Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004388 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #1305 on: September 27, 2012, 03:34:10 pm »

I'd hardly call that an achievement. That's like accidentally dropping a safe unto a robber, then claiming yourself to be a hero.
Well, it was the first step. Go all the way to Alexandria and you get stuff like the Hippocratic oath and the great library.
Then the dark ages happened.
:(
Which, actually, were'nt as Dark as many people think them to be. Quite a few interesting things were build and destroyed in those periods.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: September 27, 2012, 03:35:10 pm »

But that wasn't Egypt advancing on their own. Alexandria was settled by Alexander the Great with his party of Macedonians/Greeks, who brought along Greek culture and philosophy. Also the Dark Ages happened far before the settlement of Alexandria (the Greek ones at least).

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: September 27, 2012, 03:38:02 pm »

But that wasn't Egypt advancing on their own. Alexandria was settled by Alexander the Great with his party of Macedonians/Greeks, who brought along Greek culture and philosophy. Also the Dark Ages happened far before the settlement of Alexandria (the Greek ones at least).
The Egyptians did make quite a lot of advancements. Several have been referred to before.

The most important one is that stacking a giant heap off stone on your grave equals to placing a "Rob me sign"

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: September 27, 2012, 03:38:38 pm »

Well seeing as how they believed the only purpose of the brain was to produce mucus, and thoughts took place in the heart, I doubt the brain surgery thing.
I believe the tale went as follows.

Important person is attacked by dog, dog bites important person in the head, fracturing the skull. The egyptian surgeon removes the pieces of the skull that got stuck inside the brain.

Then the patient somehow survived.
My understanding was they drilled small holes in people's skulls to relieve pressure resulting from swelling in the brain.
This actualy works and does help the pateint but modern methods of dealing with such things are way better and aren't done with a spoon drill.
From a society that did believe the brain just made mucus that's a big step.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: September 27, 2012, 03:49:27 pm »

Well seeing as how they believed the only purpose of the brain was to produce mucus, and thoughts took place in the heart, I doubt the brain surgery thing.
I believe the tale went as follows.

Important person is attacked by dog, dog bites important person in the head, fracturing the skull. The egyptian surgeon removes the pieces of the skull that got stuck inside the brain.

Then the patient somehow survived.
My understanding was they drilled small holes in people's skulls to relieve pressure resulting from swelling in the brain.
This actualy works and does help the pateint but modern methods of dealing with such things are way better and aren't done with a spoon drill.
From a society that did believe the brain just made mucus that's a big step.
Yep. Trepanning was and still is a thing, mostly because it works. It's still used regularly today for a few modern surgeries.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: September 27, 2012, 03:55:07 pm »

You guys really should keep in mind that ancient Egypt was around for a really, really, really long time, as in three thousand years, by the time western civilization was starting to take it's baby steps, it had lived, flourished, and "died" in a really ridiculous time span. It really went through a lot of changes in beliefs, culture, and practises during that time period.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1311 on: September 27, 2012, 03:56:07 pm »

Which, actually, were'nt as Dark as many people think them to be. Quite a few interesting things were build and destroyed in those periods.
Dark as in so little was recorded of it :)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: September 27, 2012, 04:08:29 pm »

Also because nobody in Europe bathed except the damned heretics.

3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: September 27, 2012, 04:09:24 pm »

Dammed heretic, here. In desperate need of a hair dryer, in fact.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: September 27, 2012, 04:10:14 pm »

Does bathing in the blood of virgins count?

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: September 27, 2012, 04:12:58 pm »

Does bathing in the blood of virgins count?

No, but feeding them to dragons still counts.

I mean, if you're looking for Satanist street cred or whatever.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: September 27, 2012, 04:14:52 pm »

Depends which dark ages you're talking about. In the early middle ages people bathed, it was only around the late middle ages until about the beginning of the colonial period that people didn't bathe... During the renaissance when the term "dark ages" was coined, people still didn't bathe, and wouldn't for quite some time.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: September 27, 2012, 04:19:55 pm »

Depends which dark ages you're talking about. In the early middle ages people bathed, it was only around the late middle ages until about the beginning of the colonial period that people didn't bathe... During the renaissance when the term "dark ages" was coined, people still didn't bathe, and wouldn't for quite some time.
Hence the strike-through.

3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: September 27, 2012, 04:44:35 pm »

Wrongely so, I dare say! In the Northern Europe, bathing never went out of fashion. Not even when they tried outlawing it. Well, the common folks, that is. Nobles were naaaaasty.
Love, scriver~

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: September 27, 2012, 05:15:53 pm »

Wrongely so, I dare say! In the Northern Europe, bathing never went out of fashion. Not even when they tried outlawing it. Well, the common folks, that is. Nobles were naaaaasty.
And as semi-proto-dorfs, we all knew what to do with the nobles.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 510