Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130273 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2012, 05:59:49 am »

For example, XXX: state of the union.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dude, he must know Linux

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2012, 06:00:47 am »

Complaining about XXX? I think the logical train wrecks in that movie series are intended to be part of the appeal.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2012, 06:25:55 am »

Every zombie movie ever. Why wouldn't they eat other zombies. Especially (the otherwise brilliant) 28 Days Later. It makes absolutely no sense that those "infected with rage" wouldn't attack each other as well.
Love, scriver~

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2012, 06:38:01 am »

Every zombie movie ever. Why wouldn't they eat other zombies. Especially (the otherwise brilliant) 28 Days Later. It makes absolutely no sense that those "infected with rage" wouldn't attack each other as well.
It all depends on what type of zombie you get.

1. Voodoo/ magic zombies/ rising corpses : magic, enough said
2. Technically living zombie: In that case it depends on the type of infection. A virus will most likely not care about those it infected, but a parasite will try to keep them alive. In that case it might make sense for the zombies to emit some kind of pheromone that keeps others from attacking them. Then again, that would make the development of an anti zombie spray rather easy

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2012, 06:40:30 am »

All the zombies killing each other immediately would severely reduce how far an outbreak spreads, for the most common types of zombieism at any rate.  The virus wouldn't be very successful unless it kept a good number of hosts "alive".  If it's airborne, that holds a lot less water.

Edit: Semi-ninja'd.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2012, 06:51:56 am »

Note that viruses aren't above manipulating you as well. The flu makes you extra sociable, for example.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2012, 06:54:44 am »

The Dark Knight Rises

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2012, 06:56:01 am »

I get irked whenever a sci-fi makes reference to genetic memory.  I know its sci-fi and I know I'm not supposed to think too hard about it, but for some reason the idea of storing all the information in your brain inside your DNA really bothers me. 

Looking at you Stargate SG1!
Looking at you Assassins Creed!

Did Battlestar Galatica do this too?

Avatar has it's flaws, but I don't consider not going genocidal one of them. The humans aren't evil or something, they just prefer profits

Yeah, I got this from the humans too. For example, after the battle they realized what they had done and left the planet in peace even though they could have likely continued or called in more people.

That's the least of my problems with zombies, mine being why in every zombie moving it's not explained why the military would utterly fail at killing the equivalent of small angry bears.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2012, 06:57:01 am »

The Dark Knight Rises
Hey, just because YOUR phone sucks... ;D

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2012, 07:02:53 am »

Mobile phone towers do not work that way!

That's the least of my problems with zombies, mine being why in every zombie moving it's not explained why the military would utterly fail at killing the equivalent of small angry bears.

Usually justified by numbers, not being trained to shoot at the head (suppressive fire doesn't work on a zombie), lack of readiness or willingness to accept that the dead are coming back to life allowing zombie population to grow too quickly and that most of the zombies are in the cities where it's a lot easier to get swarmed.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2012, 07:08:28 am »

Usually justified by numbers, not being trained to shoot at the head (suppressive fire doesn't work on a zombie), lack of readiness or willingness to accept that the dead are coming back to life allowing zombie population to grow too quickly and that most of the zombies are in the cities where it's a lot easier to get swarmed.
Maybe it was a sattelite phone? I don't know, haven't watched the movies.

Also, the military and all other instances do have plans for a zombie apocalypse. It makes for a good brainstorming exercice.

As for other complains, films where the entire plan of the military comes down to this.

Shoot it with handguns
Did it work:
Y: Good job, mission accomplished. Surely it could not have survived
N: Drop the nukes

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2012, 07:18:15 am »

Maybe it was a sattelite phone? I don't know, haven't watched the movies.
It was working off of cell phones towers.  To avoid giving anything away, they left where they were because the ground line internet connection had already been cut, and they knew the local cell tower would be taken down as well.

As for the connection, the program apparently took 8 minutes to run, which seems like an inordinate amount of time for something like that to take.  No personal experience, of course, but the unsteady connection could have been accounted for with that time pretty easily.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2012, 07:41:59 am »

Knowing.

Start: Mediocre thriller with mild supernatural elements.

End:

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2012, 08:03:26 am »

Is that that movie with the timecapsule and writing lsot of incoherent symbols that predict natural disaesters?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2012, 09:03:09 am »

Even if people have never heard of zombies before, I don't think it would take all that long for people to find out about shooting them in the head and that this is some sort of infection. Maybe a large city at most would fall, but beyond that the range of artillery and even simple rifles tends to make quick work of zombies. Clearing out the city would probably be as easy as putting some bait out and letting these things that don't seem to exhibit the caution some animals show come and get mowed down.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 88