Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004142 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #495 on: August 15, 2012, 09:48:33 pm »

Not prison, jail. Big difference bro. :)

And yeah, it is.

I'm almost a felon. We'd be better off getting Truean to do it. :P

They can order you to attend AA, which is a religious organization, and also one that relies on anonymity. They then force you to keep a sheet saying you went to a meeting, and they can call the chairperson to ask if you were in a meeting. A meeting that no one is supposed to say anyone was at. Because of anonymity. Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of AA.
They're not allowed to tell the caller if you were there or not. So they can just send you to fucking jail because some ex-alcoholic wouldn't violate the rules of the club. Isn't the justice system so organized, well thought out, and efficient?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 15, 2012, 10:03:10 pm »

EDIT: forget what I said. Making myself look silly again.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 10:20:18 pm by darkrider2 »

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 15, 2012, 10:16:16 pm »

america need I say more?
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 15, 2012, 10:22:20 pm »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:15:45 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 15, 2012, 10:24:23 pm »

The refusal of the breath test is a mandatory 1 year license suspension in that particular case. Here one is presumed to consent by virtue of merely having a driver's license and driving upon the roads. Should this be unconstitutional? I believe so. Why is it not, because a judge would be lynched if he said it were not by groups of people who hate the very souls of drunk drivers. Meh
So you're saying someone in America should be allowed to drive drunk, then refuse a breath test, and get off without punishment?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 15, 2012, 10:24:41 pm »

Truean speaks the truth.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 15, 2012, 10:27:19 pm »

The refusal of the breath test is a mandatory 1 year license suspension in that particular case. Here one is presumed to consent by virtue of merely having a driver's license and driving upon the roads. Should this be unconstitutional? I believe so. Why is it not, because a judge would be lynched if he said it were not by groups of people who hate the very souls of drunk drivers. Meh.
I don't see why the unpopularity is such a problem with making a very clear ruling in this instance. That judges rule until death, retirement, or disbarment, are appointed instead of elected, and can do almost anything without fear of being challenged is all in the name of facilitating objective rulings free of public bias or threat.

What are MADD going to do, protest? You can't protest a judge out of office.
The refusal of the breath test is a mandatory 1 year license suspension in that particular case. Here one is presumed to consent by virtue of merely having a driver's license and driving upon the roads. Should this be unconstitutional? I believe so. Why is it not, because a judge would be lynched if he said it were not by groups of people who hate the very souls of drunk drivers. Meh
So you're saying someone in America should be allowed to drive drunk, then refuse a breath test, and get off without punishment?
So you're saying someone in America should be punished without trial for exercising their rights?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 15, 2012, 10:29:33 pm »

You have to watch hidden agendas used in passing laws. e.g. here (NSW Australia) me and a friend were watching the news several years back, the state police raided ~200 suspected pedophiles houses in a big operation, without search warrants, found computer evidence, and charged about 60 people.

The courts were going to throw the charges out due to the illegal searches, so the state parliament passed a special retro-active law, that said that police could search premises "on suspicion" of a criminal act having been conducted, and apply for a search warrant only if, and after, evidence was found.

They knew exactly what they were doing when they raided the houses without search warrants, and then the state government used the divisive "pedohpile" issue to ram through laws enabling police to kick any door in without court issued warrants, for any "suspected" crime. e.g. drugs. Me and my friend were both outraged, but a third friend who wasn't so bright, was cheering on the new law: "but it's a law against pedophiles!".

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 15, 2012, 10:31:15 pm »

So you're saying someone in America should be punished without trial for exercising their rights?
Not necessarily, but if they refuse to take the breath test what do you think should happen to them? If someone is refusing a test it is pretty much exclusively because they are in fact drunk, breaking the law and endangering the lives of innocent drivers. If they don't take the test then, then evidence of their crime is being lost.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 15, 2012, 10:34:21 pm »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:15:20 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 15, 2012, 10:36:54 pm »

No.

I'm saying there should be a probable cause requirement rather than BS implied consent. Don't call it "consent" when it isn't. I'm saying they shouldn't make an exception to the search rules to bow to popular demand.

Also the country doesn't have uniform laws, so as far as my state goes only....
Well when you accept a drivers license (at least in my state), you are agreeing to either take a breath test or have your license revoked for a year if you are pulled over and suspected of DUI.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 15, 2012, 10:37:51 pm »

Hmm. Shouldn't there be paperwork stating that?
He's fucking with us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 15, 2012, 10:39:47 pm »

Not necessarily, but if they refuse to take the breath test what do you think should happen to them?
If the police cannot prove reasonable suspicion of illegal drunkenness? Nothing. If they can, they can make an arrest and get a warrant for a test from the magistrate. Obviously this will lead to reduced sentences, but liberty trumps justice.
If someone is refusing a test it is pretty much exclusively because they are in fact drunk, breaking the law and endangering the lives of innocent drivers.
Not really. Some people wish to minimize interaction with the police since interacting with the police tends to lead to you being arrested. If I drove and could do so without having my license unjustly suspended I would refuse such a test regardless of the circumstances.
If they don't take the test then, then evidence of their crime is being lost.
If suspects cannot be compelled to answer questions in interrogation, evidence of crimes is being lost. Does that mean you shouldn't have the right to remain silent anyway? No, of course not. As before, I stand by my principle: Liberty trumps justice.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 15, 2012, 10:41:21 pm »

There was. Maybe it's just because I'm younger than you guys or maybe it's because I'm in a different state or something, but when I went to the DMV I had to agree to either take a breath test or get my license suspended if I was pulled over and suspected of being drunk.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 15, 2012, 10:41:52 pm »

Not really something they said but Some new Cadillacs have completely touchscreen controls on the dash, which basically means you have to take your eyes off the road to click the buttons since they have no tactile feel. if mobile phones, even hands-free is too distracting/dangerous, then obviously visual-only touchscreen buttons to control things in the actual car is a bad idea.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 510