Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004493 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #3405 on: January 08, 2013, 03:06:04 pm »

Some of the possible genetic causes of homosexuality, at least in men, are linked to things that are hard to get rid of, too. Like one, a gene that is at a higher statistical rate in homosexual men, is also linked to women who have more children. I.E. female fertility = male homosexuality.

At least, that's what I remember of the times I've read up on it. :3
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: January 08, 2013, 03:11:42 pm »

Genetic tampering to eradicate diseases and disorders is one thing. Doing it to remove something like sexual orientation is another entirely. Eugenics is held in a bad light because it seems like every time it's brought up, it's in the context of weeding out some trait which has little/nothing to do with individual or species-wide health. The basic assumption is that whatever you're trying to get rid of (homosexuality, "Jewish" traits, etc.) are somehow negative. It should be pretty damned clear what's wrong with that view.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3407 on: January 08, 2013, 03:18:43 pm »

I personally look on my own sexuality as a choice, when I was younger I never had the slightest flicker of interest in men, not even slightly strange thoughts. Then one day I was sitting around and though, 'well why the fuck not?'
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: January 08, 2013, 03:23:52 pm »

I suppose its a choice if you find multiple genders attractive.

I dont think I worded that very well, but I know what I mean, even if I can not explain it very well at all.
This is a blank sig.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: January 08, 2013, 03:26:42 pm »

i'm generally oposed to eugenics, but it's kinda more reasonable with homosexuals. i'm not opposed to encouraging them to pair up with individuals of the gender they can't procreate with

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: January 08, 2013, 03:30:02 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Every time I get rickrolled, I watch the whole video. Because I like it.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #3411 on: January 08, 2013, 03:32:25 pm »

It's a touchy subject in any case. No matter what you say, you're bound to insult someone somewhere.

For me, it's a non-issue as long as no one's pushing their own morality or decisions on someone else.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: January 08, 2013, 03:35:17 pm »

I suppose its a choice if you find multiple genders attractive.

I dont think I worded that very well, but I know what I mean, even if I can not explain it very well at all.
Nah, I totally understand what you mean.

i'm generally oposed to eugenics, but it's kinda more reasonable with homosexuals. i'm not opposed to encouraging them to pair up with individuals of the gender they can't procreate with
This, on the other hand....  ???

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: January 08, 2013, 03:48:05 pm »

I think Askot was making a joke, what with homosexuals wanting to pair up with people they can't procreate with. You know, kind of the definition of homosexuality?
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: January 08, 2013, 03:50:03 pm »

The whole we-should-get-rid-of-negative-traits-via-eugenics-thing is touchy subject on other areas as well. For example, while deafness/hearing impairment is consider negative trait by most people, some hearing impairment view it positive or at least neutral thing.

Then of course there is the risk that by curing [negative trait], one would lose some [skill/gift] as well.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: January 08, 2013, 03:54:53 pm »

Then don't do it to the people who don't want it. Problem solved, for the most part.

Plus, we should probably work on a better method of eugenics than simply "Prevent them from breeding."

Like, I dunno, retroviral curing of the mistakes in their genetic code? So while they may have the issue themselves (maybe? I mean, we might be able to fix it in the individual case by mechanical/non-genetic means?) their progeny wouldn't have those issues, and so wouldn't need the same mechanical/non-genetic aid that their parents did.

Does that make sense? >_>

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: January 08, 2013, 04:08:37 pm »

Gene theraphy is expensive, and can cause more deficits than it can solve. At least using retrovirii for mass manipulation. Stem cell theraphy's are a much better choice.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: January 08, 2013, 05:00:02 pm »

Then don't do it to the people who don't want it. Problem solved, for the most part.

I wouldn't want to watch some trait I identify with and am proud of be removed from the population, especially if I knew the reason people were consenting to it was because society hated them. It'd be like a scientific version of ex-gay therapy.

Then you get into the issue of people thinking you're terrible for passing this trait along to your children when you could get the treatment and they'd never have to worry about it. I'm sure it would be pretty easy to frame this as child abuse.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #3418 on: January 08, 2013, 05:10:19 pm »

...I thought this thread was going to be filled with stupid quotes, not genetic discussions ._.

((Welcome to General Discussion, Kirby))

Nevertheless, my Stupid Thing I Heard People Say:

"Bus wanker!" ~A bunch of ten year old kids while I was on a bus on the way home. [/idon'twanttoliveonthisplanetanymore]
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: January 08, 2013, 05:11:44 pm »

...I thought this thread was going to be filled with stupid quotes, not genetic discussions ._.

((Welcome to General Discussion, Kirby))

Nevertheless, my Stupid Thing I Heard People Say:

"Bus wanker!" ~A bunch of ten year old kids while I was on a bus on the way home. [/idon'twanttoliveonthisplanetanymore]
What... Just what?
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 510