Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130278 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #960 on: October 07, 2015, 03:48:45 am »

Twenty-one point four-one I would assume? Twenty-one point forty-one sounds kinda strange to me.
Indeed.  It's the way I'd expect (or at least, accept) a non-technical actor to say a technical character's dialogue, but even then I've got to question their early-years mathematics education if they ever got into that habit.

Say there's two readings: "[zero] point seven" and "[zero] point fourteen".  Quick, which is largest?  And what's the factor between them?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, since I wrote my original post, I've half a memory that the original quote was more like "coming in at(/from?) 21.41 degrees", instead.  It is part of the first few minutes of the movie, so I had a long time to dwell on my main nitpick, whilst forgetting the precise context.

However, this would (as also with the velocity version, but that to a lesser degree) raise the question about undue accuracy with inherently inaccurate details: measured from a distance (satellite images?), at a distance (it's still incoming, with plenty of arguably-inaccurate local geology more than capable of changing nature of the eddies over the base).  That's a precision of less than three parts in a hundred thousand across the whole horizontal circle.  And if she was militarily trained, as I think the character concerned was, "zero two one" or rounded/truncated to "zero two zero"/"zero two" would have come more naturally.  More than enough precision for any purpose, to just the degree, and possibly even to five/ten-degrees of rounding.  Especially noting the thought processes regarding the possibly precision around a circle, later on in the film for the <spoiler element> part of the plot...)

..but I'm only obsessing over this because I like the whole film, and because this is a nitpick that can be safely aired without spoiling a plot-point by spilling too many details.

(Unlike the thing-under-the-flag.  At the edge of a crater?  A potentially scientifically interesting point, where it might also naturally become uncovered under wind action?  And when, amazingly, an unmarked something in the middle of a plain, can easily be found.  Ok, so maybe it makes it more likely that the flag won't be buried, but at the risk that it becomes uprooted; unless both it and the thing is also drilled somewhat into crater-edge bedrock.  Someone who has read the book might know more than the film let on.  I've heard there's differences, though.)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 03:53:54 am by Starver »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: October 07, 2015, 07:44:09 pm »

This doesn't really ruin the film, but In the 2004 version of the Phantom of the Opera the phantom isn't disfigured, he has body dysmorphic disorder. When his mask comes off his face just has some minor discoloration.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:45:55 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: October 11, 2015, 09:00:18 pm »

Not a specific movie, but one thing that irks me is movie/TV universes where Life is Cheap/Anyone Can Die. But only when it intersects with ridiculous Character Shields or plot immunity. It strains credibility even more than an universe where weapons always miss or "it's just a flesh wound" are everywhere.

It's not as noticeable in movies because, well, main character usually only survive two or three more encounters than cannon fodder since movies are much shorter. Like, why everyone dies but Han Solo? Well, he was only like in 3 deadly situations, not 100. But then a Companion is constantly in danger and the bad guys always miss or merely CHOOSE not to kill him/her (without even knowing who he is). But that guy in the grocery store? Dead. Woman reading newspaper? Dead. Every hostage in the bank? Terrorists decide to kill 99 and only keep the Support Character at random as a hostage, who is the same person that survived fifty similar situations.

Like I said, if nobody dies or people die only rarely or if they're stupid, well, it's easier to stomach than aliens EXTERMINATE EVERYONE ON SIGHT but then the support character is standing in the last remaining untouched 2 foot-diameter disc of floor AGAIN.

I ramble because I'm a bit tired, heh...

Noyemi K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Delmun Soft
« Reply #963 on: October 11, 2015, 09:16:02 pm »

Usually it's mountains of firearms use nitpicks in popular films. I can't watch Tarantino movies because of my fundamental disagreement with gun kata.

"Oh god he's sweeping his friend with a loaded revolver! AND his finger's inside the trigger guard!! This asshole's trained?!" -boom, suspension of disbelief broken.

Also, movies with hackers. Can't watch a single one because they are so ridiculous, it's like hollywood thinks computers are magical boxes that do arcane things when you type cheat codes into them.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #964 on: October 11, 2015, 10:30:38 pm »

On the guns thing. Hero shoots a goon in, say, the upper arm? That guy is dead before he hits the floor. Hero gets shot in the upper chest? He can muscle through for an hour or so until he gets some gauze put over in the back of an ambulance at the end of the movie.

Taken with a grain of salt since, hey, when I play tabletop games I use those exact same rules for my goons/PCs.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: October 11, 2015, 10:31:28 pm »

On the guns thing. Hero shoots a goon in, say, the upper arm? That guy is dead before he hits the floor. Hero gets shot in the upper chest? He can muscle through for an hour or so until he gets some gauze put over in the back of an ambulance at the end of the movie.

