Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130324 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #945 on: October 05, 2015, 12:05:21 pm »

Well the Dune Novels had an excuse. personal forcefield technology outstripped weapon technology. So now everyone was back to using swords.
In never quite figured out why then people didn't use lasers from afar to blow people up, with all those forcefield blowing up in thermonuclear fire when in contact with lasers. Or was it only for vehicles force fields?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: October 05, 2015, 12:07:58 pm »

Well the Dune Novels had an excuse. personal forcefield technology outstripped weapon technology. So now everyone was back to using swords.
In never quite figured out why then people didn't use lasers from afar to blow people up, with all those forcefield blowing up in thermonuclear fire when in contact with lasers. Or was it only for vehicles force fields?

Because the way it works is if you have a forcefield, and they have a forcefield... There is a feedback loop that keeps gathering in power and intensity that it CAN lead to exactly that.

Those lasers would have to be remote.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: October 05, 2015, 12:12:01 pm »

Because the way it works is if you have a forcefield, and they have a forcefield... There is a feedback loop that keeps gathering in power and intensity that it CAN lead to exactly that.

Those lasers would have to be remote.
Oh right! My dune-fu is really rusty. But remote lasers seems like an option, just equip them on a robo....afadhfdhaghh...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: October 05, 2015, 12:17:47 pm »

Yep, you just stumbled into the other big barrier to that plan.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: October 05, 2015, 02:57:59 pm »

Yeah, Dune's laser forcefield interaction was strange an unpredictable. A blast with variable yield and a variable explosion point. Sometimes it blows up the enemy, sometimes the shooter.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: October 05, 2015, 04:25:20 pm »

After Earth... the mind boggling stupidity of overcomplicated solutions piling all over.
You had me at "After Earth".  So many flaws with that movie, as I recall.  Exactly what the flaws were, I have forgotten.  As a necessary part of trying to forget After Earth in its entirety.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #951 on: October 06, 2015, 04:11:51 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #952 on: October 06, 2015, 03:19:07 pm »

The laser AND the shield blows up.

Still, trading one dude with a laser for an entire enemy division is good tactics.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: October 06, 2015, 03:33:40 pm »

6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: October 06, 2015, 03:56:22 pm »

Still, trading one dude with a laser for an entire enemy division is good tactics.

Sure you just have to be suicidal.

Though part of me questions how much of an enemy division could really be blown up. Given that an explosion would be blocked by the shields as well.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: October 06, 2015, 05:46:56 pm »

A couple of no-spoiler nitpicks regarding The Martian (which, on the whole, I found quite good, so not ruined, but certainly a stand-out issue in such a decent representation)...

One: Says a technically-trained person, "Wind velocity is twenty-one point forty-one metres per second" (or very similar).  I can't believe that any technically-trained person (in NASA, no less) would specify decimals in such a manner.  And, if they do, I hope they're ashamed of themselves.

Two: The trajectories of the crew transitioning from the Hermes central corridor to the 'spoke' corridor down to the habitat appeared to consistently exhibit a curve.  Treating it as a non-rotating frame of reference, the angled push-off of the central corridor would be straight (as a diagonal), and then upon entering the 'down-spoke' you contact the tube-wall before you start going straight down it.  Treating it as a rotating frame of reference, you'd have to account for the Coriolis forces and aim ahead (to the turn-wise wall) and still wait until you contacted it before you'd curve in that direction.  In neither case would you execute a graceful dive.  (And I'd be doubtful about going in head-first, given you need to make sure you quickly tuck in to go feet-first down the ladder, however stylishly it seems they get to slid down to the apparently 1G end-node.  You don't want to risk not getting a hold and being flung out head-first/downwards, by being propelled by the withershins edge of the spoke-tube.  However, they've had months and months and months to get their space-legs.  Even if they couldn't defy the laws of momentum.)

I'll avoid the spoilerish nitpicks, for now.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #956 on: October 06, 2015, 11:48:52 pm »

Though part of me questions how much of an enemy division could really be blown up. Given that an explosion would be blocked by the shields as well.

You are familiar with the Fremen, yes? The only reason they'd hesitate would be to dehydrate themselves so they don't inadvertently vaporize useful water.

As for the shields, they're transparent. Even if they protected against the blast wave, the heat alone would destroy quite a large enemy force.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: October 07, 2015, 12:34:47 am »

One: Says a technically-trained person, "Wind velocity is twenty-one point forty-one metres per second" (or very similar).  I can't believe that any technically-trained person (in NASA, no less) would specify decimals in such a manner.  And, if they do, I hope they're ashamed of themselves.

How should a technical person have put it?
Love, scriver~

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: October 07, 2015, 12:49:20 am »

Twenty-one point four-one I would assume? Twenty-one point forty-one sounds kinda strange to me.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #959 on: October 07, 2015, 01:07:47 am »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 88