Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130276 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #810 on: January 17, 2015, 06:59:17 am »

Oh, you mean for humans to use!
Hmm.
Honestly bio weapons on the scale of entire planets generally are too dangerous to use since they tend to spread offworld and fuck everything over.
There is the Life-Eater virus from 40k, it reduces everything organic on the planet to highly flammable sludge that promptly gets set on fire from orbit, burning the atmosphere away. They don't use it much, if only because it makes Nurgle stronger.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: January 17, 2015, 07:03:33 am »

Even in fiction, biological weapon is just a scare phrase and not actually that effective.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: January 17, 2015, 07:08:54 am »

Depends on how effective the organism, I think.
Shoggoths could kinda be considered bioweapons, kinda. More like biological construction robots, though.
Sig! Onol

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 17, 2015, 07:41:07 am »

From widely published media I'd say John Carpenter's Thing as I said earlier, if only because it's so versatile; a single cell can start off a thing that'll eat the entire planet, and if it's dropped anywhere near sources of biomass it'll quickly spread out of control. A jungle would be a nightmare scenario if the Thing got into it. Tyranids might out eat it on most levels, but theyre more a mobile ecosystem - if you drop a basic Gaunt into a jungle it'll cause damage sure, but it'll die eventually and it won't really have a lasting effect. The Thing'll have assimilated the whole thing in a week tops.

From just pure forum stuff, the Altered from Einsteinian Roulette are like the Thing, but with a universal hivemind and bullshit physics-breaking powers.

There's also the Flood from Halo now that I think about it, they're on about the same level as the Altered.

Flood need sentient minds to reproduce, I think; Altered have no need for such luxuries!

Thing is, in this scenario, we would need a bioweapon that kills everything then politely disperses into nothing. The Thing is effective, but it can go into stasis and god knows what it does with the biomass of a planet. Besides, it can reproduce asexually.
If only aliens couldn't lay their own eggs.

Drop an algae (or fungus, or whatever bioconstruct you need) that grows so quickly it's ridiculous, can act as a parasite on local fauna/flora, yet is very poisonous to eat for the natives (or at least, for the blue elves). Watch them starve out the natives, then spray whatever chemicals activate their molecular kill switch. Or just ignore the stuff and mine as needed.

Basicaly, kill them by outcompeting them or something, not via outright killing (since those things could then kill you if you go down to the planet).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 07:45:11 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 17, 2015, 07:48:07 am »

They sorta do? From what I got from Greg Bear's interpretation and what I've seen in general they can use biomass just fine, but they need brains, or as I suspect, intelligence - sci fi souls basically - in order to open the door for the insane space gods that are the hivemind behind the Flood.
Then once they get to high enough concentrations they just start editing reality to better suit them.
I suppose their hax artifacts also helped there.
Sig! Onol

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 17, 2015, 08:01:56 am »

Bioweapon? Just more humans. Spread a rumor that natives' bones are a powerful aphrodisiac and offer free rides to anyone who wants to go hunting.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: January 17, 2015, 08:02:26 am »

They sorta do? From what I got from Greg Bear's interpretation and what I've seen in general they can use biomass just fine, but they need brains, or as I suspect, intelligence - sci fi souls basically - in order to open the door for the insane space gods that are the hivemind behind the Flood.
Then once they get to high enough concentrations they just start editing reality to better suit them.
I suppose their hax artifacts also helped there.

Then why did they go dormant when the halo device killed all sentient species? It didn't kill all Flood, but they also coildn't just nom the galaxy while it was repopulating.

Mind, my knowledge of halo universe is spotty at best.

Bioweapon? Just more humans. Spread a rumor that natives' bones are a powerful aphrodisiac and offer free rides to anyone who wants to go hunting.

But Spacetrips are expensive!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 17, 2015, 08:24:08 am »

They didn't go dormant as far as I can tell, they got outright killed by it, but the Halos basically deleted the concept of sentience from the galaxy when they were activated, so no biggie there. The Flood that we see in the games got put into timelocks by some of the Forerunners because ... they were trying to study it to see if they could cure it or something? I dunno, some certain forerunners were so actively fucktarded I suspect the HMRC was piloting their actions.
Sig! Onol

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 17, 2015, 08:28:57 am »

They didn't go dormant as far as I can tell, they got outright killed by it, but the Halos basically deleted the concept of sentience from the galaxy when they were activated, so no biggie there. The Flood that we see in the games got put into timelocks by some of the Forerunners because ... they were trying to study it to see if they could cure it or something? I dunno, some certain forerunners were so actively fucktarded I suspect the HMRC was piloting their actions.

I'm gonna make that my headcannon now. Anytime a supposedly ancient civilisation does something really goddamn retarded, say their equivalent of the hmrc was responsible.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 17, 2015, 08:29:46 am »

But Spacetrips are expensive!
Trip there is free, but you recoup your money on the ticket back home.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: January 17, 2015, 08:34:28 am »

I don't think you'll be recouping much then.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: January 17, 2015, 08:39:29 am »

Basically. To give one example (and this one fucking guy was basically responsible for 90% of the fuckups of the forerunners) the Master Builder Faber, that is to say the head of the Builder caste, which at the time held political supremacy in the Forerunner Ecumene - this was also the guy who designed the Halos, so he also fits the HMRC brand in that he came up with a weapons idea that does this:
Hey, you know that weapon that assaults the physical concept of the grander living universe so badly it seemingly withdraws all thought from the volume of space affected?
He made a killing during the Forerunner-Flood war by rescuing ships that had been in combat and fixing them up, then reselling them at a higher price. Of course since he was a lazy fucker, he didn't have the ships inspected thoroughly enough so the dormant Flood on the ship always came back, infested the crew working there, and started fucking everything up.
He kept the Flood war a secret from the majority of the Ecumene for 300 years before it clusterfucked so wildly it started overrunning the galaxy.
At one point he dumped the effective military commander of the entire Ecumene in an area the Flood had occupied to the point that FTL travel no longer worked, essentially giving them perfect access to all their plans, as a political move.
No way he wasn't HMRC material.
Sig! Onol

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: January 17, 2015, 09:32:32 am »

HMRC? Her Majesty Revenue and Customs?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: January 17, 2015, 10:04:19 am »

HMRC? Her Majesty Revenue and Customs?

Hazardous materials requisition corps, from einsteinian roulette, aka the best rtd this side of the galactic equator.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: January 17, 2015, 10:31:02 am »

From widely published media I'd say John Carpenter's Thing as I said earlier, if only because it's so versatile; a single cell can start off a thing that'll eat the entire planet, and if it's dropped anywhere near sources of biomass it'll quickly spread out of control.

Well not exactly. The Thing is a lot more vulnerable then that (even if it tends to be upgraded in... every other media...). I cannot take a host over from a single cell and needs quite a few of them. As well the Thing actually has a size limit.

But yeah it would be kind of impossible to contain if it did start off in a jungle (assuming it can infect plant matter which speculation is... it can't). The only way to contain it at that point would be to firebomb it.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 88