Taken with a grain of salt since, hey, when I play tabletop games I use those exact same rules for my goons/PCs.

But in all fairness in tabletop it is just because you want the goons freeken out of the way.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: October 11, 2015, 10:55:23 pm »

Usually it's mountains of firearms use nitpicks in popular films. I can't watch Tarantino movies because of my fundamental disagreement with gun kata.

"Oh god he's sweeping his friend with a loaded revolver! AND his finger's inside the trigger guard!! This asshole's trained?!" -boom, suspension of disbelief broken.

Also, movies with hackers. Can't watch a single one because they are so ridiculous, it's like hollywood thinks computers are magical boxes that do arcane things when you type cheat codes into them.
At least the gun part kinda spawned a major subplot in Pulp Fiction.

Movie hacking though... Yeah it's like watching clowns.  I'm so used to it and it's so ridiculous that I kinda just enjoy it at this point.
Like that CSI or whatever where the entire government is getting hacked, and Gibbs finds the servers doing it, but they're running out of time so he shoots all the monitors and it works.  Also I think that episode had a gamer who was at the top of a dozen MMORPGs (who of course was a cute chick who flirted with the team geek).
Of course that episode was so absurdly over the top that it *had* to be trying to make people laugh.  I'm sure even the average viewer understood that it was being kinda silly.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: October 11, 2015, 11:30:49 pm »

Ugh, they made a whole series called CSI Cyber from the concept of bad Hollywood hacking...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: October 11, 2015, 11:52:11 pm »

That sounds awesome though. Did it hack computers by shooting them? I want a hacking sniper rifle now.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: October 11, 2015, 11:52:49 pm »

Psh! And how does that exclude the videogame AND movie where someone manages to computer hack someone's brain?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: October 12, 2015, 07:28:41 am »

Psh! And how does that exclude the videogame AND movie where someone manages to computer hack someone's brain?
Lawnmower Man's in your head now.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: October 12, 2015, 07:35:49 am »

Lawnmower Man's in your head now.

Well not quite what I meant. Especially since Lawmowerman is about them sort of developing a technology-brain interface.

I mean one where someone hacks this woman's brain by hacking into her brain wave monitor.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: October 12, 2015, 07:42:32 am »

That is like trying to fill the gas tank by manually moving the needle of the gauge.  That is not how measuring equipment generally works.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: October 12, 2015, 08:45:32 am »

Well, certainly not with that attitude!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: October 12, 2015, 03:52:02 pm »

idspispod

I love it (in an ironic fashion, that is) when you can recognise the 'encrypted code' someone is hacking as some random data dump from some obviously-not-encrypted-code source.

A favourite back in the '80s seemed to be using a rapidly-scrolling "DEBUG COMMAND.COM" (or similar).  These days it seems it tends to be a javalike (or, more generally, across the whole C-family, though I've not seen Python yet) code listing, when they haven't actually put the effort into putting together something else, whether it appears at through a bog standard command/shell prompt in a mundane a 'realistic' hacker situation or in a weird 'holographic floating window' for ones using a futuretech-style interface.

That's (usually) when it's not intended to be 'real' data.  As in the random bitplane of seeming-nonsense that the hacker-system projects in the air in front of the puzzled co-protagonists, before one of them is struck by inspiration and makes some control-gestures to add depth-information and rotates the whole horizontally to show that it's a topological map.

Anyway, a note to future film critics: Should I ever 'code noise' to a film, that isn't actually intended to be so deconstructed on-screen, my 'pseudoencryption' may well be in some permutation of Perl.  (As will any filmic-pseudocode.  Which will be actual code. Stripped of most comments and with unintuitive line-feeds and whitespace.  And if I can make it actually be an intended easter-egg for those who can frame-grab, I will.)

