Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130328 times)

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #195 on: August 07, 2012, 10:19:43 pm »

Why does everyone seem to find Bane hard to understand? Does playing Fallout 3 give me the ability to understand robotic voices?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 07, 2012, 10:33:17 pm »

Whoever engineered it decided that the score should take focus during dialogue-heavy scenes. The score competes for the same frequencies that Bane's voice does at the time, and due to the fact that everyone has different sensitivities to these frequencies, it can lead to certain words and phrases being masked to some people's ears. That leads to too much signal degradation for the brain to process individual words.

Ideally, a movie's dialogue always takes precedence over everything in the mix. This is rule #1. This is film sound 101. This is why professional engineers are going to cry if this movie gets an award for its sound mixing. (The soundtrack is WONDERFUL though, in my opinion)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 07, 2012, 10:57:29 pm »

Prometheus because a scifi horror film shouldn't make me burst out laughing from the sheer stupidity of it 30 minutes in.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 07, 2012, 11:25:29 pm »

Well that can be explained by human stubbornness and stupidity.

Yeah but it is sort of over the top.

Also this is Nitpicks that ruined movies. Of course every nitpick has a explanation.

For example: "How did they hear Rosebud in Citizen Cain when there was no one in the room?"

Answer: "Someone had great hearing, there was someone off screen, they were listening through the door, there was a recorder under his bed"

Done.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 07, 2012, 11:30:18 pm »

Spoiler: The Dark Knight (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 08, 2012, 12:09:34 am »

the blue pokeherhotass movie again.
The guys a traitor pure and simple and a Xenophilia.
peta are terrorists so how do they have power at all.
The gift of blankets worked in the past it will work again.
Comets and asteroidsm unfortunate completly natural disaster
RF resonant earthquakes, if a human with basic equipment can pull it off now they can do it planetwide.
rods of god, get a lump of high density metal like tungstan or DU, give it a boost  with decent orbit path and let it impact on site.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 08, 2012, 02:55:03 am »

The blue Pocahontas movie again.
The guy is a traitor pure and simple and a Xenophilia.Xenophilia is a noun, not an adjective
PETA are terrorists so how do they have any power at all.
The gift of blankets worked in the past so it will work again.
Comets and asteroids might cause an unfortunate completely natural disaster
RF resonant earthquakes, if a human with basic equipment can pull it off now they should be able to do it planetwide.
Rods of god, get a lump of high density metal like tungsten or DU, give it a boost with decent orbit path and let it impact on site

Now on to the actual errors in the post:

1. Have you seen Pocahontas? There are quite a lot of differences. Sure it shares the basic plotline, but not much more
2. That's one valid character intrepretation. I suppose
3. Sure, Terrorists have no influence at all. It's not like they would be able to destroy a target in one of the most densely populated cities on the planet, and so ground the entire airtraffic and cause parranoia for Years. Besides the PETA was only the radical part of a much larger planetwide movement which probably involved lots of scientists and several other political parties.
4. Results of the past are no guarantee for the future. Making a virus/bacteria/parasite in a single day doesn't work, and making it in advance makes no sense. Should it be discivered, the RDA will suffer serious backlash. Should they use it, they are going to get blamed even without proof. All that would lose them millions in PR to hold onto their mining license All that to kill of some natives using spears and sticks. Seems like a bit of overkill to me. Remember, before the Deus Ex Machina they only managed to kill 10 choppers max, and that was during an ambush on their home terrain with the marines equipment partially disabled.
    a)The ISV's have equipment onboard for in system navigation. You ain't gonna be able to say nobody could see it coming
    b)Useful meteroids are hard to find, and certainly can't be procured in a weeks time
    c)It would mean you would blow up your own base too
    d)Unobtanium is a very comple compound. An impact would damage or destroy it.
6. Guarantees of the past are no guarantees for the future. Cost increases exponentially as size increases, and I think the experiment failed. Besides why would you create an Earthquake, the only thing you're going to do is damage your own base. Trees are quite resilient to Earthquakes.
   a)They are not allowed to use, make or own weapons of mass destruction
   b)Therefore, they would need to make said object. This means, that in about 4 days they need to develop a drop projectile, launch it into space(1.5 days), line up the orbit , and then fire the projectile so that it flies through the flying mountains, into a magnetically charged field, into a canyon on the target. Keep in mind that their ships and techs are made to be as light as possible, so they'll most likely have to use planet found materials.(No tungsten or DU). They have to do a precision strike, because a large strike would damage their own base.

Keep in mind that the humans aren't genocidally evil. There were semipeaceful relations with the Na Vi for quite a long time.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 08, 2012, 03:51:57 am »

Man, I don't understand any of Quentin Tarantino's films.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jokes aside, how many of these little things actually ruined the movies for you?
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 08, 2012, 03:57:49 am »

Jokes aside, how many of these little things actually ruined the movies for you?
None. Tarantino is the shit.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 08, 2012, 04:32:46 am »

None. Tarantino is the shit.

