Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130322 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #405 on: January 23, 2013, 03:19:17 pm »

Well it seems like Santa Claus was originally Odin :D

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 23, 2013, 03:21:30 pm »

I am just going to nit pick The Hobbit for a bit.
1: changed the book
2: the tree scene
3: they shrunk Mirkwood.
thats all.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 24, 2013, 05:17:17 am »

There's but one explanation. This film took place during the events of The Day the Earth stood still.

Note: I haven't seen either of the films
Either?  Oh, they remade it.  Haven't seen the new version.  But if I remember the former correctly, you'll get no solice out of "The Earth Standing Still", because it's a purely psychological "standing still" of the Earth (or, rather, of its populations, holding their breath as it were).

OTOH, there's an SF-ish short story I remember where some guy gets the power of 'miracles', or some way to wish for things and them to happen, no matter what.  At some point in his experimentation, or perhaps demonstration of his powers to a friend or colleague (I forget) he decides to make "the Sun stop in its tracks", in the sky...  Of course, because the apparent movement of the sun is due to the rotation of the Earth, his will gets translated into "stop the Earth rotating[1]".

The Earth stops rotating[2], but everything on the Earth still has the inertia relevant to the prior state, and everything (presumable less so as you near the poles) is now flung sideways, w.r.t. the now 'stationary' Earth. Our miracle-endowed guy, whilst violently thrown sideways (or violently finds the Earth no longer turning with him) rushes out a mental command along the lines of "whatever else happens, let me be safe!", and so is protected from the worst of the effects, but witnesses the gross destruction he has caused as people and things and buildings and seas and oceans and perhaps the air itself rushes across the face of the Earth, spin-wise, with very little surviving.  I think it became one of the moralistic "be careful what you wish for" tales, at that point, because he works out why all this happened and makes one last combined 'wish' that: a) Everything be set back as it should, and b) That he no longer have (or remember having?) the powers.

(I cannot hope to remember the author.  It's as likely to be Brian Aldiss as Clifford D. Simak or the rest.  Shall we say pre-'70s, and in my mind it could even read like a 1950s SF style, or perhaps earlier, but not as far back as Wells.  Tries to put a contemporaneous veneer of "hard SF" onto a basic fantasy plot, though, like they did back then...)

[1] Or, I suppose make it rotate at whatever rate would be 1 revolution per year, but events don't continue long enough to reveal whether the author appreciated this depth.

[2] Or at least grossly alters the rate of it, as per footnote 1.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 24, 2013, 05:26:55 am »

thats all.
If that's 'all' (although (1) sounds like it could be a biggy), then you might actually be tempting me to go and see it. ;)

(I know there's at least one thread on here about it, but I've left it unread, in case of spoilers. ;))

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 25, 2013, 07:24:35 pm »

It's pretty good, although more actiony and less humorous than the book. I suggest seeing it.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 29, 2013, 10:48:09 am »

thats all.
Dont forget about the stupid mountains coming to life and fighting scene.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 29, 2013, 11:33:47 am »

Dont forget about the stupid mountains coming to life and fighting scene.

As long as we can't say that Tolkien stole that idea from Pratchett ('Grandad', in TCOM I think). ;)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 29, 2013, 04:04:43 pm »

That too.

And i have one for los miserables:
1. They messed up the flags. they where red with black boarders, not solid red.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 09, 2013, 10:18:10 am »

Ok here is just a general nitpick but It is actually something I am noticing that bugs me in everything I watch and play.

I dislike it when the solution to a problem could easily be solved by the characters simply talking about it and yet it never happens.

I even watched a show where this Kids mom was a nurse at his school for a week. He solved that problem IMMEDIATELY by just saying that he is embarassed at school and that they shouldn't associate. BOOM! Solved! No 30 minutes of trying to get the mom to quit, hiding from her, or having people laugh at the kid at school.

Mind you I know why they don't just talk. Since that would get in the way of contrived issues or comedy they are trying to force into their plotlines.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 09, 2013, 11:04:36 am »

Spoiler: Hellboy 2 (click to show/hide)
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 09, 2013, 11:58:40 am »

Neonivek: Admittedly a lot of IRL drama could be avoided if people just got cool and talked to each other honestly. Since it doesn't happen IRL, it's not a stretch to see it not happening in movies.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #416 on: February 09, 2013, 12:44:28 pm »

Its entirely possible that the crown couldn't be destroyed unless it was joined and deconstructed as a whole. I mean those golems were made of a similar looking metal and they were nigh indestructible.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 09, 2013, 01:24:50 pm »

Its entirely possible that the crown couldn't be destroyed unless it was joined and deconstructed as a whole. I mean those golems were made of a similar looking metal and they were nigh indestructible.
That could be true but then the crown was originally willingly broken to stop the army ever being used again. It could have been destroyed then. I think it was how simply and without word it was destroyed in the end that made it stand out to me.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #418 on: February 09, 2013, 05:16:58 pm »

I dislike it when the solution to a problem could easily be solved by the characters simply talking about it and yet it never happens.
People in real life not communicating and thus causing problems that will haunt them in the future...

Sounds like humanity in a nutshell.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 09, 2013, 11:30:22 pm »

Neonivek: Admittedly a lot of IRL drama could be avoided if people just got cool and talked to each other honestly. Since it doesn't happen IRL, it's not a stretch to see it not happening in movies.

When the issue is the inability to talk I give it a pass.

For example Angelic Layer's (and anime) entire plot revolved around how none of the characters could communicate with eachother. There is no issue here because that is the problem, that is the hurdle they needed to get over.

When it is "Instead of talking about it, which I have no issue doing or could easily not do in an insulting way, I am going to do some CAARAAAZY hijinks" is when it starts to bug me.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 88