Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691216 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7065 on: March 14, 2021, 02:40:59 am »

Probably get better return by just putting it back into the power grid~
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7066 on: March 14, 2021, 07:51:05 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:59:37 pm by dragdeler »
let

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7067 on: March 14, 2021, 01:04:05 pm »

I mean, a large part of our economy runs on treating the household work of women at a $0 material value. Get wife = print money.
yes because no husbands ever buy things for their wives such as but not limited to food, houses, clothing, jewelry, gifts...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7068 on: March 14, 2021, 02:27:07 pm »

I mean, a large part of our economy runs on treating the household work of women at a $0 material value. Get wife = print money.
yes because no husbands ever buy things for their wives such as but not limited to food, houses, clothing, jewelry, gifts...

The husband works -> a portion of his labor goes to paying for things for the wife. The wife works the same hours in the home -> she receives a subset of the assets that someone else controls.

Look, this is straightforward capitalism 101. I'm not saying that Men Are Bad or something. I'm saying though that 1. goods and services are being produced and 2. it's not through a regulated labor market.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7069 on: March 14, 2021, 02:30:41 pm »

The wife works the same hours in the home -> she receives a subset of the assets that someone else controls.
That's the normal situation for all labourers, though. If you work for a certain number of hours for a company, you will receive a subset of the assets that company controls. I'm not sure how this is supposed to be specific to women.

it's not through a regulated labor market.
Certainly it isn't regulated. If you think that's the problem, then we just have a fundamental philosophical difference.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7070 on: March 15, 2021, 10:49:20 am »

It does apply to stay-at-home domestic partners of all genders, sure.  There's still a strong cultural expectation for women to fill that role, and a stigma against men doing so, though that's less true than a generation ago.  Depends a lot on where you live and how "traditional" one's family is.

Laborers (who aren't chattel) have contractually-obligated rights and compensation.  Domestic partners *might* have pre-nups, with all the stigma that entails.  They also get the general marriage laws (woo, divorce lawyers) and the arbitrary decisions of some judge.  Those judgements often favor women because those women traditionally own very little of their own, being dependent on their husband's wealth.  So we get a great system where women are at the court's mercy, and the court acts with an apparent and often actual anti-man bias.  And anyone who doesn't fit into that traditional arrangement is similarly at the mercy of some judge and expensive divorce lawyers.

That's a direct consequence of the lack of regulation...  Some basic contractual rights for domestic partners would help a lot.  The reason we don't have that is the original point:  We don't properly value domestic work.  It's widely dismissed and mocked as "women's work" (or undocumented immigrant work).  We ought to value homemaking like any other job.

Edit:  At the least we could stop vilifying women who ask for pre-nups as "gold diggers" etc.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 10:52:31 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7071 on: March 15, 2021, 03:41:32 pm »

Edit:  At the least we could stop vilifying women who ask for pre-nups as "gold diggers" etc.
I'm confused about this statement: in my experience, it's women who don't sign pre-nups who are considered gold-diggers, because pre-nups are generally presumed to include provisions that, in the event of divorce, both parties keep their own property instead of splitting it 50-50. The gold-digger stereotype is of a woman who marries a rich man so she can get half his stuff in the divorce.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7072 on: March 15, 2021, 03:49:38 pm »

smh the modern gold digger not even waiting for the rich guy to die, no patience in the modern world.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7073 on: March 15, 2021, 04:00:46 pm »

A couple of generations ago, my step-grandmother, who had property and married my grandfather, a minister (=no money), signed a pre-nup and was considered to have something deeply wrong with her because she wasn't willing to risk losing her land to her husband in case of divorce.

There is of course a problem in the case where a wife is expected to exit the labor market to care for children and then also expected to receive no assets in case of divorce.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7074 on: March 15, 2021, 04:03:13 pm »

A couple of generations ago, my step-grandmother, who had property and married my grandfather, a minister (=no money), signed a pre-nup and was considered to have something deeply wrong with her because she wasn't willing to risk losing her land to her husband in case of divorce.
Weird, where's this? In my culture women owning land has been normal for at least multiple centuries.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7075 on: March 15, 2021, 04:27:06 pm »

Weird, where's this? In my culture women owning land has been normal for at least multiple centuries.

I’m gonna call bullshit on that. A few centuries ago, owning land was a privilege only the aristocracy got. Some of those aristocrats were women, but it was not “normal” for either gender to have any. What was normal was living on someone else’s land as a labourer of some sort.

I don’t know how much of a functional difference that made, I’m not that versed in the details of medieval serfdom, but I’m not gonna let you make a broad statement like that without you at least clarifying the period you’re talking about.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7076 on: March 15, 2021, 04:32:38 pm »

In the United States? I mean, recall that women were not allowed to open bank accounts in their own name until like ... 50 years ago, so it should maybe not be surprising that people felt any property a woman came with instantly belonged to her husband (note: this is what happened in England for a bit). She inherited from a male relative after spending most of her life working for him on that property.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7077 on: March 15, 2021, 04:40:12 pm »

I’m gonna call bullshit on that. A few centuries ago, owning land was a privilege only the aristocracy got. Some of those aristocrats were women, but it was not “normal” for either gender to have any. What was normal was living on someone else’s land as a labourer of some sort.
...in some parts of Europe...

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7078 on: March 16, 2021, 08:02:32 am »

So my Firefox install shat itself, taking with it most of its own files, and I had to reinstall it over what was left of it. Thankfully, I still have all my history and extensions, so I'll chalk that up to a freak accident. That, or it was Open Shell or WSL that nuked it; I wouldn't be able to tell.

What's a good lightweight (fast to launch, fast to browse, ideally small) browser that I can use in case it happens again? I had to use Edge (ugh), but was so bloated that it took actual seconds to get ready. I was in full speedrun mode, typing in "firefox.com" (which does indeed point you to Firefox's download page) to avoid Microsoft's chastising, and those few seconds evaporated away any respect I had for Edge.

PS: does an "Installing Firefox/Chrome from Fresh Windows 10" speedrun exist? I feel like that's the first step any competent Windows 10 user does, so it does seem like a speedrunnable thing, even if it's mostly a meme. Any% Tool-Assisted would probably be slipstreaming it, but that would give a negative time.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7079 on: March 16, 2021, 08:06:08 am »

I've been very happy with the performance of Opera for 15 years. Never a crash or problem.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 638