Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004129 times)

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #2505 on: October 29, 2012, 02:43:06 pm »

Would this scenario also include the variables induced by the attempted assassination that occurred and the resulting injuries?
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: October 29, 2012, 02:45:02 pm »

I suppose I could break it down per year as a function of stabbing rate (less stabs on busy/assassination year) and integrate to find the total number of stabs...
This is a blank sig.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: October 29, 2012, 03:18:42 pm »

Another thing I failed to consider is body disposal. So we need to have him standing on a very tall platform over the mid-Atlantic Trench or a vat of lava. If he was just standing on some random patch of ground, he'd be buried in a mountain of corpses within days, which would severely curtail further stabbing efforts, seeing as how he'd need to use his knife and hands to dig a gory tunnel to sunlight.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: October 29, 2012, 03:21:10 pm »

This conversation would never have happened on the Sporums.

I'm glad I upgraded to Bay 12.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: October 29, 2012, 03:23:36 pm »

Obviously if the SS are bringing Hitler the bodies, then obviously they would also dispose of them, for maximum Hitler Stabbing Efficiency.

EDIT: What if Hitler used a pitchfork/trident? Would the increase in the number of stabs per second be worth the decrease in the stab-to-kill ratio?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:26:12 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: October 29, 2012, 03:25:37 pm »

So guys, It appears the systemised killings began in June of 1941, so that gives us less time for stabbings.

Another thing I failed to consider is body disposal. So we need to have him standing on a very tall platform over the mid-Atlantic Trench or a vat of lava. If he was just standing on some random patch of ground, he'd be buried in a mountain of corpses within days, which would severely curtail further stabbing efforts, seeing as how he'd need to use his knife and hands to dig a gory tunnel to sunlight.
Well, what if there were a conveyor belt underneath him? It could shuttle bodies of at a steady rate, presumbably to a yard somewhere where they would fight the rising tide of bodies. Of course, going on for years this becomes impractical, so perhaps they simply dumped it in the ocean.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: October 29, 2012, 03:31:16 pm »

maximum Hitler Stabbing Efficiency.
I think this might be the first time those four words were written in this context, instead of the opposite one.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: October 29, 2012, 05:36:58 pm »

If we're going to go for an accurate model, then, we'll need the following conditions:

1 June 1941-7 May 1945 for our timeframe. 1944 was a leapyear so that adds one extra day.

That gives us 1437 days, or 124,156,800 seconds. We'll assume 6 hours per day for sleeping plus 2 hours per day for eating, excreting, and mustache grooming, but zero additional seconds of wasted time due to that SS efficiency. That means he only has 82,771,200 seconds in which to stab. This is where things get tricky.

For 1941, let us assume that he is still fairly out of shape and is suffering from the strain on his arms. We'll equate that to 2 seconds per stab, and 2 stabs per fatality, which gives us a kill ratio of 1 death per 4 seconds. 1941 is responsible for 12,326,400 of the total stab-seconds available, so in 1941 from 1 June to New Year's Eve at midnight, Hitler stabbed 12326400/4 = 3,081,600 people.

After that, he'll be in fairly decent shape as far as his arms go, so we can drop the rate to 1 stab every 1.5 seconds and 1.5 stabs on average for a death. That increases the kill ratio to 1 death per 2.25 seconds. Now, from 1 January 1942 to 7 May 1945 there are 82771200 - 12326400 = 70,444,800 stab-second available. At 1 death per 2.25 seconds, that works out to Hitler stabbing 70444800/2.25 = 31,308,800 people.

The total number of deaths by Hitler-stabbing between 1 June 1941 and 7 May 1945 then works out to be 34,390,400 people, or a little more than three times the actual number of deaths in the Holocaust. By way of comparison, the estimated population of Germany (and annexed territories) in 1939 was approximately 80,600,000 people. For another comparison, the total number of deaths in World War 1 was roughly 16 million.

In conclusion, if Hitler had spent every free moment from June 1941 to VE Day stabbing people in the face, he would have been personally responsible for more than twice as many deaths as World War I.

3. Run Resize Enable

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: October 29, 2012, 05:41:19 pm »

So, slightly more than my on average one death per 100 sec for the 13 years he was in power for? :)

There would come a point where the stabbings would be by necessity carried out on people that would be helping him - mainly the SS, thus harming his efficiency in the later months of stabbing.
This is a blank sig.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: October 29, 2012, 05:47:44 pm »

In 1945, the stated manpower of the SS was at around 840,000 members. So no, he wouldn't be impacting his efficiency. He doesn't even have to draw victims solely from Germany, remember. The war is still ongoing, Hitler is just spending all of his time stabbing people in the face. Arguably, that could help the Nazi war effort and make the war drag on for much longer. But for our purposes it means that he can also draw victims from most of Europe.

3. Run Resize Enable

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: October 29, 2012, 05:48:45 pm »

Good point. I had simply envisaged him running around Berlin stabbing chumps.
This is a blank sig.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #2516 on: October 29, 2012, 05:50:50 pm »

Wouldn't he get RSI/Carpal Tunnel before long?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: October 29, 2012, 05:51:34 pm »

I'm still not sure he could maintain a constant 1/2 stab a second rate for much over a few minutes. 1/10 would be more realistic over a long period of time, seeing as he'd need to rest occasionally with all of that stabbing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: October 29, 2012, 06:08:17 pm »

You also have to account for victim movement. Either victims need to be brought to him, or he needs to move to them. I guess a suitable conveyer belt system could give him the needed time window without any loss of efficiency or wasted time, although you might have people survive the stabs he give them and need to be cycled back around for more stabbings.

Then we have issues of gore making the blade difficult to use, knife replacements for when they get dull, and honestly he'd need some set rests at various points to keep up the effort.

Either way, I think you have to assume something much less than optimal stabbing/death efficiency.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2519 on: October 29, 2012, 06:09:57 pm »

The SS and Gestapo are herding people towards him, this is established :P
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]