Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130263 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #480 on: April 02, 2013, 02:54:37 pm »

I just watched the last Games of Thrones episode, and what's with the super-soldier? You can't just walk into a supermarket and buy an army of übersoldiers that are super-loyal and don't feel pain.

and why are they selling tham? When you have an army of supersoldier, you just take the money, not trade it for...
They are slavers. They profit, a lot, without the cost of ever having to go to war. They're soldiers, little more. It's one of the saddest depths of grimdarkiness in A song of fire and ice.

In any case they're not actually that great of fighters. It's just that they never stop drilling. Great soldiers, bad warriors. Slavers bay is also surrounded by not much to take money from. They'd have to invade one of the slaver cities that they frequently trade with, or else invade the Dothraki sea which is not a smart idea. Mainly because not only do they trade with the Dothraki and get lots of free slaves from them, but they would lose most all of their army in a protracted campaign against a khalasar in its home country.

*EDIT
In short, they're the first organized army in that universe.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:57:31 pm by Loud Whispers »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 02, 2013, 07:07:28 pm »

Well, then who do they sell them to when you don't have protagonist coming by with ships full of gold?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 02, 2013, 07:24:21 pm »

Well, then who do they sell them to when you don't have protagonist coming by with ships full of gold?
Well, the whole area's normally politically disunited among squabbling city-states, and political backbiting in the whole Game of Thrones 'verse is all sorts of bloody even compared to real life.  Presumably, they sell to the cities or to prominent wealthy merchant lords, who then use the armies on each other, or possibly to protect against Dothraki raiders.  Basically, this would put the slave armies as an unholy cross between Mamluks and condottieri.  Once you sell off the army, you go and gather some more slaves, and make another army to sell again.  Just like most condottieri only rarely tried to conquer the cities of Italy outright (people like Sforza being an exception), the slaver lords aren't so willing to kill the goose that lays the golden egg for a single meal of fois gras. 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #483 on: April 03, 2013, 12:44:48 pm »

Five warring city states with plenty of silk, spice and silver or gold to give.

*EDIT

There are also four other cities that buy them, in addition to wealthy merchants just buying them for bodyguards. Also the whole "feel no pain stuff" is caused from them drinking a whole cocktail of poisons every day (one of the contributing reasons for them mostly not surviving training) which is most definitely causing them permanent nerve damage and making sure they do not get sick. Along with a whole set of other side effects, but the slavers do not care as long as it does not impact their soldiery.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 12:54:43 pm by Loud Whispers »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 03, 2013, 12:49:39 pm »

Anyone else thinks that the "1 coin to race" scheme in Wreck-it Ralph is a tidbit unsustainable?
I love the film to pieces, but this one bit buggers me every time I rewatch it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 04, 2013, 03:16:51 am »

Quaritch is an amazing dude.
When I watch the movie, I always think of him and his marines as the good guys.

This is actually the way basically everyone I know interprets the movie. I mean, come on - This guy runs out into poisonous atmosphere to try to take pistol pot shots at the bad guys. He pilots a construction mech to do battle against a hostile alien life form (just like in Aliens!). He's all around loyal, a dedicated bad-ass, and from all appearances an effective and well liked leader (by those not staging coups).

He's an antagonist, but it would be trivial for him to fill the role of protagonist just as easily, and most people I know were really rooting for him to win in that final battle.
In my endless depths of bored trawling the Internet, I found a whole fricking write up on the topic.
On a forum dedicated to owning Scion TC's, no less.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:19:25 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 04, 2013, 07:10:10 am »

Anyone else thinks that the "1 coin to race" scheme in Wreck-it Ralph is a tidbit unsustainable?

In a gameworld? If anything coins should be just about worthless.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 04, 2013, 07:29:53 am »

They obviously weren't, as each avatar could get a coin only by winning the race. Which costs coins to participate.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 04, 2013, 07:47:21 am »

They obviously weren't, as each avatar could get a coin only by winning the race. Which costs coins to participate.

Just hop over to Mario World and take some of his, he has plenty.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 04, 2013, 07:49:46 am »

Yeah, because stealing from Italian mafia never goes awry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 04, 2013, 07:50:36 am »

Yeah, because stealing from Italian mafia never goes awry.

Ohh they are just a bunch of mushroom heads.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 04, 2013, 07:54:23 am »

Nope, this was addressed in the movie as I recall.
They won coins during the day races, thus would amass enough coins in a day to last a while. The problem is that if you have no coins to start with, you can never get into the qualifying race to get into the day races to get more coins.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 04, 2013, 07:58:52 am »

Thus Max White what you are highlighting is a system that somehow makes even more sense. Essentially the only way to enter the elite racing club is to have someone give you a coin.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 04, 2013, 08:00:25 am »

That was the entire point of the system... The system was literally made to keep somebody out.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 04, 2013, 08:02:25 am »

Alright, these were the day races? That makes more sense.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 88