Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130249 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #615 on: October 28, 2014, 03:41:22 pm »

Gonna add the song "A little bit of a Fixer Upper" from Frozen

Honestly there is a lot in the movie that bugs me, but they are things I could live with...

But that song... HOLY COW that song!

Not only is it a dumb forced romance song in a movie about NATURALLY PROGRESSING RELATIONSHIPS! But HOLY goodness... a song about looking past someone's terrible qualities by focusing on their terrible qualities and saying they are a fixer upper... and then that stupid throw away line about "how you can't really change people" DEAR GOODNESS MOVIE! I've never heard a more trite "no our song isn't bad... see we had a line saying how our lyrics mean something else completely RIGHT NEAR THE END!".

AHHHH!

I think Frozen is one of those movies you're supposed to like because Academy Awards and stuff. But to tell the truth I found it quite underwhelming and some of the singing was just terribad, and I don't really care for the characters, and I'm still annoyed that they were all so eager to cash in with Once Upon a Time (which is itself a huge Disney cash-in but at least it was somewhat quirky, the Frozen crossover is just completely in-your-face).

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 28, 2014, 03:52:18 pm »

In Starship Troopers it always bugged me that they didn't simply nuke the planet from orbit.

Yeah, they wanted to capture a brain bug, but if they nuked the planet from orbit they wouldn't need to, except perhaps simply as a scientific curiosity.
A lot of films with proficient space travel seem to gloss over the fact that an efficient and powerful space engine is exactly the same technology needed to pull off a planet-wide kinetic Exterminatus. Assuming you don't want to retrieve something from the biosphere of a planet all you have to do to wipe out a planet is find a sufficiently large asteroid a sufficiently far distance away, accelerate it to near light speed, and then go dark. The end result is a chunk of rock that is nigh-undetectable and by the time it is close enough to be detectable it doesn't make any difference because all blowing it up would do is increase the level of destruction.

Of course when the alternative is for the story line to be that all the governments suddenly panic, make an announcement about how we are all going to be dead in an hour, and then have 99% of all life be exterminated instantly, followed by the aliens landing on the desolate planet and beginning mining operations, it's pretty easy to see why they ignore that fact. :P

I think Frozen is one of those movies you're supposed to like because Academy Awards and stuff. But to tell the truth I found it quite underwhelming and some of the singing was just terribad, and I don't really care for the characters, and I'm still annoyed that they were all so eager to cash in with Once Upon a Time (which is itself a huge Disney cash-in but at least it was somewhat quirky, the Frozen crossover is just completely in-your-face).
I liked it because it was the first time an animated Disney film really pushed some of the standard "fairy tale" boundaries that they usually follow. It simultaneously managed to hit the both the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
marks, as well as managing to hit the rare "two strong female leads" mark as well.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 28, 2014, 03:59:45 pm »

Scar

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 28, 2014, 04:17:00 pm »

I liked it because it was the first time an animated Disney film really pushed some of the standard "fairy tale" boundaries that they usually follow. It simultaneously managed to hit the both the
marks, as well as managing to hit the rare "two strong female leads" mark as well.
I honestly think this is large part of the charm of Frozen.  The tunes are catchy for the young'ns, the aesthetics appealing, and the story takes some interesting twists that aren't usually expected to come out of Disney's main animation studios, much less their flagship fairy tale lines.  Some of the things on deeper thought, though...

Scar
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 04:20:47 pm by Culise »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #619 on: October 28, 2014, 04:17:35 pm »

In Starship Troopers it always bugged me that they didn't simply nuke the planet from orbit.

Yeah, they wanted to capture a brain bug, but if they nuked the planet from orbit they wouldn't need to, except perhaps simply as a scientific curiousity.
Though not for lack of trying on other planets, the bugs take shelter underground whenever they try bombing them. >_> It's the whole reason why they need the mobile infantry, because you can't take them on like a traditional enemy.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 28, 2014, 04:29:42 pm »

How useful is it to hide underground if your whole atmosphere burned away?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 28, 2014, 04:39:27 pm »

Not even that is neccessary. Thermobaric weapons, bunker busters, earthquake bombs.

Just bury the fucks and wait for them to starve or something.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #622 on: October 28, 2014, 06:20:51 pm »

How useful is it to hide underground if your whole atmosphere burned away?
That's not how it works. and besides, in the movies they did nuke Klendathu and other planets before assaulting them, and there were still shitloads of bugs when the infantry landed. Actually the infantry are the only ones who used nukes, and that was just on the plasma bugs and holes. Well at least the film addresses that solution during the scene when they're practicing throwing knives, but yeah they never really show their fleets firing nukes at the enemy planets. They did do shitloads of bombing later which was apparently effective, but most of the bugs still survived underground.

Not even that is neccessary. Thermobaric weapons, bunker busters, earthquake bombs.

Just bury the fucks and wait for them to starve or something.
Yes, bury the subterranean creatures, why didn't we think of that?