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/perl/if/this/bit/isn't/a/giveaway(but|seriously|change|this|bit|as|required)
$eat=qq|7S/K,dEy"geDbqzw-MC[ P#)'aT=N2ju1ktWvsB\ncIG(Ur:xh0.fi6AnO3]9ml84p5o7hA|
.qq|vSk3xGvk[S#c\nSm3ywxpxEwbtckSKw=cWWe"W,Myj]z//W/,Bryj]z//W/,Bx8Gk3cW,,,zWzW|
.qq|zBgNqEjS4xySuw3jxiwk[x[G=t3#jMx0Gb(kxiGk=[xGxjwb]E3xSb3xn3=Gvj3xk[3mxG#3xjS|
.qq|x#w8w=vESvj4xwk(jxEwt3x[SEEmiSS8xk[wbtjx=SyKvk3#jxG#3xyG]w=GExnS 3jxk[Gkx8S|
.qq|xG#=Gb3xk[wb]jxi[3bxmSvxkmK3x=[3Gkx=S83jxwbkSxk[3yMNh5AvSk3gNw8jKwjKS8NNTxE|
.qq|Su3xwkx'wbxGbxw#Sbw=x-Gj[wSb4xk[GkxwjUxi[3bxmSvx=Gbx#3=S]bwj3xk[3x(3b=#mKk3|
.qq|8x=S83(xjSy3Sb3xwjx[G=twb]xGjxjSy3x#Gb8Syx8GkGx8vyKx-#SyxjSy3xSnuwSvjEmfbSk|
.qq|f3b=#mKk38f=S83xjSv#=3MNNqx-GuSv#wk3xnG=txwbxk[3x(dCjxj33y38xkSxn3xvjwb]xGx|
.qq|#GKw8Emfj=#SEEwb]x9Ol2)ax0D..q\nOM0D.9x'S#xjwywEG#UMxxI[3j3x8Gmjxwkxj33yjxw|
.qq|kxk3b8jxkSxn3xGxsGuGEwt3x'S#4xyS#3x]3b3#GEEm4xG=#Sjjxk[3xi[SE3x0f-GywEm4xk[|
.qq|Sv][xT(u3xbSkxj33bx:mk[Sbxm3kUx=S83xEwjkwb]4xi[3bxk[3mx[Gu3b(kxG=kvGEEmxKvk|
.qq|xk[3x3--S#kxwbkSxKvkkwb]xkS]3k[3#xjSy3k[wb]x3Ej34xi[3k[3#xwkxGKK3G#jxGkxk[#|
.qq|Sv][xGxnS]xjkGb8G#8x=SyyGb85j[3EExK#SyKkxwbxGxyvb8Gb3xGx(#3GEwjkw=(x[G=t3#x|
.qq|jwkvGkwSbxS#xwbxGxi3w#8x([SES]#GK[w=x-ESGkwb]xiwb8Si(x-S#xSb3jxvjwb]xGx-vkv|
.qq|#3k3=[fjkmE3xwbk3#-G=3MNNI[Gk(jx'vjvGEEmUxi[3bxwk(jxbSkxwbk3b838xkSxhwgn3h5|
.qq|wgx(#3GE(x8GkGMxxqjxwbxk[3x#Gb8SyxnwkKEGb3xS-xj33ywb]fbSbj3bj3xk[Gkxk[3x[G=|
.qq|t3#fjmjk3yxK#Ss3=kjxwbxk[3xGw#xwbx-#SbkxS-xk[3xKv66E38x=SfK#SkG]Sbwjkj4xn3-|
.qq|S#3xSb3xS-xk[3yxwjxjk#v=txnmxwbjKw#GkwSbxGb8xyGt3jxjSy3x=Sbk#SEf]3jkv#3jxkS|
.qq|xG88x83Kk[fwb-S#yGkwSbxGb8x#SkGk3jxk[3xi[SE3x[S#w6SbkGEEmxkSxj[Sixk[Gkxwk(j|
.qq|xGxkSKSES]w=GExyGKMNNqbmiGm4xGxbSk3xkSx-vkv#3x-wEyx=#wkw=jPxo[SvE8xTx3u3#x(|
.qq|=S83xbSwj3(xkSxGx-wEy4xk[Gkxwjb(kxG=kvGEEmxwbk3b838xkSxn3xjSx83=Sbjk#v=k38x|
.qq|Sbfj=#33b4xymx(Kj3v8S3b=#mKkwSb(xyGmxi3EExn3xwbxjSy3xK3#yvkGkwSbxS-x:3#EMxx|
.qq|'qjxiwEExGbmx-wEyw=fKj3v8S=S83Mxx1[w=[xiwEExn3xhwgG=kvGEh5wgx=S83Mxok#wKK38|
.qq|xS-xySjkx=Syy3bkjxGb8xiwk[xvbwbkvwkwu3xEwb3f-338jxGb8xi[wk3jKG=3Mxxqb8xw-xT|
.qq|x=GbxyGt3xwkxG=kvGEEmxn3xGbxwbk3b838x3Gjk3#f3]]x-S#xk[Sj3xi[Sx=Gbx-#Gy3f]#G|
.qq|n4xTxiwEEMU|;$wheat=substr $eat,0,1,'';$eat=~s/(^[^$wheat]*?)$wheat//;@never
=split('',$1);for(0..$#never){$soaked{$never[$_]}=$never[$#never-$_]}while($eat)
{print $soaked{substr$eat,0,1,""}}
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 88