Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691167 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #4050 on: October 08, 2017, 11:58:16 am »

I am deducing shotgun rifles don't count?
No. This is part of my collecting evidence that police have adopted intermediate-calibre, (semi)automatic rifles since the 90s. Kind of interested in what you define as a "shotgun rifle" though?

On my quest to try and explain this to me srlf-explanatory definition I realised that you probably define rifle by the rifling of a barrel, and not like I do, which is by being bigger than a pistol and preferably used with two arms. Am I right?
Love, scriver~

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4051 on: October 08, 2017, 05:12:04 pm »

I am deducing shotgun rifles don't count?
No. This is part of my collecting evidence that police have adopted intermediate-calibre, (semi)automatic rifles since the 90s. Kind of interested in what you define as a "shotgun rifle" though?

On my quest to try and explain this to me self-explanatory definition I realised that you probably define rifle by the rifling of a barrel, and not like I do, which is by being bigger than a pistol and preferably used with two arms. Am I right?
I can see where you're coming from. Definitions always have to be taken in context. Shotguns can be similar to rifles since they're also fired from the shoulder and can have fully or partly rifled barrels or chokes. The distinction is that they fire shot or slugs, the latter of which are like rifle rounds but usually more massive.

To get even more specific, the types of rifles I'm looking at have a high capacity (20-30 rounds) compared to the shotguns and pistols police have, and semi-automatic fire capability which typically non special role (HRT/SRT/SWAT) police shotguns don't have. Very different from the typical shotgun you would find in the hands of police. This isn't about whether the gun has rifling or not, but the type and purpose of the rounds being fired as well as the capacity and rate of fire of the weapon, which here is the key distinction between rifle and shotgun.

E: Okay done editing up that response.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 05:15:14 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: October 08, 2017, 11:52:31 pm »

What does it mean when someone includes a 'gender symbol' (I'm sure there's a more correct term that I am unaware of) after a social media post?
Is it a pre-emptive strike on people potentially assuming their gender, a declaration of their feminist tendencies, or what?
Been seeing it more and more lately, feels like I missed something.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: October 10, 2017, 03:39:03 pm »

Has there ever been a medical trial that aimed to treat chronic pain by just... severing the nerves?  Like those people who can put their hand on a burning pan and not feel anything.  Inducing one medical problem to alleviate another essentially.

(to be clear: I have no chronic pain that would ever justify that, its just a stoner thought that I had and I'm curious if any professionals had it too)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: October 10, 2017, 04:55:45 pm »

What does it mean when someone includes a 'gender symbol' (I'm sure there's a more correct term that I am unaware of) after a social media post?
Is it a pre-emptive strike on people potentially assuming their gender, a declaration of their feminist tendencies, or what?
Been seeing it more and more lately, feels like I missed something.

Is it both symbols or just the female one?

Has there ever been a medical trial that aimed to treat chronic pain by just... severing the nerves?  Like those people who can put their hand on a burning pan and not feel anything.  Inducing one medical problem to alleviate another essentially.

(to be clear: I have no chronic pain that would ever justify that, its just a stoner thought that I had and I'm curious if any professionals had it too)

google "pain reduction cutting nerve"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1239010/Surgeons-zapped-nerves-cure-chronic-pain.html
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Nerve-Burning-Pain-Relief-281806651.html

It looks like here, the doctor is injecting a small area of nerve with anaesthetic, and if that works to eliminate the pain then they zap that area of the nerve with an electric shock to burn it out. That could be effective and it's better than just cutting the whole nerve. So yeah, it's a thing and they're doing it to real people.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 05:01:42 pm by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: October 10, 2017, 05:07:36 pm »

Wow, that's pretty cool. Nice job coming up with the idea independently, EH.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: October 10, 2017, 05:13:03 pm »

Is it both symbols or just the female one?
Um, I think it's usually either just the male or female symbol (more often the latter), sometimes repeated, but I'm pretty sure I've seen them both used on the same post at least once, too.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: October 10, 2017, 09:17:22 pm »

Been meaning to ask this one for a while: when we describe someone with experience in something as "seasoned", do we mean they've been metaphorically salted and peppered with expertise or metaphorically left outside for several months?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: October 10, 2017, 09:30:43 pm »

Probably the latter, no? I always thought that it came from soldiers or sailors.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: October 10, 2017, 10:25:22 pm »

"Seasoned" is in the same vein of the somewhat outdated use of the season names as verbs. This is most often used as "wintered", to describe someone who "wintered over" by staying in a place inaccessible during the winter. There's also "summered" which is appropriately for vacations (mostly by rich assholes).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: October 11, 2017, 03:09:00 am »

I think "seasoned" is more in the vein of "yeared", as in "one who has seen many seasons". So "a seasoned chef" would not be a cook who has accidentally prepared himself for the roast but a person who has been a cook for many years and experienced the ups and downs of the restaurant business.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: October 11, 2017, 04:27:27 am »

Might be both? A seasoned sailor would have been pretty salty too :p.

More seriously, I always assumed it was a reference to how wood would need to be seasoned for a while after cutting before being usable.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: October 11, 2017, 04:41:29 am »

More seriously, I always assumed it was a reference to how wood would need to be seasoned for a while after cutting before being usable.

^ This is actually circular logic. Why do you think it was called "seasoned wood" in the first place?

The term seasoned wood comes from the same root concept, that of weathering the seasons.

The term "seasoning" as used in cooking apparently comes from a French term meaning "ripen" in the sense that the flavor improves with ripening, and that's a related meaning to the time of year: things that ripened have seasoned / are in season.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:49:03 am by Reelya »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: October 11, 2017, 05:07:17 am »

Apparently seasoned was also used to refers to slave and colonists who had survived a few seasons of tropical disease upon arriving in the americas.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: October 11, 2017, 05:16:36 am »

I think that would go under what I said. A "seasoned colonist/slave" somebody who has been a colonist/slave for several seasons/years and experienced the New World.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 638