Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002255 times)

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #660 on: August 18, 2012, 09:05:10 pm »

Is it bad that if I was in these situations, I would imagine ripping these people's throats out with my little finger?
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: August 18, 2012, 09:06:55 pm »

Or there's the fact that you can end up as a Super Mutant in Broken Hills' bitch if you lose an arm wrestling match with him. You even get to keep the ballgag.
Yeah that happened to me ;(. That fucker cheated by using a powerfist. I had Marcus and Sulik beat him to death though and I felt better.

The Psychic Nullifier does look like bondage gear... and imagine the filthy limits you could stretch "FEV" to...
Now that you mention it, it does... Hey, isn't there a psychic kid in Fallout: New Vegas who wears one and lives under a bridge? Oh God.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 18, 2012, 09:09:03 pm »

Is it bad that if I was in these situations, I would imagine ripping these people's throats out with my little finger?
Well, it's bad for me. I imagined dislocating my little finger. Oh, the imaginary pain!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: August 19, 2012, 12:48:29 am »

better punishment: Maximumzero (or one of his clones) visits you every hour to facepunch you.
I'll work in shifts.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 19, 2012, 02:31:37 am »

"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 19, 2012, 02:37:41 am »

I hate to burst the "lolstupidpeople" party, but much like the "my specifically male anatomy got stuck in the CD drive" my brother got, it was probably fake.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #667 on: August 19, 2012, 03:50:57 am »

Well, whether or not it's because I'm Asian (you decide xD), I not only love PvP in Dungeon Fighter Online, I'm pretty good at it too.

So, when I play it in the US, I usually beat the opponent six ways to death, and sometimes he goes HAXX or YOU CHEAT or LAG.
I don't have any screen shots, but it's true. :s One guy accused me of being Asian. I told him I was. He doesn't reply and leaves.

On the other side of the pond, when I PvP in Korea, and I beat the opponent to death without a scratch, the opponent more often compliments me on my prowess than curses me for my skill. xD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 19, 2012, 04:01:56 am »

That's because rule number one of being an American gamer is that if you lose it was somebody else's fault. Either the game malfunctioned, the ref made a bad call, or your computer network connection lagged, but it obviously wasn't your fault.

I've got to say that in some ways I prefer playing with asians because they actually understand the level of skill and are willing to accept that others are better rather then cursing you out because they lost. Then I lose horribly to one who I can't even touch and I feel this incredible urge to default back to american gamer rule number 1. :P

In reality the real reason is because a large portion of americans have decided that the best way to deal with losing is to simply mock anybody who beats them and call them things like "try hards". As such it has even started to take on a type of insulting air to it, though I still don't get exactly how calling somebody a "try hard" is an insult. I mean that's the second biggest point of a game after all, to win (right after enjoying yourself that is).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 19, 2012, 04:31:50 am »

I hate to burst the "lolstupidpeople" party, but much like the "my specifically male anatomy got stuck in the CD drive" my brother got, it was probably fake.

I can vouch that there ARE users "in the wild" who are every bit as dumb about computers as those examples.

One example from personal experience was an old guy who looked up his bank details at an internet cafe, saved the resulting page onto a floppy disk.

He then asked me why, when he got the html on his floppy disk home it didn't "keep track" of his bank account details.

I tried, and failed to explain to him that his home computer needed to be connected to the internet to update the page with the correct details, he just didn't get it.

So i'm inclined to believe most of those stories since I've encountered dumber people.

Also my ex believed that if she turned the sound on the TV down it would reduce the recording volume on her VHS recorder, i tried to explain that the signal is "one way" for years literally, even ran tests to prove it to her, but she never fully believed it and i gave up talking to her about it.

Anyway, many those tech support examples have been around at least 20 years now from Usenet, even before the web existed, notice the tech that's getting supported - 386 sx-25's, Wordperfect, Win3.1, DOS etc. the "recent" ones involve dial-up internet services and AOL etc. For many users of that era, it was their first exposure to PCs at all. People literally were confused about terms like "desktop" which basically came in with win95
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 04:58:03 am by Reelya »

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 19, 2012, 12:33:03 pm »

That's because rule number one of being an American gamer is that if you lose it was somebody else's fault. Either the game malfunctioned, the ref made a bad call, or your computer network connection lagged, but it obviously wasn't your fault.

I've got to say that in some ways I prefer playing with asians because they actually understand the level of skill and are willing to accept that others are better rather then cursing you out because they lost. Then I lose horribly to one who I can't even touch and I feel this incredible urge to default back to american gamer rule number 1. :P

In reality the real reason is because a large portion of americans have decided that the best way to deal with losing is to simply mock anybody who beats them and call them things like "try hards". As such it has even started to take on a type of insulting air to it, though I still don't get exactly how calling somebody a "try hard" is an insult. I mean that's the second biggest point of a game after all, to win (right after enjoying yourself that is).

I don't like playing with Asians, because the only games I play that has a large Asian following are Starcraft/Starcraft II. And those Koreans are way. Too. Dedicated. To those games.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 19, 2012, 12:49:54 pm »

You're just not dedicated enough!

Anywho, people just love to absolve themselves of responsibility, even with trivial stuff like this. Hell, even the people who admit they aren't as good at a game tend to throw stupid shit like "YOU PLAY THE GAME TOO SRSLY" as if their laid back approach is fundamentally superior and that any dedication and sophistication is shameful.

Pro tip: The douchebags in games, be they munchkins or elitists or haughty newbies or whatever, all have one thing in common: They think their method of playing the game is the "right" way, and anyone else is "doing it wrong." Don't be one of those.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 19, 2012, 12:53:48 pm »

Anywho, people just love to absolve themselves of responsibility, even with trivial stuff like this. Hell, even the people who admit they aren't as good at a game tend to throw stupid shit like "YOU PLAY THE GAME TOO SRSLY" as if their laid back approach is fundamentally superior and that any dedication and sophistication is shameful.

Pro tip: The douchebags in games, be they munchkins or elitists or haughty newbies or whatever, all have one thing in common: They think their method of playing the game is the "right" way, and anyone else is "doing it wrong." Don't be one of those.

That wasn't supposed to be my implication. I was just commenting that I'm not fond of Asians in MP games solely because my only experience with them is getting crushed by Koreans at Starcraft. I realize it's a silly prejudice, both against Asians and hardcore gamers, but that's just the way I think.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: August 19, 2012, 12:58:17 pm »

Realizing it's silly is the first step toward moving past it :)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 19, 2012, 12:58:56 pm »

Well, whether or not it's because I'm Asian (you decide xD), I not only love PvP in Dungeon Fighter Online, I'm pretty good at it too.

It's well known that Asian has a racial bonus of +50 to videogame playing.  :P

You obviously haven't played with Brazilians on League of Legends, if you think it's strictly an American thing. There's nothing like being raged at in Portuguese or even better, horribly broken English.

That said, there probably are some cultural traits that minimize the number of asshole Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, etc. in online games (although message boards are an entirely different matter).

Personally, if I get schooled by someone in a match, I make a point of congratulating them afterwards. That's netted me a surprisingly large number of friends requests over time.

That wasn't supposed to be my implication. I was just commenting that I'm not fond of Asians in MP games solely because my only experience with them is getting crushed by Koreans at Starcraft. I realize it's a silly prejudice, both against Asians and hardcore gamers, but that's just the way I think.
There is no shame in losing at SC to Koreans. That's like losing a looting-and-pillaging contest to Vikings.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 510