I was talking about the other posts in thread like "x did something,but it would be better to do this!" or "how did they do this?". I really hope people don't actually think what I posted.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 04:35:53 am by Detonate »
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 08, 2012, 04:48:59 am »

Tarantino is pretty meh. Makes two semi-intelligent action movies, gets a reputation and has lived on it for the rest of his career. Poor bastard.
Love, scriver~

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 08, 2012, 05:32:03 am »

So has anyone else watched the 'This is How X Should of Ended' cartoons?

I have a weird relationship with them. I wanna like, as I enjoy the art style, and find the production value overall decent, but often times I find his particular nitpicks just fuckin wrong.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 08, 2012, 05:40:36 am »

On the Dark Knight Rises, I remember "Dat Traitor Woman" saying that Bane was excommunicated because Bane reminded Ras al Ghul of the prison he abandoned his wife to.

So, yeah, Ras was just being a jerk.

I can't really think of anything to nitpick...
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 08, 2012, 05:50:24 am »

I hate when stuff just don't make sense in movies. Like Terminator 3: Why would you want your killer robots to be motorcycle? Why would you include control on them so that a human may use them? Why do you have a fully-fleshed user interface in Skynet's lair?
Because T800s might need to interact with them (cycles and lair computers, both) but they have been given no bluetooth capability? ;)

(Given the number of pages gone by, in this thread, which I still need to read, this might be a virtually necrotic point.  As might my reiteration of Why The Heck Does That Guy From The Latest Terminator Movie Still Wear His Hi-Vis Vest When Fighting Giant Robots That Could Squish Him Like A Bug In An Instant!)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 08, 2012, 06:46:20 am »

Note: There's some equation which was solved by some smart scientists and a lot of guessing which suggests that there are about 20 intelligent alien civilazations in the universe.
1) There's still a lot of guessing, making the error-bars quite huge
2) The equation itself actually limits itself to civilisations that we would communicate with via radio (which clearly the Avatar abrogines are not), as well as limiting itself to basically M-Class Planet life (which at least the Avatar world basically is), ignoring all the other possibilities that we could imagine, and doubtless many others that even the SF-community has no concept of.
3) I've never ever seen any use of the Drake Equation suggestion anything like there being a mere 20 alien civilisations in the entire universe.  (Except for the ones where values have been used that suggest none at all, making even our existence unlikely!)  Even "20 in our own galaxy" is a little on the low side.  Wikipedia has Drake's original range of estimate of 1,000 to 100 million in our galaxy.  Although its "worst case of values" scenario does tend drift towards zero (universe-wide), that's an extreme outlier.  (The "Best of the best" scenario" says 180 million in our galaxy, if I read it correctly, but that's also an outlier.)

Life (even (or indeed especially!) of the restrictive type the Drake Equation predicts) wouldn't necessarily be evenly distributed, in the Universe (or Galaxy).  Stars are clumped (in galaxies, when considering the universal scale!), and interstellar conditions vary across any given area in so many other ways.  When considering (say) Alpha Centauri as a potential contemporary co-evolver of life, consider that it is a star(-system) of very similar age to ours ('only' 250 million years adrift, out of a few billion or so total life), and probably from the same star-birthing grounds (with the same intermix of basic elements from which to build planets and the chemical processes upon them), in an area of the galaxy that has certainly been free of catastrophic radiation surges from a nearby supernova, at any critical point in our (pre-)history, and even (possibly!) whether it had been subject to the same hail of intragalactic panspermia-propagating interstellar space-debris (if that's got anything to do with how life arises).  Being close to us means that it's got several good chances of having the same sort of pre-biological conditions and (if not panspermia-induced) elements to kick off with whatever form of abiogenesis might have arisen.

OTOH, the whole Centauri system is a lot more complicated than ours, but with it being an "AB-C" system (Alpha Centauris 'A' and 'B' being binary, with 'C'/Proxima also being relatively close), so whether a suitably life-supporting rocky planet is even more doubtful than the possibility of such a planet having accreted.

Which is not to say it might not be possible, and life on binary-orbiting planets is frequently seen in fiction (everything from Tatooine, of Star Wars fame (a hand-waved, 'this is an exotic planet (of entirely one biome!)' filmic shortcut, at least in its original conception and prior to any retroactive attempts to justify) to the Helliconia series (by Brian Aldiss, who actively employed the vagaries of having a planet in a long-period binary-system as a major story-arc plot-point, essentially, and in an attempt to run with a viable setting for this largely non-terrestrial storyline), and some fiction gets these things right, even before the science is willing to stand up and counted on the same point.  OTO(O!)H, there's a lot more rubbish (or bad misses) out there than that which is accurately prophetic of yet-to-be-confirmed scientific realities. ;)

(i.e. I get your point about Avatar's planet, but you can't just point at Drake and use that to discredit its existence.)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 88