Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686986 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3285 on: January 21, 2017, 01:46:09 am »

Predisposition isn't inherent nature, it's predisposition. The conflation of the two is false.

And fetal alcohol exposure would also be considered a form of learned dependency, not true predisposition.
... this, pretty much. Predisposition'll increase the likelihood it can happen, but it doesn't somehow make you magically an alcoholic. You gotta' (have) be(en) drinkin' to want the drink, to put it crudely and probably somewhat inaccurately. No dependency without exposure, etc., etc.

If y've reached the point described, you're not in some sort of prescient pre-alcoholism state, you're an alcoholic that's probably experiencing a bit of denial. Seeking appropriate help (i.e. not the AA, yes) is what you most likely should be doing. If you can't manage that, at the absolute least make sure you never drink alone and have friends/family/etc. (preferably at least one sober, most preferably a majority or all of those otherwise involved, so their drinking doesn't encourage you) keeping an eye on you and having a point at which to cut you off. That'll at least decrease the likelihood of something permanent happening before you can get yourself in order and get help/start weaning yourself off/down/etc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: January 21, 2017, 04:27:41 am »

The thing is... that... Ive probably been drunk like... maybe 5 times in all my life... if that.

I am not quite AA levels.

But I KNOW that I can easily cross that freeken line. I need to learn something to help me stay away from that edge... before I really AM at the AA levels.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 04:31:26 am by Neonivek »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3287 on: January 21, 2017, 11:22:33 am »

You need to figure out what you get out of drinking, and then find a way to get that somewhere else, from a healthier and more positive place.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: January 22, 2017, 07:13:04 am »

Ok here is a question that is nearly impossible to answer...

But if we exclude "Social games" and the like.

What is the gender split for videogames between men and women?

My sources SUGGEST that the difference is quite significant if you do... But given the extent, I don't know if I'd believe that... I mean there is only a 20% difference in one study that did exclude it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 07:18:43 am by Neonivek »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: January 22, 2017, 08:03:36 am »

Ok here is a question that is nearly impossible to answer...

But if we exclude "Social games" and the like.

What is the gender split for videogames between men and women?

My sources SUGGEST that the difference is quite significant if you do... But given the extent, I don't know if I'd believe that... I mean there is only a 20% difference in one study that did exclude it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_and_video_games#Genre_preferences
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: January 22, 2017, 08:08:23 am »

Aww... those statistics are sad.

I know that one trend is that women aren't huge fans of incredibly violent games as a whole (at least the ones where blood is involved)... So some of these make sense

But such little Racing Game enjoyment? The majority are completely gender neutral.

This gender divide is... a loooooooot larger then I thought it would be.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: January 22, 2017, 09:38:01 am »

Racing games themselves might kinda' gender neutral (though tbh, most of the ones I've seen really aren't, particularly as they lean closer to realistic; racing queens, etc., etc.), but racing itself is... less so. Quick poke around looking for demographics suggests there's about a 2:1 disparity between male and female racing fans, which'd mean a substantial gap in the gaming demographics isn't exactly surprising. There's also a pretty noticeable gender split in regards to other aspects of vehicle paraphernalia, near as I've noticed. Which would also contribute to explaining the gaming gap.

Also might be a motion sickness vector involved there, but it's too early in the day and I'm not nearly invested enough to actually put in the effort to figure out what current research is saying on that subject, so eh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: January 22, 2017, 12:17:11 pm »

How much did mithraism influence christianity?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: January 22, 2017, 11:00:06 pm »

How much did mithraism influence christianity?

No one honestly knows... because the current theories range from

"Mithraism is an overblown religion that is commonly depicted as Christianity's rival... but even in its hayday it wasn't well practiced"
and
"Mithraism was a worthy rival that was threatening to take over the world!"

However a lot of them say Mithraism was more influenced by Christianity then the other way around.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: January 23, 2017, 04:55:06 pm »

Does anybody remember Age of Ultron? Remember Iron Man's repeating punch-fist thing that was essentially a piston attached to his hand?

If that device could exist and you could wield one without destroying your arm, how would it work?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: January 24, 2017, 01:24:29 pm »

Is there a way to Google things from your computer without Google knowing anything about you or your habits?  This recent election has made me curious as to what happens if you Google as nobody.  What do you get if the results aren't tailored at all?

Does anybody remember Age of Ultron? Remember Iron Man's repeating punch-fist thing that was essentially a piston attached to his hand?

If that device could exist and you could wield one without destroying your arm, how would it work?
Wikipedia has a great picture for this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It could work via a wheel (or engine or whatever you want to call it, spinny thing) likely positioned in the forearm of the suit.  Moving very very quickly.  If you wanted to hold one in your hand, you'd likely be holding the engine bit and the piston bit would be extending out like a... spear I guess?

I know you already know but I'd like to talk about it since its funny.  The reason the equal reaction of throwing a punch doesn't "punch" you back is because your fist accelerating is spread out over a second or so.  Tony Stark's piston arm is also not instantaneous.  But it seems quite powerful, and to punch at a rate of ~5 times per second, with equal speed both retracting and extending.  I don't know what percentage of the punch would be "punching back" at Tony's arm, but for every time he hit Hulk he'd be hitting himself twice with a lesser amount of force.  Tony's arm is fucked.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3296 on: January 24, 2017, 01:28:41 pm »

Is there a way to Google things from your computer without Google knowing anything about you or your habits?  This recent election has made me curious as to what happens if you Google as nobody.  What do you get if the results aren't tailored at all?

Startpage. It's a search engine that operates by taking your query, stripping the metadata, and feeding it to Google.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: January 24, 2017, 01:39:01 pm »

Excellent
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: January 25, 2017, 04:08:25 am »

Are there actually people in Canada who have French as a first language, speaking/writing it noticeably better than English?   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: January 25, 2017, 04:56:03 am »

Are there actually people in Canada who have French as a first language, speaking/writing it noticeably better than English?   

Yeah, the people from Qebec, why? Although ofc, they all speak pretty good English after school. Also they got an hilarious accent in French.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 637