Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004246 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #4425 on: April 10, 2013, 08:57:57 pm »

There are occasionally comments like the one you posted that are purely satirical of some of the shit that does actually get posted. If you can't understand that not everything is 100% anything, then you're absurdly myopic and need to reevaluate your worldview. Just like /b/ isn't 100% furries/bronies/pedos/whateverthefuck, youtube isn't 100% 10 year olds.

Wow, in retrospect that's a bit more acid than I intended it to be. Eh.
The sincerity neutralized it.

As for /b/, not even /b/ knows what it is.

Youtube is a different flavour altogether. Original comments died a long time ago. Sane posters do not post.

You will find the lion, the witch and the viral video to be a lot harsher than you remember Lucy... Flame wars as far as the eye can see.

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: April 10, 2013, 09:03:32 pm »

I would clarify that while youtube videos may not be all stupid, the comment section is almost impossible to read without loosing half your sanity/IQ.

This is from my small experience on Youtube
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: April 10, 2013, 09:28:40 pm »

I actually kinda like Comic Sans. I certainly don't think it's the best font in the world, but I enjoy using it. If only because it gets so many people riled up.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: April 10, 2013, 09:33:51 pm »

The point of the video was more or less accurate. The problem is not with the font, but with the problem that people use it in the most inappropriate of ways.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: April 10, 2013, 09:35:42 pm »

Just a little clarification on the fig tree thing.

In Jewish tradition, the fig tree was a symbol of the Jewish people. 
So when Jesus came and found it bare, it was a metaphor for him finding the Jews unresponsive to his teaching. That is why he said, "May no one eat from you again."  He was really saying, "You have really missed the point of being a fig tree"

(Also, I'm not trying to start a debate)

See, this is one of those good biblical metaphors that people need to talk about. It actually seems pretty clever in a literary sense. I'd like to have learned about it in my religion classes instead of just politically relevant stuff.

Normally people base whether something's a metaphor on whether they agree with the literal meaning - oh, Jesus said something I like? Yeah, literal, duh. He said something I didn't like? Metaphor, of course he didn't really mean it like that.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: April 10, 2013, 09:41:18 pm »

That would be getting into the "You don't want to listen to me profess my beliefs, so I hope that yours wither and are abandoned." bit, though, which I suspect may be less than wise. The metaphor isn't really any better, it's just reprehensible instead of batshit crazy.

3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4432 on: April 10, 2013, 10:20:58 pm »

The point of the video was more or less accurate. The problem is not with the font, but with the problem that people use it in the most inappropriate of ways.
I have seen a warning listing the danger of walking into a room (which happened to be filled with explosives) written entirely in comic sans on a frigate. Much horror was to be had.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: April 10, 2013, 10:48:57 pm »

I have seen a warning listing the danger of walking into a room (which happened to be filled with explosives) written entirely in comic sans on a frigate. Much horror was to be had.

I herped when I should have Sans'd.

3. Run Resize Enable

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: April 11, 2013, 09:44:27 am »

See, this is one of those good biblical metaphors that people need to talk about. It actually seems pretty clever in a literary sense. I'd like to have learned about it in my religion classes instead of just politically relevant stuff.

Normally people base whether something's a metaphor on whether they agree with the literal meaning - oh, Jesus said something I like? Yeah, literal, duh. He said something I didn't like? Metaphor, of course he didn't really mean it like that.

Of course, we need to be careful about which words of any great person we ascribe to metaphor.

Now to flying dice, I apologize, but I am not going to explain the entire context of this passage, because it would sound like internet evangelism. Also, it would take too long.  Keep in mind though that
That would be getting into the "You don't want to listen to me profess my beliefs, so I hope that yours wither and are abandoned." bit, though, which I suspect may be less than wise. The metaphor isn't really any better, it's just reprehensible instead of batshit crazy.
this, is just a politer version of the religious debates we have all come to know and love. Actually, I like discussing these things, but in a coffee shop, face to face.  On the internet it is way too easy to read the other's words in a ten-year old's voice.

(Edit)  Especially if they use Comic Sans
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: April 11, 2013, 09:49:47 am »

Eh, anybody that I haven't assigned a voice yet gets read in my own voice.
And yes, I do assign people voices. And yes, Jim Groovster has the deepest, sexiest of them all.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: April 11, 2013, 10:06:28 am »

Janet is mute, isn't she? What voice does she have?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: April 11, 2013, 10:10:03 am »

Janet sounds like Hitagi Senjōgahara.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: April 11, 2013, 11:55:14 am »

Max White sounds like this one guy I know that I want to bone.

Mostly because Max White is this other one guy I know that I want to bone.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

THE MORE YOU KNOW!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: April 11, 2013, 12:14:55 pm »

Eh, anybody that I haven't assigned a voice yet gets read in my own voice.
And yes, I do assign people voices. And yes, Jim Groovster has the deepest, sexiest of them all.
Whatever is it that I sound like, then?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 510