telltale.html

Seriously, this is mythos 101.  Intro to madness.  Know your fundamentals.
She/they

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: January 16, 2017, 03:03:30 am »

I still think it's a crime that none of the Mythos authors get taught in schools, at least no schools that I've ever seen. That'd serve people better than struggling through the impenetrable prose of The Scarlet Letter.
I would have probably paid more attention if we'd covered the Colour out of Space in school.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3263 on: January 16, 2017, 11:39:09 am »

Assuming you were wearing an RPG warhead prominently on your back, and you decided to put some kind of camouflaged bags over the individual warheads, how badly would that affect the rocket's flight if you needed to fire in an emergency where you had no time to remove it (also assuming you've already removed the safety caps)?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: January 16, 2017, 11:48:13 am »

Assuming you were wearing an RPG warhead prominently on your back, and you decided to put some kind of camouflaged bags over the individual warheads, how badly would that affect the rocket's flight if you needed to fire in an emergency where you had no time to remove it (also assuming you've already removed the safety caps)?

Why don't you spray-paint the warhead in camo colours?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3265 on: January 16, 2017, 11:49:59 am »

Terribly, I would expect. Your general drag coefficient is going to be shot to all hell, but more importantly the bag is going to whip around and destroy any semblance of accuracy. I wouldn't give you any kind of reasonable odds of hitting anything far enough away that you'd want to.

Could be wrong, of course!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3266 on: January 16, 2017, 12:12:18 pm »

Why don't you spray-paint the warhead in camo colours?
We don't have any paint?

Terribly, I would expect. Your general drag coefficient is going to be shot to all hell, but more importantly the bag is going to whip around and destroy any semblance of accuracy. I wouldn't give you any kind of reasonable odds of hitting anything far enough away that you'd want to.

Could be wrong, of course!
Take the bags off first. Got it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: January 16, 2017, 12:17:38 pm »

Maybe you could use paper bags that would shred on firing... But I don't see solid fabric bag that flap behind the rockets being safe.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3268 on: January 16, 2017, 01:06:10 pm »

Paper bags could work. If we used cloth bags they'd have to at least be short enough to not cover the popup fins. Really, in a combat situation you wouldn't fire the RPGs without taking the bags off first, since they have safety caps to keep them from accidentally detonating, and you can't take those off without removing bags first. Unless you're okay with the risk of not having the caps on while you're in combat. Not to mention you usually have lots of advance warning of armor, since they have loud engines and big guns, so there's normally plenty of time to do simple prep work.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: January 18, 2017, 06:43:04 pm »

This might be a bit big for this thread, but I'm having some trouble finding the rest of a series of 12 handscrolls titled "The Qianlong Emperor's Southern Inspection Tour." The Met in New York has scrolls 4 and 6 and that's easy to find, but though it mentions that all of them are intact and accounted for those and scroll 7 are the only ones I can actually find pictures of. Are they collected together someplace that I'm just not seeing?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 637