Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002223 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #2265 on: October 17, 2012, 11:16:16 am »

Carrots are vegetables too, so I don't see the issue there. Except maybe for the fact that carrots don't have creeping tentacles of doom.
Would you consider something that has creeping tentacles of doom a vegetable?
Yes.

∵I don't eat most kinds vegetables.
∵Horrorterrors, eg. Cfoofoo, have tentacles of doom.
∵I don't eat most kinds of horrorterrors.
∴Horrorterrors are vegetables.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: October 17, 2012, 11:18:59 am »

-Allied with Hitler.

FAIL :P

And the only ones to do that and not get conquered.

Seriously though, there is a lot of debate among Finnish historians on wether or not Finland allied with Germany or if they just were at war with a common foe. For the record, I think that yes, Finland did ally with Germany.

Well, there's also Sweden. Although they weren't 100% allied either, just really, really good friends ;)
Germany did have quite the interest in Sweden's balls and bars of steel...
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: October 17, 2012, 11:26:42 am »

Carrots are vegetables too, so I don't see the issue there. Except maybe for the fact that carrots don't have creeping tentacles of doom.
They don't? I must have a chat with my grocer then. I KNEW creeping tentacles of doom is not proof they're ripe!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: October 17, 2012, 01:12:47 pm »

Does this count?
It's a scan of someone else's so while I didn't hear it, I have heard something extremely similar, so I'll just put it here.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My story was more or less the same as this, getting punished for defying authority, despite being right.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2269 on: October 17, 2012, 01:21:15 pm »

Because I AM TEACHER AND I AM RIGHT WHETHER OR NOT MY INFORMATION IS CORRECT

RESPECT! MAH! AUTHORITAH!
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: October 17, 2012, 01:31:43 pm »

My experience with public schools has been that they care about teaching obedience to authority just as much as English and Biology.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: October 17, 2012, 01:43:57 pm »

Had a similar occurrence in 2nd grade. We were learning about the Solar System. Textbook asked, "Which planet do you think is the hottest?"

I answered Venus (because I KNEW it was hotter by virtue of having read it in many other books, even if I was only dimly aware of the reasons why).

Teacher marked it wrong. I fought her on it, and even brought in the encyclopedia from the library to prove my case. She said, "Yes but you weren't supposed to cheat. You were supposed to answer it based on the information the book gave you."

I responded with, "The book says which one do I *think* is hotter. I *think* Venus is hotter, BECAUSE IT IS."

It was shortly after this that my grandparents had a meeting with the teacher and principal and it was decided to move me up to 3rd grade after Christmas break.  :P

And I have endeavored to instill that same attitude in my daughter now that she's in kindergarten. If you know you're right, and have evidence to back you up, then you stick to it, dammit! Unfortunately, this has backfired to a degree in that she's already learning to play rules-lawyer with me. And she's pretty damn good at it.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: October 17, 2012, 01:48:43 pm »

And I have endeavored to instill that same attitude in my daughter now that she's in kindergarten. If you know you're right, and have evidence to back you up, then you stick to it, dammit! Unfortunately, this has backfired to a degree in that she's already learning to play rules-lawyer with me. And she's pretty damn good at it. 
As a game master, I feel your pain.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: October 17, 2012, 01:56:31 pm »

*snip*
I should probably consider myself lucky that I never got points taken away for giving imaginary numbers as answers during the time period where that was an alien concept to students.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: October 17, 2012, 02:01:11 pm »

*snip*
I should probably consider myself lucky that I never got points taken away for giving imaginary numbers as answers during the time period where that was an alien concept to students.
Two plus six equals the square root of one?

(Yes I know that's wrong)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: October 17, 2012, 02:01:41 pm »

*snip*
You mean the infamous "You don't need to know that." thing that all teachers seem to do?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: October 17, 2012, 02:10:55 pm »

All this school talk reminds me of some interesting interpretation of physics on my (geology) teacher's part.

Basically, some one asked her why Earth only has one moon. Her answer was: "Earth is so small that it cannot maintain more than one moon."

That's right kids, it's all about the law of physics called Gravity-Maintenance. Objects need actively maintain their gravity and towards each individual object at that. If they don't, things just start floating away. I guess that's one reason why humans eat; after all, maintaining our own gravity must consume a lot of energy.

God, I'm getting tired of maintaining my gravity towards this keyboard. I'll stop maintaining it for a while. Ah... that's better.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:15:28 pm by anzki4 »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2277 on: October 17, 2012, 02:21:56 pm »

Don't hate on Luna, she was formed that way.

Why must I think of Lady Gaga singing about hardcore geology? D:

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: October 17, 2012, 02:22:51 pm »

Also ignores things like the ISS and the hundreds of man-made satellites that soak up all that gravity. You should ask her if some day, we'll have so much space junk orbiting the Earth that gravity will start to fail down here.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: October 17, 2012, 02:30:21 pm »

There's some validity to that statement in the sense that in a hypothetical three body Earth, Moon, Second-Same-Sized-Moon system, the two moons might cease to be strictly satellites and Earth would be classified as some kind of dwarf planet thing, but that's kind of a stupid way to answer that question.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 510