Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130265 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2012, 05:22:01 am »

Also, I really don't get why people are annoyed by the whole bomb exploding over water thing, it wasn't that powerfull in the first place and the Batwing was fast enough to get it a fair distance away from the city in time (remeber it could outrun those missles in the city, now image moving in a straight line, tho it was encumbered slighty).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A water burst, that would've flooded Gotham whilst simultaneously giving everyone burns and worse (like radioactive rain cycles) :z

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 06, 2012, 05:40:10 am »

Again, the explosion looked nothing like that (more like a classic nuke test we saw carried out in the desert), and for all we know it happened higher up in the air thus weakening the force on the surface of the water and with that making the amount of displaced water negligible.

The radiation thing kinda stands but that largely depends on wind currents and their strenght.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 06, 2012, 06:10:14 am »

What kind of bomb are we talking about anyway. A classic nuclear explosive or something else?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 06, 2012, 06:18:40 am »

A 100% fusion bomb wouldn't have fallout. That's a fission thing mostly. Fusing hydrogen into helium doesn't produce anything radioactive.

Now, if there was a fission primer...
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 06, 2012, 06:21:03 am »

Shawshank Redemption.  How the hell did they put that poster up?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 06, 2012, 08:00:28 am »

Atlantis: The Lost Empire

While I really enjoyed this movie and the fact that the protagonist is a linguist (because I love languages), the linguistics in the movie are terrible.

First off, while Milo is running through his speech in the intro, the runes he is working with seem to be a 1-to-1 cypher for English (to the extent that a single mis-transliterated rune changes the meaning from coast of Ireland to coast of Iceland.

Then there's Atlantean: in no way does being the forerunner of all modern human speech (which is essentially what Milo calls it, on first encountering the Atlanteans) make it possible to understand all modern human speech. Think of it this way: The romance languages (French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, etc.) are descended from a common ancestor (Latin), but are not mutually intelligible.

Now, if you brought a Latin-speaking Roman forward in time, he would not be able to understand what was being said by any speaker of the Romance languages, because they have mutated over time to be very different from their common ancestor. Now I'm not saying the Roman wouldn't pick up some words that sound familiar, but even I did that when listening to the Swedish dialogue of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (which, by the way, had the best representation of computers I have ever seen in a movie). And anyway, even if being "descended from a root dialect" (aren't all languages descended from root dialects?) makes the descendant tongues intelligible to you, wouldn't that work the other way as well?

I can only assume it's actually the Heart of Atlantis that's helping the Atlanteans speak to the outsiders.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2012, 11:41:28 am »

I can only assume it's actually the Heart of Atlantis that's helping the Atlanteans speak to the outsiders.

Yeah I sort of assumed magic too.

Especially since a language that all languages are derived from, an impressive feat given human history, would have to be some sort of innate magic language.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2012, 01:43:53 pm »

Then there's Atlantean: in no way does being the forerunner of all modern human speech (which is essentially what Milo calls it, on first encountering the Atlanteans) make it possible to understand all modern human speech.
Not that this changes any of your complaints, but the producers actually hired Marc Okrand (who created the Klingon language) to produce a passable Proto-Indo-European (PIE) based language for the film, so the language itself should be more solid than it's usage.

Similarly there was such a language created for Prometheus. Language Log had a geek out dissecting some of it here that even got 4Chan to comment on how damned nerdy it was. Seems the PIE linguistics in that film was better than the science. Or the English script for that matter.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 06, 2012, 06:06:28 pm »

Then there's Atlantean: in no way does being the forerunner of all modern human speech (which is essentially what Milo calls it, on first encountering the Atlanteans) make it possible to understand all modern human speech.
Not that this changes any of your complaints, but the producers actually hired Marc Okrand (who created the Klingon language) to produce a passable Proto-Indo-European (PIE) based language for the film, so the language itself should be more solid than it's usage.

Similarly there was such a language created for Prometheus. Language Log had a geek out dissecting some of it here that even got 4Chan to comment on how damned nerdy it was. Seems the PIE linguistics in that film was better than the science. Or the English script for that matter.
Yeah - no complaints about Okrand's linguistics and abilities as a conlanger. My complaint is entirely against the screenwriters.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2012, 07:26:06 pm »

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. They've been informed that creating an ape slave race is a shitty idea, by time-travelling apes no less, and they do it anyway!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 06, 2012, 09:19:14 pm »

Well that can be explained by human stubbornness and stupidity.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 06, 2012, 09:24:01 pm »

It's also less efficient, less humane, and more dangerous than robots.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 06, 2012, 09:47:43 pm »

Which honestly sounds like the sort of thing the folks that'd do it anyway would consider a bonus.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 07, 2012, 10:10:29 pm »

Some stuff on the batman movies...
Spoiler: Batman Begins (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Dark Knight (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Dark Knight Rises (click to show/hide)
After watching all 3 of these movies, I think my favorite is actually the first one.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 07, 2012, 10:14:13 pm »

Yeah, I agree the first one's the best. Second one dragged on a little too long and the morals at the end were stupid (even though the third movie proceeded to decimate those morals). Third one just wasn't as interesting all around. Still fun though.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 88