Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691567 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
let

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #8191 on: May 02, 2022, 09:19:09 am »

Entirely unintentional, I have had like, 3 hours sleep after weeks of varying degrees of not 8 hours sleep.

The impact is smaller because it’s further away, see?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot.
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #8192 on: May 02, 2022, 10:02:41 am »

Ah yes, the trebuchet impact of '87.
Awesome With Autism

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8193 on: May 03, 2022, 06:10:51 pm »

You know the video effect that is in every gif in tamervirus' avatar rotation? How is that effect/transition called?
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8194 on: May 03, 2022, 07:18:42 pm »

in the avatar thread, it's called datamoshing
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8195 on: May 04, 2022, 03:53:23 am »

Has anyone photographed a REAL quadruple rainbow?
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #8196 on: May 04, 2022, 06:36:07 am »

It is Arial, right?
No, Arial looks like this.

As compared to the default. It's more horizontally squished.

That, uh. Looks identical? At least on my screen.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8197 on: May 04, 2022, 09:54:19 am »

Yeah, I had actually noticed that when I looked at it on my laptop instead of the tablet. Apparently this thing doesn't have Arial loaded as a font or... something.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot.
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #8198 on: May 05, 2022, 08:45:38 pm »

So...... what's up with the forum's notifications not working?

gmail decided they were spam. fixd!
Awesome With Autism

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8199 on: May 06, 2022, 06:52:21 am »

So I've always had anxiety when it comes to presentations. Usually I keep it under control and I'm complimented on my presentation style/content. Today I tried to speak but my heart rate was way up and I couldn't get the words out properly. It was fine(ish) because I asked the other panelist to go first instead, then engaged normally, even well, afterwards.

But I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to alleviate the stress/panic/anxiety in future. Maybe have a glass of wine beforehand?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8200 on: May 06, 2022, 06:56:43 am »

The glass is risky, even if you're a frantic adhd type, sometimes alcohol will just slow you down and not hype you up.

In terms of respiratory/circulatory control, I allways come back to the same lifehack, square breathing.
let

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8201 on: May 06, 2022, 07:06:19 am »

I suppose the problem I'd have with a breathing technique is that it doesn't work if you have to do anything else as well, like talk or prepare for the presentation.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8202 on: May 06, 2022, 07:20:10 am »

Our bodies are fickle machines. By maintaining good posture and square breathing you trick your body into the impression that you are in control, your heart rythm calms down, that in turn calms your mind. It's a bit like the perfect opposite to hyperventilation. Also meanwhile you can concentrate on something else instead of working up anxiety. It's not practical or relaxing, presumably the best breathing is allways the classic deep breaths "through" the stomach, but if you are overflown with anxiety, that makes you "take it all in", though by that point a true nervous nelly is most likely not taking it all in and rather feeling "knotted-up" somewhere between lungs and throat. I know I know it's all mildly esoteric but the asians were onto something.

I guess you're right that you can't do it should anxiety suddenly hit you in a stupor, without "loosing face" but then again it's better to stammer and breathe wierdly than pass out, back in school we had a few students who were notorious for fainting in front of crowd.

edit: Why not "take it all in"? Well you can and presumably in the long term, if you allways choose to, it's best for you knowing yourself. The question is do you have the time to process your emotions before giving a presentation, if you do cudos, you'll presumably be a better person for going through life living every moment fully conscious of yourself, without slipping through the hard times just hoping they'll fly you by. But sometimes one just wants to perform, and there is allways time for soulsearching later.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 07:36:13 am by dragdeler »
let

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8203 on: May 06, 2022, 01:48:06 pm »

I suppose the problem I'd have with a breathing technique is that it doesn't work if you have to do anything else as well, like talk or prepare for the presentation.

They teach you it for martial arts, trust me it's possible to create a steady rate of respiration and do other things at the same time.

I drink green tea to calm myself but be careful because it can dry your mouth and make you more prone to spitting.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #8204 on: May 09, 2022, 09:49:31 am »

How backwards-compatible are major DF updates? Like if I wanted to take a save from .44 to .47, is that generally doable or going to be a bit of a project, if possible at all?
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 638