The infantry even carried tactical nukes to seal holes, and that obviously only served as a delaying tactic. There's nothing stopping them from digging more holes.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 06:34:15 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 28, 2014, 07:05:55 pm »

A lot of films with proficient space travel seem to gloss over the fact that an efficient and powerful space engine is exactly the same technology needed to pull off a planet-wide kinetic Exterminatus. Assuming you don't want to retrieve something from the biosphere of a planet all you have to do to wipe out a planet is find a sufficiently large asteroid a sufficiently far distance away, accelerate it to near light speed, and then go dark. The end result is a chunk of rock that is nigh-undetectable and by the time it is close enough to be detectable it doesn't make any difference because all blowing it up would do is increase the level of destruction.

Of course when the alternative is for the story line to be that all the governments suddenly panic, make an announcement about how we are all going to be dead in an hour, and then have 99% of all life be exterminated instantly, followed by the aliens landing on the desolate planet and beginning mining operations, it's pretty easy to see why they ignore that fact. :P
Rocks are NOT free, citizen.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 28, 2014, 07:07:59 pm »

The infantry even carried tactical nukes to seal holes, and that obviously only served as a delaying tactic. There's nothing stopping them from digging more holes.

There's a huge difference between a tactical nuke and a full sized hydrogen bomb. A small tactical nuke like the kind that they were carrying is roughly equivalent to a conventional blockbuster (the MK-54 Davy Crockett Tactical Nuke has a yield of 10 tons of TNT, approximately equivalent to the yields of conventional blockbuster bombs such as the 7 ton Grand Slam Bomb and the 11 ton GBU-43/B MOAB), just in a smaller and easier to carry form. A russian Tsar Bomba (yield equivalent to 50-100 MEGAtons of TNT depending on the specific design used [by contrast, the the combined total yield of all bombs used in World War 2 - including the Fat Man and the Little Boy - put together is estimated to be just over three megatons]) could easily take out most of Rhode Island
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 28, 2014, 07:43:22 pm »

Scar

Yeah but to admit Frozen tried WAAAAAAAAY too hard to the extent where they really might as well not have bothered.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 28, 2014, 08:28:31 pm »

A thing that got me mad at Frozen is that the "prince is pretending and is actually evil" part was quite telegraphed in advance but I refused to accept it was the case because it was a Disney fairy tale movie and they're supposed to be all corny and stuff. My wife told me "I bet he's actually a bad dude" and I was like "yeah it's the only thing that makes sense but naaah, it's Disney, they can't do that". And in the end, we were both right yet it wasn't that it was a good, unpredictable twist but was blinded by Disney goggles.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 28, 2014, 08:39:59 pm »

The thing is the ONLY clue he was evil was because he acted like a genuinely good and caring person ALL the time. EVEN when it didn't benefit his own plan (there were several points where all he had to do was nothing to win). Everyone watching knew he had to be evil because he acted WAY too good and Anna already had a love interest. It is just flat out bad writing to know a twist is coming not because it makes sense from a character stand point but because narratively they HAD to be evil.

Even I knew he was evil and was hoping he wasn't... and at a certain point I was relieved and went "wow, they really didn't make him evil..." mostly because at that point it made no sense for him to be evil anymore.

Turns out he was just incredibly stupid. The second he reveals he is evil he just stops the act altogether... making his earlier act pretty pointless.

As I said before all Frozen had to do is have Hans NOT be evil... and the movie would be 25% better.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:57:33 pm by Neonivek »

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #628 on: October 28, 2014, 08:53:37 pm »

There's this movie, Chronicle, that's about 3 boy that get superpowers from a meteor. It's filmed in "found footage" style, sorta. Gonna spoilerify the rest.

Huh O_o I remember this one.
Though I vaguely remember how the cops acted in the last scene--there were bullet fire, I remember, and what I recall is the 'bad' guy repelled them or halted their weaponry/bullets.

You can see the whole scene here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m7z7HGZY9M

There's a grand total of one bullet fired from a regular police handgun, which good guy catches (catching it actually injures his hand so).

This is because the good guy said he surrendered and had his hands in the air and asked them not to shoot, which apparently cops find very suspicious and demands swift and lethal action.

Then later they fly to a plaza where bad guy has 500 laser sights pointed at him by SWAT, who are known for their measured and cool headed response and completely incapable of escalating any situation. They order him to stand down, which he interprets as asking him to flail his arms menacingly and scream at them for a good 30 seconds, stumbling all over the place (maybe he thinks the lasers are a spotlight and he's supposed to do some interpretative dance for them?). So they shout at him some more to stand down (I'm sure at this point a few of them are thinking "maybe if we say please?")

Then he shoves a couple of cars and SWAT cops (one cop even manages to keep his rifle aimed at him the entire time he's flying backwards). Then a police helicopter shines a light at him for another minute without actually trying to stop him or anything, while he keeps screaming and attacking camera lenses, apparently.

You know the military would prefer a living sample be captured.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 28, 2014, 09:11:50 pm »

You know the military would prefer a living sample be captured.

It was SWAT. They don't care about no sample.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 88